Late Rd. QB?

kearly

Reaction score
He'll probably go undrafted. I find him intriguing in the sense that his biggest problem might be partially fixable- that being his very weak arm. I quickly noticed that he is clueless about stepping into throws. One of the reasons why Colin Kaepernick has such incredible zip on his passes is because he is a former pitcher. Arm strength is a bit of a myth (sort of). Arm strength of course matters, but a good thrower knows how to put his mid section and lower body into the throw. In baseball, most of the power from a pitch generates from the lower body. It's not nearly that extreme in football, but if you aren't using your lower body right, it's going to have a big impact on how much zip you generate.

That said, if we are going to draft a QB with the hopes of justifying a trade or release of Matt Flynn, it really can't be a project type. I'm sold on Matt Scott and maybe EJ Manual (if you give him the Kaepernick treatment). As Kaepernick and Mariota of Oregon have shown, you can partially compensate for indecisive decision making if you have a cannon arm, but Klein will never have that.

I'd be fine with getting him in UDFA and putting him on the PS, but that's about as far as I'd commit right now.

CPHawk

Reaction score
IMHO Klein doesn't have much of a future as a QB. He is athletic as can be, and could be a solid late round pick to move to TE.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Guy looks like a fish trying to walk when he gets under center and drops back.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Klien is entertaining and plays with heart. The kinda' heart that will see him carted off an NFL field (in pre-season). I like the kid but he reminds me of a less athletic Locker and with about 50% the arm strength. I think he ends up in Canada or Europe.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
When I saw this thread title, Klein was exactly the player I had in mind. I think he may go the UFA route, his game reminds me of a right handed Tebow with better delivery. Not a great improviser, has some athleticism to run for a few yards, can make some plays here and there running to the edge or passing down the seam. He really doesn't make a lot of plays under pressure throwing on the run. He is sort of a take what the defense gives you kind of guy. Also, Seems to make up his mind to throw or run quickly after a play begins, like I said not much of an improviser and can't buy much time in the pocket and won't threaten the deep ball outside of the pocket.

I'm kind of interested even with all these issues as his play from the year prior to 2012 increased really well, he seems to have a lot of good tools and led a pretty good offense at Kansas State. One thing I didn't like hearing is he refused to run drills as a TE at the combine workouts at the request of scouts, Cable/Pete/John might have a problem with that but I think he might be worth a comp pick in the 7th if he made it there.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I expect them to pick a QB in the draft if one that they want drops. They have said they want to draft one every year in the past. I suspect its because a QB is a perhaps the best trading chip possible. Heck look what we gave up.... a 3rd to SD for Charlie?