Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: The "Everyone is doing it so I will too" Mock w/Flynn Trade
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:30 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:32 am
Posts: 335
Am I on to something with these picks or am I off the reservation? Feedback encouraged!

1 DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson - Really like what he would bring to this offense. No explanation necessary based on the love of Hopkins on this board.

2 Kawann Short, DT, Purdue **Flynn traded for a swap of 2nd round picks (somewhere in the 33-40 range)** - Again, no explanation really necessary on this board.

3 Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M - I love this guy as our WLB of the future. He has the size, athleticism and speed JS and PC seem to covet.

4 Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati - Recent reports that this guy is a headcase could cause him to fall to this point. I'll take my chances with his character concerns at this point in the draft.

5 Michael Buchanan, DE, Illinois - Really like the value here and he would step in and compete from day one at Clem's spot until he's 100% again.

5 Matt Scott, QB, Arizona - The obligatory selection around these parts. I could see us picking him higher, especially if we do trade Flynn.

6 Kerwynn Williams, RB, Utah State - Competition for Leon. I could easily see him taking Leon's job to be honest.

7 Manase Foketi, OT, West Texas A&M - Versatile and could be plugged in at G or OT.

7 Vernon Kearney, CB, Lane College - Good size and speed combo here. He is a little lighter than we're used to but seems like our type of guy. Good depth if nothing else.

7 Rontez Miles, FS, California (PA) - PC and JS prove once again that they are pretty good at this whole draft thing by grabbing Earl's backup in the 7th round. At worst this guy could be a very valuable special teams ace for us.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Everyone is doing it so I will too" Mock w/Flynn Trade
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:30 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:04 am
Posts: 424
I agree with literally every one of your picks from 1-6. The only reason I don't agree about your round 7 picks is because I don't know about them and have not seen them play. That said, if the draft went like this, I'd be happy.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Everyone is doing it so I will too" Mock w/Flynn Trade
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:31 am 
* NET Moderator *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
Posts: 18457
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
If all we can get for Flynn is a swap of 2nd round picks i'd much rather keep him. But I like your draft for the most part. I do think Matt Scott is pretty overrated here. I dont think he's even an NFL QB personally.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Everyone is doing it so I will too" Mock w/Flynn Trade
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:23 pm 
*Host of .NET Awards*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
Posts: 8925
Location: With a white girl
I dig it. But I agree with J. I'm pretty sure we'll get more than a swap of 2nds though. I'm thinking we get a 2nd and give up a 5th.

_________________
Legal Notice: Only a very small percentage of the things I do and say can be taken seriously. If ever.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Everyone is doing it so I will too" Mock w/Flynn Trade
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:39 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm
Posts: 1827
Conditional pick for Flynn all the way. Gives the Hawks the potential for a fairly high pick if he plays well. Downside for all those salivating now is that the pick wouldn't come until 2014, but I think that's the way to go with Flynn. The market may not really be there for his services in terms of a straight up pick so give him the opportunity to earn the Hawks more.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Everyone is doing it so I will too" Mock w/Flynn Trade
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:19 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:32 am
Posts: 335
My thinking on Matt Scott was that we would draft him as our 3rd QB and sign a vet as backup.

As far as the swap of second rounders goes a couple things: First, that's about the approximate value of a mid third round pick on the "value chart" which would be great value for Flynn. Second, getting back into the early 2nd would be huge because there's an absolute gold mine of talent in our weak spots right in that general area.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Everyone is doing it so I will too" Mock w/Flynn Trade
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:24 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 9828
Nice mock. If you want Porter, you could probably wait until one of your 5th rounders. Most sites have him listed in that area right now, though that might change after the combine.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Everyone is doing it so I will too" Mock w/Flynn Trade
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:26 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 9828
JSeahawks wrote:
If all we can get for Flynn is a swap of 2nd round picks i'd much rather keep him. But I like your draft for the most part. I do think Matt Scott is pretty overrated here. I dont think he's even an NFL QB personally.


You also get $15.5 million in extra cap space that will carry over for years. I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. I think our GM would probably trade Flynn for a 7th round flip, and would cream his jeans if he was offered a 2nd round flip. Flynn doesn't want to be a long term backup, Seattle will try to accommodate him. And Seattle doesn't want to spend that kind of money on an insurance policy anyway.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Everyone is doing it so I will too" Mock w/Flynn Trade
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:58 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 am
Posts: 2006
Location: Graham, WA
kearly wrote:
I think our GM would probably trade Flynn for a 7th round flip, and would cream his jeans if he was offered a 2nd round flip.


