Do the Hawks Draft a LEO early in this draft?

polarbill1999

Reaction score
This is kind of 2 parts.

First, do you think Bruce is actually capable of becoming an every down LEO for the Hawks? If you say yes I suppose you would also say that they wouldn't use an early round pick on one. If no then maybe you would say yes?

If you think yes who might fit that role that will be a first 3 rounds guy? IS it pretty obvious that the FO believes a Hawk LEO is a guy similar to Clemons or Irvin? Meaning a tweener DE/OLB that is fast but that plays pretty much strictly on the Dline?

Any guys that may fit the LEO role that are either bigger(more of a true 4-3 DE) or a pass rushing 3-4 OLB? What guys might fit either of those descriptions that can help the pass rush?

Any chance Dion Jordan falls all the way to the 25th pick? I would love this guy as a LEO that can play a little more like an OLB than Clemons or Irvin.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Is there even a perfect LEO in this draft? I guess Mingo fits the bill but he seems like a carbon copy of Irvin to me. Moore from Texas A&M might be a good fit too but he is gonna be picked very high. Seems like this draft is stronger on heavier more traditional DE's rather than lighter LEO types.

McGruff

Reaction score
We will not draft a Leo early. Bruce is that guy long term.

Either an interior pass rusher or a rotational pass rushing 5 tech are the needs.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Irvin was a pretty raw coming out last year, so growing pains should be expected. I'm taking the Max Unger approach with Bruce. I see enough that makes me think he can a full time starter, but then again, he may not. He needs at least one more year before we write him off as a pass rusher, only. I think he gets his shot to start to begi the season, unless a vet gets signed.

I really like Mingo as a LEO, but hes too similar to Irvin, except the fact i think he has better endurance than Bruce.

Travardo Williams from Uconn is a guy who fits the tweener Leo role that will be available after the first.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I say yes Bruce is the guy long term. But I also wouldn't be surprised if we grabbed another LEO in the first couple rounds.

How many times did we see Clem and Bruce on the field together at the same time? Also Clem and Brock, when he was here, played at the same time a ton too. Having one good LEO on your roster isn't enough.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Cornelius Washington just cemented himself IMO as the perfect LEO. Great length (6'4", 34
+"), speed (4.53, 1.60) and power (36 reps). I think this is the ideal guy. Won't fit every team. Won't cost a 1st rounder. Love this guy. Plays pretty mean too.

On another note, Jon Bostic just put his name in the Seahawks basket. Outside of the Quinn connection, he posted a blazing 40 time and is a good run defender from the MIKE. I know people hate this, but could be a very cost effective way to upgrade the LB corps (and speed), by drafting Bostic for the MIKE, slide Wagz to the WIL (I still maintain OLB is his best position).

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":29mb4hd1 said:
Is there even a perfect LEO in this draft? I guess Mingo fits the bill but he seems like a carbon copy of Irvin to me. Moore from Texas A&M might be a good fit too but he is gonna be picked very high. Seems like this draft is stronger on heavier more traditional DE's rather than lighter LEO types.

Kid stank it up today, was terrible. I'd like Jarvis Jones maybe, but Pete's staff ruled him out once, so I doubt we consider him.

kearly

Reaction score
Possibly, but I really hope not. Best LEO options this year will leave the board from rounds 3-6. Whole point of the LEO is to get production on the cheap and this draft class reflects that as well.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":2yjkq8am said:
Cornelius Washington just cemented himself IMO as the perfect LEO. Great length (6'4", 34
+"), speed (4.53, 1.60) and power (36 reps). I think this is the ideal guy. Won't fit every team. Won't cost a 1st rounder. Love this guy. Plays pretty mean too.

On another note, Jon Bostic just put his name in the Seahawks basket. Outside of the Quinn connection, he posted a blazing 40 time and is a good run defender from the MIKE. I know people hate this, but could be a very cost effective way to upgrade the LB corps (and speed), by drafting Bostic for the MIKE, slide Wagz to the WIL (I still maintain OLB is his best position).

Agree, I started that whole could Wagner play WLB. I think adding Bostic in the 4th would work.

Chawker

Reaction score
I believe in Irvin's ability to be productive in our defence, either we draft a more conventional DE and move Irvin to OLB or draft a replacement for KJ with better blitzing abilities. But a LB who excelled at the blitz would free up and help Irvin with his duties.