#99: WR Ryan Swope
#122: QB/WR/RB Denard Robinson
#133: DT/DE Jordan Hill
#153: TE Travis Kelce
#186: CB Micah Hyde
#200: QB Matt Scott
#206: WR Courtney Gardner
#217: RB Kendial Lawrence

Kawann Short is a surgeon when it comes to breaking into the backfield against both the run and pass (but especially the run). Seattle needs more pass rush, but their run defense needs a shot in the arm as well. I don't see the on/off motor issues that everyone complains about. Might not be a hustle player in pursuit, but he's at his best when it counts. Kawann Short won't fix our pass rush, but he'll be a critical component. Similar to the kind of value Brandon Mebane brings at the 1- he won't make a lot of pro-bowls, but he'll be a critical piece of the puzzle.

Seattle needs to take a linebacker fairly early if they want to get a good one who's fast. Courtney Greene is often compared to Lavonte David, but I see him as being this year's Bobby Wagner.

A lot of people don't know who Armonty Bryant is. I'll tell you who he is- he's this year's Russell Wilson type "game of chicken" stealth superstar. A few teams will rate him very highly, but a game will play out to see how long they can wait to pull the trigger. Seattle won that game last year with Wilson, and got a couple of profanity laced calls from the losers during their victory celebration. Bryant has said that many people (presumably scouts) tell him he reminds them of Demarcus Ware. When you watch him on youtube, you can quickly see why. Like last year, the best pick of the draft comes in round 3.

The Seahawks have met with Armonty Bryant, btw.

Seattle needs depth, and maybe a starter upgrade at WR. Of the three starters, Tate and Rice are well ahead of Baldwin in yards per target, and Baldwin will never be a good bet to stay healthy so it's even more important to have a second quality slot WR. This means that the most obvious target at WR is a quality slot option, and I think Ryan Swope might quietly be the best all around slot WR in the draft. He is easily one of the most clutch WRs I've watched when scouting the last few years, and he runs in the 4.4s while standing 6'1" to boot. He just knows how to get open and is an excellent deep threat as well. Tremendously underrated, even if he still looks like he's 15 years old.

Denard Robinson is too great an athlete to ignore, and I think has a very bright future as a change of pace / 3rd down RB. He could easily become a plus kick returner, and at quarterback he'd basically be a faster Tim Tebow, and in a year where read-option QBs are pretty hard to find, that has value. With time he could develop into a WR as well. I think Robinson will be a star in the NFL given time and development. Probably at RB, but I wouldn't rule out backup QB or WR down the road. With time he could be another Antoine Randel-El. If he develops quickly, he could offer Seattle a future after Leon Washington.

I'm not sure if Jordan Hill will last this long, but Tony Pauline thinks he'll go right in this area. Good enough for me. Hill is a tenacious and highly underrated 3-tech that I grade just behind the best DTs in this draft. What I really like about Hill is how he keeps his arms extended and is a very natural 2 gap type player despite playing a 1-gap (3-tech) type position. He has the kind of size to take over for the Red Bryant role. Hill could be a rotational DT in 2013 that takes a few turns at Bryant's spot, and if he looks great at RDE, he could make Bryant expendable in 2014. Best case scenario, Hill is our 5-tech of the future.

Again, not sure if Travis Kelce lasts this long, but it's a deep TE class with a near total lack of consensus, and Tony Pauline (who's big board was very accurate last year) has him 143rd on his board. Kelce is a jack of all trades type. While he isn't a dominant blocker, he is a tenacious one. He's also tall and has good speed for his height. His long arms help him in pass pro. I actually like him a little less than most people do, but the value here is terrific and he just strikes me as a guy that fits our front office and coaching staff really well.

I've included Micah Hyde in every mock so far. Very underrated corner that is good at everything, like a poor man's Dee Milliner. He's not getting any hype, and is looking like a late round steal.

Obligatory Matt Scott pick.

People say there isn't an Andre Johnson type in this draft. Well there actually is, but he might not be drafted. JUCO players (meaning from 2 year universities) are drafted extremely rarely and there are concerns about Courtney Gardner's poor grades (which indicates lack of work ethic). Needs to be coached up some, but he moves like Golden Tate in a 6'3" 220 pound body and can run the forty in 4.38 seconds. Gardner wasn't invited to combine, so unlike Bryant, I expect Gardner to remain under the radar.

