Datone Jones, DE, UCLA

lukerguy

Reaction score
All I can say is Datone Jones is one of the most polarizing prospects in the draft. Some people have him as top 20 others don't even want him in the 3rd round. I'm more towards the later than the former. I can't seem to find enough good tape that would lead me to believe that he's a disruptive interior pass rusher or run stopper.

two dog

Reaction score
Back on Feb. 5 Kearly said Ansah was a player he was cooling on but that he would take him
in a heartbeat over Datone Jones.

I posted a why but he never came back on the subject. I think Kearly has huge respect here
and I would certainly value his opinion on this.

At the Senior bowl drills Jones looked pretty dynamic. Quick and strong. When I watched game
clips though, none of that showed up. Guess controlled environment drills don't reveal much.

mech.romance

Reaction score
lukerguy":b46xf8du said:
All I can say is Datone Jones is one of the most polarizing prospects in the draft. Some people have him as top 20 others don't even want him in the 3rd round. I'm more towards the later than the former. I can't seem to find enough good tape that would lead me to believe that he's a disruptive interior pass rusher or run stopper.

This. I wouldn't be too excited about Datone Jones as the first round pick. Based off film alone, it doesn't seem as if he makes that big of an impact. 3rd round? Sure. 1st round? No thanks. Give me OG Jonathan Cooper or DE/OLB Dion Jordan.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
lukerguy":2etw0as7 said:

Polarizing...sounds like a perfect JS/PC pick.

Hamhawk

Reaction score
all these draft pick experts and their mocks,...they have us taking a different player almost weekly this time of the year,...by draft time they will have had us taking at least 10 different players,...anyway their chance of hitting on the right choice increases with the numbers and then they can say they nailed it,...it's all in good fun though,...I love mock drafts,...

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I guess if were hedging our bets on whether or not Clemons will ever be back to normal we need another pass rusher on the edge. I'd like to see us concentrate on interior pass rushing first though.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
What is Jones' position?

Seriously.. he's 280lbs. So that's light to play inside. He isn't a LEO. For me his natural position in Seattle is the Jason Jones role. Is that worth a R1 pick?

sliv

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":a3motlhg said:
What is Jones' position?

Seriously.. he's 280lbs. So that's light to play inside. He isn't a LEO. For me his natural position in Seattle is the Jason Jones role. Is that worth a R1 pick?

Yep........He is 280 now probably 290 plus in a couple of years, Henry Melton was 269lbs at the Combine at about the same height. Jason Jones was a nice player when healthy which didn't happen too much last year. This guy could play 5 teq on early downs and offer a better pass rush then Red Bryant, then kick inside on pass downs( I know Red's foot ...not ready to give up on him but he could take some of Red's snaps and keep the big fella healthy and offer a better pass rush............... just saying. He could also play inside on early downs, not on short yardage and not a bunch his rookie year but he could be a rotational player at several spots in his first year and get a ton of snaps, which is worthy of a late first round pick for a playoff team with a good roster.

I posted some video of him a month ago if anybody wants to watch it's consolidated here.............

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=64671

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think Datone Jones is being underrated and that he best football is ahead of him. He is less raw than guys like Dion Jordan or Ezikiel Ansah but mabye not quite as high of an upside as he is not expected to be as quick or fast. He would probably have a bigger impact as a rookie than the other too and could be molded for multiple positions, add that to his great measurables and he does stand out as a JS/PC type.

GoHawks

Reaction score
Seahawks have interviewed him a few times and was scouted by Ken Norton . . . Smokescreen?

Steve Palazzolo‏@StevePalazzolo

Datone has spoken to the Seahawks at both the Senior Bowl and at Combine. Says he’s been recruited by Ken Norton since soph yr of HS

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
sliv":1m3puziy said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1m3puziy said:
What is Jones' position?

Yep........He is 280 now probably 290 plus in a couple of years, Henry Melton was 269lbs at the Combine at about the same height. Jason Jones was a nice player when healthy which didn't happen too much last year. This guy could play 5 teq on early downs and offer a better pass rush then Red Bryant, then kick inside on pass downs( I know Red's foot ...not ready to give up on him but he could take some of Red's snaps and keep the big fella healthy and offer a better pass rush............... just saying. He could also play inside on early downs, not on short yardage and not a bunch his rookie year but he could be a rotational player at several spots in his first year and get a ton of snaps, which is worthy of a late first round pick for a playoff team with a good roster.

I posted some video of him a month ago if anybody wants to watch it's consolidated here.............

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=64671

The Seahawks want size at the five tech. They won't play a 280-290lbs guy there. When Bryant was a doubt for the Chicago game, Carroll stated they were prepared to move Branch to the five tech and start Scruggs at the three. That speaks volumes. If Jones is drafted by Seattle, he's almost certainly playing the three. And I'm sceptical he can do that quickly. Important to remember there aren't many Henry Melton converted running backs out there.

lukerguy

Reaction score
GoHawks":1ghnymxh said:
Seahawks have interviewed him a few times and was scouted by Ken Norton . . . Smokescreen?

Steve Palazzolo‏@StevePalazzolo

Datone has spoken to the Seahawks at both the Senior Bowl and at Combine. Says he’s been recruited by Ken Norton since soph yr of HS

I think so. They interviewed Wilson once at the senior bowl and then never again even though JS had a man crush on him. Irvin was a strong surprise to many on the boards last year. Carp certainly was too.

Latest posts