Seahawks 2013 mock draft

cover-2

Reaction score
1st round - (CB) Johnthan Banks 6-1 185 lbs. Mississippi St.: Banks is a tall, long CB that has great ball skills. CB is not a high priority, but if Banks were to be available late in the 1st round he may be too talented to pass up. The Seahawks need to think long term with the salary cap; Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam, K.J. Wright, Browner, Okung are all players that are going to need to be re-signed in the near future. We can't keep them all, so IMO the odd man out would be Browner due to his age, which is why Banks could be a viable option in round 1.
[youtube]yr_i3uH8UQE[/youtube]

2nd round – (WR) Robert Woods 6-1 190 lbs. USC: Woods may not be the biggest or fastest, but he is a play-maker. He has the initial quickness to get open and will provide yards after the catch. Tate and Sidney Rice don't have that initial quickness to quickly get open which IMO is why Russell Wilson has to extend plays with his legs waiting for his guys to get open.
[youtube]1aLPm38LBwg[/youtube]

3rd round – (LB) Gerald Hodges 6-2 233 lbs. Penn St: Hodges is one of the better weak-side LB prospects in the draft. He is athletic, productive in every defensive stat line, and will start from day 1.
[youtube]aH9xVNuxwC4[/youtube]

4th round – (DE) Quanterus Smith 6-5 251 lbs. WKU:
Smith fits the mold for the LEO about as good as any prospect in this draft. He is long, athletic, and explosive. The question teams may have on him is his level of competition and how long will it take him to recover from the injury he had this past year. He will basically have to red-shirt his rookie year, but he has the tools to be an elite pass rusher.
[youtube]vWCAavZMJBY[/youtube]

5th round – (TE) Ryan Griffin 6-6 247 lbs. UConn: IMO he is still highly underrated and could be considered a steal by the end of next season. He is an effective blocker, with good size, and good athletic ability. He is a guy that I think will contribute as a rookie. There is limited youtube highlights of him, but here are a couple that have him in it.
[youtube]cR7A_I4bP3I[/youtube]

This next clip is a highlight clip of Rutgers LB Khaseen Green but keep your eye Ryan Griffin he is the UConn TE wearing jersey #94.
[youtube]VfhOBZfybFg[/youtube]

5th round – (DT) William Campbell 6-5 322 lbs. Michigan: Campbell is a big body that will provide some depth at the 1-tech, Bryant's 5-tech, and maybe some 3-tech. Campbell is not much of a pass rusher at this point, but he is a big guy that is fairly athletic for his size. Boom or bust prospect but worth the risk at this point of the draft. Campbell was a highly recruited player coming out of high school but underachieved while at Michigan, maybe his best football is ahead of him.
[youtube]A_7BGrcIsjo[/youtube]

6th round – (FS/OLB) Kenny Tate 6-4 220 lbs. Maryland: Tate is a former 1st Team All-ACC FS and that is the position I envision him playing for the Seahawks. He was a very finesse/tentative player as an OLB which has killed his draft stock and is the reason I think he will be a late round prospect. Let him compete to back up Earl Thomas and with his Brandon Browner size give him a try at CB.
This following highlight of Tate is from 2010 season when he was still a FS (he played at 220 lbs).
[youtube]cHglU3nYRqQ[/youtube]

7th round – (QB/WR) MarQueis Gray 6-4 245 lbs. Minnesota: Gray is a big time project as a QB because he does not have a lot of starting experience as a QB. But, he has the combination of size and athletic ability that very few NFL QB’s can match. He has some experience as a WR, but again he is a project there as well.
[youtube]U8_y6Xs6Kxs[/youtube]

[youtube]WNR4LEMrIy8[/youtube]

7th round - (KR/PR/CB) Greg Reid 5-8 186 lbs. Valdosta State (he was kicked off the Florida St team): Reid is in the same mold as former LSU (CB) Tyrann Mathieu; undersized play-maker that is a knucklehead off the field. I see him competing against Leon Washington to be the Seahawks KR/PR. While Reid does not have the length that Coach Carroll likes his CB to have, he does have great ball skill and quickness. So give him a chance to play some as the nickle CB.
[youtube]75TeKIyQYlI[/youtube]

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I love Quantarius Smith, but maybe a round or two later. I'd be happy with woods, but not ecstatic. The rest dont know much about.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3qwew01e said:
This is the worst mock for the Hawks I've seen in years. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

I have already done a number of mocks the last few months, I'm just trying to change up the prospects.

pehawk

Reaction score
Unless you too provide mocks, you shouldn't bash someone elses, IMO. Dude put a lot of work in it.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Not sure about corner in round one. It seems like PC and JS have targeted impact players early. Okung, Thomas, Carpenter, Moffitt, Irvin, Wagner and Wilson all started quickly. Tate is the one who's taken time to settle but that's to be expected given his position. Drafting a corner in the first round to me is planning 1-2 years in advance. And given how successfully they've been finding corner's in the later rounds, I doubt they'll believe this is a necessary move. There are players out there that can help improve us for 2013 and I suspect that is the direction they'll go.

kearly

Reaction score
I appreciate the work you put in cover2.

