Aaron Dobson

kearly

Reaction score
I've been asked about Aaron Dobson. There isn't a ton of stuff out there, but I've looked at all I could find. Here is what I think about him.

Good size (6'2.66", 210). Didn't run the 40 at the combine. Looks like a 4.6 speed in the game compilations- he doesn't look blazing fast. A youtube commenter compared him to Roy Williams and I think that's the right "category" for someone like Dobson, although Williams had a drop problem and Dobson seems very gifted catching the ball despite having small hands.

I'd compare him to maybe a taller Brandon Lloyd with less route running ability. Like Lloyd, Dobson shines the brightest when asked to make tough catches, but like Lloyd, a catch is usually followed immediately by a tackle. Didn't see much that made me think he was a YAC guy.

Nothing really excites me about Dobson, he seems like a generic NFL WR. His size and hands probably make him a draftable prospect though. I think he'll need to post a 40 time under 4.55 for the Seahawks to be interested though, but we'll see. I'd probably give him a 6th round grade in this draft class, maybe a 4th round grade in an average WR group. I think if we drafted him, he'd another Ben Obomanu, a quality backup, but not a star.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Thanks, The guy really can make tough catches and Lloyd seems like a great comparison from what I've seen. I would argue that he brings more to the table than a guy like Obomanu simply for his size he was 6'3 210lbs at the combine, and has the ability to make tough catches. Obo was neither big or really adept at going up and pulling in tough catches. I guess I rate him much higher than you as I think if he runs well at his pro day like 4.45 he will dart up the draft boards and be in the conversation with guys like Hunter, Williams, and Wheaton but will probably be a 3rd round pick.

He's some snapshots from some other scouting services about this guy

Presents a tall, long build prototypical of outside vertical receivers. Runs a bit high but has a fair three-step game off the line. Ankle flexion to create separation on comeback patterns. Possesses strong hands, length, and good concentration to snatch high and wide passes. Tracks the ball well over his shoulder and makes acrobatic one-handed catches. Can make a catch with a defender draped on him. Difficult for smaller cornerbacks to drag him down, as he will churn through contact to get the extra yardage. Able to free himself off press coverage using his hands.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/aar ... d=2539256/

Aaron Dobson has quietly had a great career at Marshall, despite not having an NFL-quality arm throwing to him. With an arm that can deliver the ball down the field on a consistent basis, Dobson’s production would have been greatly improved.He has improved every year in college and I expect his best football to be played in the NFL. If he is able to refine his technique a bit, he will quickly become a fixture on highlight shows.A tall receiver that can get over the top of cornerbacks is never over-looked on draft day and I’d imagine that despite a probable 4.5 time in the forty yard dash, we’ll hear Dobson’s name called in the first 100 picks of the 2013 NFL Draft.
http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/12/ ... eport.html

Dobson is a speed burner who was clocked with a 4.33-second 40-yard dash during the preseason in 2009, according to the school. After seeing limited action as a freshman, he led the team with 44 catches for 689 yards and five touchdowns as a sophomore.

Savvy route-runner whose body control and reliable hands made him a standout at the Senior Bowl. Good attention to detail. He sets up defensive backs well, selling his routes to push defensive backs deep even on running plays and showing off strength and determination as a downfield blocker. He also consistently worked his way back to the quarterback. Can leap high, contort his body and haul in difficult passes in deep coverage. Very good hand-eye coordination and shows the ability to make the difficult reception look easy. Is consistently able to make the reception despite defenders in close proximity. Voted team captain in 2012. COMPARES TO: Sidney Rice, WR, Seattle Seahawks

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... on-dobson/

Possesses strong mitts that swallow the ball. Will let the ball into his body on occasion with underneath throws. Appears more natural and comfortable catching the ball above his shoulders. Has a basketball background and it shows on tape with his body control, leaping and ability to adjust to throws outside of his frame. Uses his frame well to shield defenders with contested throws in traffic. Tracks the deep ball naturally and can extend arms and use soft hands to cradle the ball. Can make acrobatic one handed catch
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/29968

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I am a big fan of Dobson - one of my favorite non-first round prospects. I see him as a player that could attract some Seahawk attention. Long arms and big hands, good route runner, and solid blocker. if he comes it at a 4.5 40 on his pro day, he seems like a likely target. I have him mocked to Seattle in the 4th, but he may see his stock rise even more after a solid pro-day

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
If he runs a 4.45 then that changes things. I'm assuming he's around 4.6 (which is basically NFL average). Speed is notoriously difficult to judge from tape though.

Players almost always run faster on their pro-days, probably because pro-day times are unofficial and official times are usually a hair slower than unofficial ones. He'd need to run a low 4.4's type time to get my attention at a pro day.

If he does run that well, then I'd probably rank him over Justin Hunter. I think Hunter is pretty blase as well.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Just looked it up his Pro day is 13 March, can't wait to see his 40 time. This guys has tons of updside and to repeat myslef again his best football is ahead of him. A team leader who has played a ton of footbal, with the size, speed, hands, and skill for the nfl the only thing that held him back was his QB and smaller school. I see a potential Josh Gordon or Kenny Britt. Give this kid 2 years with RW and I bet he becomes a star.

This guys is very high on Dobson think he could be a 2nd round pick
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/3/3/4 ... -hard-look