I don't think Seattle will draft a RB, I think it's more likely they'll draft an offensive tackle instead, and probably earlier than this. Kendial Lawrence will probably be undrafted, but his quickness and top gear caught my eye when watching other players on youtube. Despite being 5'9", Lawrence weighs 195 pounds and is a strong interior rusher that can also burn teams for very long runs. Reminds me a lot of Ray Rice. Someone like that is worth a long look, especially if Seattle decides to go the WR route with Denard Robinson.

NYCoug

Reaction score
If the Hawks walked away from this draft with this much talent, I'd probably end up like the old dude in Breaking Bad who was in a wheelchair and used a bell to communicate with others. This would seriously blow my mind and probably ruin it forever.

Having said that, let's hope it happens because this would stock the Seahawks roster with even more talent than I think anyone ever thought imaginable for one roster.

aawolf

Reaction score
So, after getting me on the Hopkins bandwagon with a first round pick, has his stock dropped in your eyes?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Not far off from my mock yesterday

1. Kawaan Short DT
2. Khaseem Green OLB (Brown)
3. Josh Reed TE (Escobar, McDonald)
3. Aaron Dobson WR (Hunter, Rogers, Woods, Bailey) *Flynn Trade
4. Robert Alford CB
5. Corey Lemonier DE
5. Jon Bostic MLB *Curry Trade
6. Jordan Rodgers QB

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=65681

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Not really high on the Swoops pick. I'm not sure he'd be an upgrade over Baldwin and as I think it is much cheaper to find a suitable slot WR than a big body who can replace Sidney Rice if he goes down. Unless you bring in a guy like Harvin, Welker or draft Austin for the slot. We need to spend a pick on a project future #1 WR. A guy with size that can out muscle and out jump 5'11 CB's. Hunter, Williams, Rogers, Dobson, Patterson, and Hamilton are all over 6'2, and there are even a few 6'1 guys in Woods and Wheaton that might fall to the 3rd-4th round. I'm on the bandwagon wither we grab a qucik speedy slot who we can move around the field and that can return kicks, or we get a big body that can compete with Tate and/or backup Rice.

If Rice goes down I dread our passing game regresses drastically even with an improved RW throwing the ball.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Wenhawk":q1xioem2 said:
Not really high on the Swoops pick. I'm not sure he'd be an upgrade over Baldwin and as I think it is much cheaper to find a suitable slot WR than a big body who can replace Sidney Rice if he goes down. Unless you bring in a guy like Harvin, Welker or draft Austin for the slot. We need to spend a pick on a project future #1 WR. A guy with size that can out muscle and out jump 5'11 CB's. Hunter, Williams, Rogers, Dobson, Patterson, and Hamilton are all over 6'2, and there are even a few 6'1 guys in Woods and Wheaton that might fall to the 3rd-4th round. I'm on the bandwagon wither we grab a qucik speedy slot who we can move around the field and that can return kicks, or we get a big body that can compete with Tate and/or backup Rice.

If Rice goes down I dread our passing game regresses drastically even with an improved RW throwing the ball.

Swope is 6-1, 206. He's not small, and though he's thought of as a slot guy he has the tools to be a great outside receiver, IMO.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Too bad Jared Abbrederis decided to go back to school. Otherwise I'd expect to see him in there somewhere :)

Sac

Reaction score
kearly":qwje0e8q said:
Last one pre-combine!

#25: DT Kawann Short
#58: DT Brandon Williams
#85: DE Armonty Bryant
#99: LB Zaviar Gooden
#122: WR Quinton Patton

I liked it but I made a couple changes.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2dpravdg said:
kearly":2dpravdg said:
Last one pre-combine!

#25: DT Kawann Short
#58: DT Brandon Williams
#85: DE Armonty Bryant
#99: LB Zaviar Gooden
#122: WR Quinton Patton

I liked it but I made a couple changes.

Doubt Patton or Kelce will be around I think both could go before the end of the 3rd round

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I like it. I would really like Reed at TE I think his skills are a good match. I am concerned about Miller and his concussion history.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Strong Freudian powers are swaying over me when it comes to Khaseem Green, Courtney Gardner, and Courtney Greene. I was just about to run out of the house just now and I thought "I bet I wrote Courtney Greene last night" so I hustled over to my computer and sure enough, I did.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
aawolf":1byb6trg said:
So, after getting me on the Hopkins bandwagon with a first round pick, has his stock dropped in your eyes?

No.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
In the first three rounds, I have few names that would not bother me in the least. Sio Moore, Greene, Brandon Williams, Short, Hopkins, Escobar, Vance McDonald, Armonty Bryant, and Okafor.

Latest posts