Draft Matt Elam, Move Kam to WLB

SDHawk

Reaction score
[youtube]rREjDTpTedE[/youtube]

Can play nickelback and looks excellent blitzing the QB, fits right in with our style and philosophy. Should really help to make this defense more aggressive. Kam really has ideal tools to play the WLB position. With Elam at SS, we might lose a little on size but the physicality/intensity is still there. Plus, Dan Quinn is familiar with Elam so the transition will be quicker than others. In fact, I expect us to look closely at a bunch of Gators in this draft including Jordan Reed (TE), Jelani Jenkins (WLB), Larentee McCray (WLB) and Josh Evans (FS).

kearly

Reaction score
Definitely looks like a Pete Carroll type in that highlight reel. I doubt he comes close to #56, but if he did, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Seattle dratfted him. Even if they extend Chancellor before then, there are plenty of ways to get Chancellor on the field.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
Gus Bradley was scouting him at the Florida pro day. I would try and move up to the top of the 2nd to scoop him up.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Why would we want to move a former pro-bowler to a position he has never played before? I get the reasoning and I love Elam as well.........but why fix something when it isn't broke?

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
The transition need not be right away. Malcolm Smith or whoever can start at WLB with Kam spelling on occasion. We can bring Elam in on nickel packages as a slot corner, etc. Can never have too of these types. Plus, God forbid, there is an injury. I know we have Jeron but depth, especially as talented as Elam, is always a good idea.

cfrschang7

Reaction score
i remember reading something, i believe on field gulls, where they had draft prospects who had very similar measureables with current seahawks...

matt elam's numbers were identical to jeron johnson's.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3shie57w said:
Why would we want to move a former pro-bowler to a position he has never played before? I get the reasoning and I love Elam as well.........but why fix something when it isn't broke?
Because people think they are playing madden. We get 5 posts like this a week.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I think Elam has a shot to be one of the best five safety's in the NFL over the next few years. Very talented and a bizarre number of naysayers in the draft community. Could easily be Cincy's first rounder, Baltimore at #32 is an option and so is Denver and New England in the late first. Plus I suppose Jacksonville at #33...

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":3nj173xb said:
Blitzer88":3nj173xb said:

This, Elam reminds me an awful lot of Reggie Nelson. Lots of highlights, disappears far too often.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'd trade up for the dude. With Earl, Kam, and Elam in the secondary, Carroll could basically invent shit. A truly disguised 43/nickel hybrid.

Maybe I have too much faith in Pete's out of the box thinking . . . but like Elam said, his playmaking screams Carroll/"unique skills."

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Blitzer88":16jtj6z6 said:
It might be 100% because of his foot injury, but Kam seemed off last year and he didn't look very good in coverage. Maybe a switch in positions might not be the worst thing in the world.

With the way this FO works, we shouldn't ever throw out any possibilities, even if it is moving a former probowl SS to WLB. But hey even last year before the draft Schneider was talking about drafting S Barron. So it might not even equal a positional switch, rather just getting your best 11 players on the field at the same time and challenging the "norm"

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":26nroni2 said:
I think Elam has a shot to be one of the best five safety's in the NFL over the next few years. Very talented and a bizarre number of naysayers in the draft community. Could easily be Cincy's first rounder, Baltimore at #32 is an option and so is Denver and New England in the late first. Plus I suppose Jacksonville at #33...

Thanks, so let me ask you, is he worth moving up the draft to snag considering the talent we have there already or are there other more pressing needs you would like to see Seattle address before even thinking about adding another safety? FWIW, I think we clearly have other pressing needs (WLB, DT, RT, TE) but I think we can find value for those positions later in the draft.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3udrcvwi said:
Blitzer88":3udrcvwi said:
It might be 100% because of his foot injury, but Kam seemed off last year and he didn't look very good in coverage. Maybe a switch in positions might not be the worst thing in the world.

With the way this FO works, we shouldn't ever throw out any possibilities, even if it is moving a former probowl SS to WLB. But hey even last year before the draft Schneider was talking about drafting S Barron. So it might not even equal a positional switch, rather just getting your best 11 players on the field at the same time and challenging the "norm"

I thought Kam had a good year except perhaps until the playoffs. Its fair to say that he really had a poor game against Washington. Tony Gonzalez and Atlanta picked on him a bit too, but I will say there is no shame in getting beat by the best TE in NFL history. Its not like Kam is the only safety Tony G has abused.

He didn't create as many turnovers as in 2011, but he was still there with the big hits and the tackles. And keep in mind it was only his second year starting. I do not think he has come that close to reaching his full potential yet. Elam seems like a nice player but I'd be against moving Kam. A far better outcome in my opinion would be one of the actual WLBs falling to our pick at 56

NYCoug

Reaction score
cacksman":2e03ou0v said:
God I hope SF doesn't draft him.

Tell me about it. I agree with English, I think Elam can be an elite safety. I love his game. I'd hate it if he ends up in San Fran. Or St. Louis for that matter, gotta start worrying about them too.

As for the Hawks adding Elam? I'd love it, but it probably won't happen. He'll be gone before Seattle gets a chance. If there's a draft day miracle and he falls though? Seattle's gotta jump on it. Excellent depth and would be a terror on special teams for a while. Getting a talent like Elam at #56 would be out of this world.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":2vz5lhc2 said:
T-Sizzle":2vz5lhc2 said:
Blitzer88":2vz5lhc2 said:

This, Elam reminds me an awful lot of Reggie Nelson. Lots of highlights, disappears far too often.

Reminds me of Ryan Clark.