Tyler Eifert, better than I thought he'd be

kearly

Reaction score
Won't do a full scouting report right now, but I avoided Eifert for months because almost every prospect that comes out of Notre Dame is over-rated and I decided to put Eifert on the shelf for later because of that.

Yesterday I watched some of his game compilations and I think he's clearly the #1 TE in the draft- which says a lot because I very much like Zach Ertz. Really, really good blocker and might be better than anyone in this draft (including WRs!) at getting at jump balls. He's tall, long, and jumps really high (on tape, at least). Really good athlete that's technically sound as well. Looks more like a really big WR than a TE, but still blocks very well despite that. Has very good hands which he typically extends to the football.

I should say it again for emphasis, Eifert is special as a jump ball target. He is gets "undefendably" high on his jumps, and that could make him a huge weapon in the redzone or on deep pass attempts. Seattle is looking for this type of feature- that's why they brought in Terrell Owens, Braylon Edwards and Evan Moore. And obviously, it is an area that is as of yet unresolved. And Eifert does this as well as anyone I've ever seen, and I don't just mean at tight end.

Still looking for a negatives on him, they aren't easy to spot. Hand strength could be better (DBs can knock the ball out of his hands), and his speed is hard to judge, looks fast some plays and slow on others. I think he's an H-back that's a good enough blocker to be used in rushing attempts, so there aren't any worries about his being on the field telegraphing run/pass. I'd consider him a good value at #25.

Ertz's stock is dropping right now because of measurables, but even before I heard about that I had Eifert higher. I think both are way ahead of the top tight end prospects from last year.

[youtube]6N4wxop7148[/youtube]

[youtube]4xxyzkQmoFs[/youtube]

[youtube]ZubB3r93vCM[/youtube]

seahawks875

Reaction score
I think he'll be a good Red zone target, but I think he'll have problems getting separation from defenders in the nfl

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up. I'm weary of Norte Dame players as well, but as long as he isn't a Notre Dame overrated middle linebacker I guess I won't cringe if the Seahawks draft him. If they do, hopefully we won't all regret it during the regular season.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I've watched enough.

Eifert is Gronk-like in the mismatches he can create. He'd be an OC's dream.

He's very fluid in motion and he's deceptively fast, particularly out of his breaks. He's got quick hips like a WR. Don't see that at all in TEs.

This kid is a keeper. If he falls to the Hawks, I'd take him over Hopkins... seriously.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
seahawks875":3o6c3gcp said:
I think he'll be a good Red zone target, but I think he'll have problems getting separation from defenders in the nfl

He has problems getting separation in college, so yeah, I agree. This is true for all but a handful of TEs in the NFL though, and his incredible elevation skills make separation meaningless when the QB offers him a jump ball. Wilson really likes to throw jump balls. Watch a 2012 Wilson highlight reel and you'll see a bunch of big plays or touchdowns that forced his target to get up in the air.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1kfy23e6 said:
This kid is a keeper. If he falls to the Hawks, I'd take him over Hopkins... seriously.

The choice at #25 will not be an easy one this year, that's for sure.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Getting separation can often be helped along by astute offensive coordinators, if he can be shifted around formations to take advantage of mismatches, then coupled with his leaping ability, he could turn into a reliable target for Wilson, red zone or not.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
He def has the ability to snatch overthrown and jump balls out of the air over defenders and we need a guy like that for Wilson, but #25 is very high for us to take a TE with $11m already locked up in Miller. Not that i'd be upset but I wonder if Kelce, McDonald, Escobar, or Reed in the 2-4th would be better value

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
I would take Ertz over Eiffert in a heart beat. Not sure if spending our 1st rounder on a TE is really the way to go though.

aawolf

Reaction score
kearly":3qjnz7jd said:
seahawks875":3qjnz7jd said:

He has problems getting separation in college, so yeah, I agree. This is true for all but a handful of TEs in the NFL though, and his incredible elevation skills make separation meaningless when the QB offers him a jump ball. Wilson really likes to throw jump balls. Watch a 2012 Wilson highlight reel and you'll see a bunch of big plays or touchdowns that forced his target to get up in the air.

Kearly:
I had Eifert as my top tight end in the tight end thread as well, and Kelce was my second. Who is better value, in your opinion? Eifert in the 1st or Kelce in the 3rd or 4 th round? I'd pick Kelce for value.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
FortWorthSeahawk":22tfkul1 said:
Eifert is having a pretty good day at the combine as well, for what it's worth.
Damn right.

His vertical was outstanding, WR-ish at 34.5', his long jump was solid (119") and his bench press was good as well (22).

GoHawks

Reaction score
Really like Eifert, but can we get better value later in draft?

Kip - any insight on TE Chris Gragg of Arkansas? His Combine #'s are pretty impressive, 5th Rnd

Combine

[youtube]49dhCOLxzDE[/youtube]

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Looks like a really impressive athlete in that video. Looks like a WR.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Don't we already have a reliable TE target for Wilson? This guy may be great, but it seems we have other more pressing needs.

Veilside

Reaction score
I think I'd rather get Cook or Keller in FA than spend a 1st round pick on a TE when we still have weaknesses on defense we must fix. That said, if a good option in FA isn't available then I wouldn't be against getting our TE early in the draft.

Anyone know if Titans or Jets are looking to keep those guys at all?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Veilside":1pslg4rq said:
Anyone know if Titans or Jets are looking to keep those guys at all?

Last I read is Keller will not be re-signed by the Jets and the Titans are trying to keep Cook.