I have to disagree, I doubt we'd take less than a 5th but suspect a 3rd or 4th is fair value. I do think a conditional would make a ton of sense and would even offer our 2nd and an extra 5th or 7th this year plus Flynn for an early 2nd and a conditional 3-5th next year.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Everyone is doing it so I will too" Mock w/Flynn Trade
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:02 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 am
Posts: 2006
Location: Graham, WA
SuperHawks wrote:
Am I on to something with these picks or am I off the reservation? Feedback encouraged!

1 DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson - Really like what he would bring to this offense. No explanation necessary based on the love of Hopkins on this board.

2 Kawann Short, DT, Purdue **Flynn traded for a swap of 2nd round picks (somewhere in the 33-40 range)** - Again, no explanation really necessary on this board.

3 Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M - I love this guy as our WLB of the future. He has the size, athleticism and speed JS and PC seem to covet.

4 Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati - Recent reports that this guy is a headcase could cause him to fall to this point. I'll take my chances with his character concerns at this point in the draft.

5 Michael Buchanan, DE, Illinois - Really like the value here and he would step in and compete from day one at Clem's spot until he's 100% again.

5 Matt Scott, QB, Arizona - The obligatory selection around these parts. I could see us picking him higher, especially if we do trade Flynn.

6 Kerwynn Williams, RB, Utah State - Competition for Leon. I could easily see him taking Leon's job to be honest.

7 Manase Foketi, OT, West Texas A&M - Versatile and could be plugged in at G or OT.

7 Vernon Kearney, CB, Lane College - Good size and speed combo here. He is a little lighter than we're used to but seems like our type of guy. Good depth if nothing else.

7 Rontez Miles, FS, California (PA) - PC and JS prove once again that they are pretty good at this whole draft thing by grabbing Earl's backup in the 7th round. At worst this guy could be a very valuable special teams ace for us.


Like rounds 1,2,3,4, and 6

I'd be so stoked if we could get an early 2nd, tons of talent there.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Everyone is doing it so I will too" Mock w/Flynn Trade
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:05 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am
Posts: 7855
I agree with Kip... I think swapping 7th rounders right now seems like a deal they'd do.

JS and PC have already gone from, "We will listen to offers" to "We want him to stay" in a matter of weeks. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest nobody wants to pay valuable draft stock for a QB with his skill set getting close to 30. And they probably don't want to pay his current salary either.

Flynn will probably be the backup next year unless they cut him.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Everyone is doing it so I will too" Mock w/Flynn Trade
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:31 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 am
Posts: 2006
Location: Graham, WA
Philly
NYJ
Oak
Jax
KC
Min
Buf
AZ
Clev

all have questions at QB there are only 2 or 3 guy who could start this season in the draft I think vet QB's have value and Flynn should be worth more than Alex Smith, once he's cut and sign another team will get desperate and do something, plus we have connects with the NYJ and JAX and might be able to make a deal.

Hypothetically if we could get Alex smith for 2.5M I'd give up a 5th for him and I think Flynn is worth more and we are not nearly as desperate for a QB as some teams.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Everyone is doing it so I will too" Mock w/Flynn Trade
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:52 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:32 am
Posts: 335
theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
I agree with Kip... I think swapping 7th rounders right now seems like a deal they'd do.

JS and PC have already gone from, "We will listen to offers" to "We want him to stay" in a matter of weeks. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest nobody wants to pay valuable draft stock for a QB with his skill set getting close to 30. And they probably don't want to pay his current salary either.

Flynn will probably be the backup next year unless they cut him.


Yeah I think they'd be willing to part with him for far less for the $ savings alone but it only takes one team to be desperate enough to make a trade like the one I mocked. I also don't think it's a stretch to say that PC and JS' public position change is anything more than posturing.

In any event I'm 90% certain Flynn won't be a Seahawk on opening day.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Everyone is doing it so I will too" Mock w/Flynn Trade
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:02 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 10:32 am
Posts: 335
kearly wrote:
Nice mock. If you want Porter, you could probably wait until one of your 5th rounders. Most sites have him listed in that area right now, though that might change after the combine.


Interesting. Which sites are you looking at out of curiosity? I've seen 3rd and 4th round grades but not 5th.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hawknation2014 and 9 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.