I can't really bash the Banks pick. It will never happen, but it's not like Banks is a bad player. I could easily see him being one of the better picks in the 20-40 range this year.

After hearing the stories about Woods complaining about targets and acting like a diva, I just assumed Pete Carroll wouldn't draft him because being selfless is critical at WR/TE in our offense. Pete has actually shown a pretty strong aversion to USC players too. The highest pick he's spent on a USC player was a 6th rounder.

Favorite pick was your 3rd one. Not sure if he is fast enough for what Pete wants, but he's going to be an NFL pro-bowler for somebody.

two dog

Reaction score
I have no quarrel with anyone's mock because I have not put out a similar effort
and benefit by hearing names I might otherwise not know.

Not a lot of your picks have name recognition and I feel that the Seahawks actual
draft will be similar (in terms of name recognition) and send a lot of us scrambling
to find out "who's he"?

Thanks for the effort.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
kearly":1nesc4qo said:
After hearing the stories about Woods complaining about targets and acting like a diva, I just assumed Pete Carroll wouldn't draft him because being selfless is critical at WR/TE in our offense. Pete has actually shown a pretty strong aversion to USC players too. The highest pick he's spent on a USC player was a 6th rounder.

I hadn't heard that about Woods. Well, that kind of sours me on Woods. As far as being averse to drafting USC players, it probably has more to do with there were better players available at other schools when we selected. If we some how get the 5rd overall pick in the 2013 draft and Marquise Lee is sitting there & is the best player available I doubt he passes on him because he is a USC WR.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1uj5az7x said:
Not sure about corner in round one. It seems like PC and JS have targeted impact players early. Okung, Thomas, Carpenter, Moffitt, Irvin, Wagner and Wilson all started quickly. Tate is the one who's taken time to settle but that's to be expected given his position. Drafting a corner in the first round to me is planning 1-2 years in advance. And given how successfully they've been finding corner's in the later rounds, I doubt they'll believe this is a necessary move. There are players out there that can help improve us for 2013 and I suspect that is the direction they'll go.

Yeah, I doubt they draft a CB as well. I have done a number of mocks on here and changed up the prospects, & putting out some names people may not be familiar with.

HawkWow

Reaction score
It's possible comments made by Woods about (lack of) targets were either taken out of context or made into something more than they were meant to be. I say this because I have seen numerous Woods interviews over the past 2 years and I have only been impressed by him. He comes off as very respectful, very intelligent, a tream player and a person of excellent character.

All that aside, many close to the SC program, including Matt Barkley, felt Kiffin hurt the offense by not targeting Woods enough and too frequently targeting Lee. I know Woods did say he "would have liked to have been targeted more". But in the clip I saw, he said it in passing and in a respectful way. I don't see him as a diva at all. Perhaps just the opposite.

Oh...nice mock Cover-2. I appreciate your effort and shared knowledge.

kearly

Reaction score
cover-2":tubj8nnc said:
kearly":tubj8nnc said:

I hadn't heard that about Woods. Well, that kind of sours me on Woods. As far as being averse to drafting USC players, it probably has more to do with there were better players available at other schools when we selected. If we some how get the 5rd overall pick in the 2013 draft and Marquise Lee is sitting there & is the best player available I doubt he passes on him because he is a USC WR.

There is a saying "familiarity breeds contempt." Which basically means that if you see a player up close enough, you start to get learn his flaws well enough to become disenchanted, whereas some faraway prospect doesn't have that disadvantage. That said, Pete's days as a major USC insider are probably close to over at this point.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Not a fan of a CB in round 1, and I think it is vital we get a few weapons for RW. I also think we will bring in a vet FA DE like Osi, Pace, Idonije, Freeney. My early undetailed mock includes a trade of Matt Flynn for a 3rd round pick. I would take a 3rd straigh up or swap our 3rd for an early 2nd.

1. Kanwaan Short DT
2. Khaseem Green OLB (Brown)
3. Josh Reed TE (Escobar, McDonald)
3. Aaron Dobson WR (Hunter, Rogers, Woods, Bailey) *Flynn Trade
4. Robert Alford CB
5. Corey Lemonier DE
5. Jon Bostic MLB *Curry Trade
6. Jordan Rodgers QB

7. *Rudd Trade
7. *TJax Trade
7. *Comp Pick
7. *Comp Pick

sainthawk29

Reaction score
Love the draft as a representation of players the Seahawks could target.

Not in love with any of picks, especailly with Banks in the 1st. But, I respect the the thought process.

Smith, Campbell, and Hodges are nice late round choices, maybe not my favorite in those spots but thanks for actually doing your homework, and not just throwing the same crap out there.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
CB in the first would be something crazy but probably not JS crazy. Lane, Thurmond, and Maxwell are not so bad we need to upgrade. Malcolm SMith ont he other hand has not shown enough to not find a potential starter at OLB