Seahawks set up "official visit" for Rufus Johnson

kearly

Reaction score
Rufus Johnson has just two official visits scheduled: San Diego and Seattle.

IIRC, teams have a maximum of 50 official visits they can request per draft. Seattle had at least Korey Toomer and Jeremy Lane on their official visit list last year among their 2012 draft picks.

From Tony Pauline's Draft Insider:

DE/OLB Rufus Johnson, who totaled 17.5 tackles for loss and 10 sacks last season, looked good from start to finish at Tarleton State pro-day. Johnson measured [6'6"] 6054/266lbs, was timed officially at 4.72 in the forty, posted a vertical jump of 34.5-inches and broad jump of 10′-2”. He worked out at defensive line drills before the Cleveland Browns put him through a battery of linebacker exercises. Teams requested Johnson workout again at the Texas State workout next week, March 26th. Johnson already has official visits set up with the Seattle Seahawks and San Diego Chargers.

[youtube]UCp-Ee3h-nc[/youtube]

Johnson played his football at Tarleton State, a Division II school.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
My opinion: He's a big guy that can move but not a natural defensive end. His appeal to the Seahawks is obvious as they are always looking for guys with athletic talent that need coaching up. Their interest in someone like this makes me think they'd be interested in Margus Hunt as well.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Obviously, what's not to like about the measurables. It'll probably take a while to coach him up and get him to where he's a contributor, but who knows what he could become if he "gets it"? Agreed about Margus Hunt. If there's any team that could make Hunt work, it's Seattle.

Plus, this team needs another small-school defender named Rufus. The last one wasn't so bad...

[youtube]KrmoMT2THHM[/youtube]

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does Seattle seem like the old 1920s through 1960s Yankees. It's like every obscure prospect that ever gets interviewed ends up with "Seahawks have been at me the longest". We must have a literal scouting army.

Seriously, it's like Seattle has already met with them before their very first pee wee football practice.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Seahawks also have an official visit for Ryan Jensen, CSU-Pueblo.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Our scouting department deserves some props. They really leave no stone unturned.

I'm impressed with the diversity of our interests -- not contained by region or level. Just the other day we were at both the Montana and Appalachian State pro days.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
kearly":32auov62 said:
My opinion: He's a big guy that can move but not a natural defensive end. His appeal to the Seahawks is obvious as they are always looking for guys with athletic talent that need coaching up. Their interest in someone like this makes me think they'd be interested in Margus Hunt as well.

Hmmm.... but this would cost less draft capital, maybe a 5th-7th vs Hunt in the 2nd or 3rd.

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":1163e5qt said:

The difference being this dude is 5th round talent who will be drafted in the seventh, while Hunt is 5th round talent who will be drafted in the second.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I think he plays to high(pad level) and if the hawks were to take a player with the size of this guy or hunt i would take Devin Taylor seems to get the game more and could develop fast.

Chawker

Reaction score
The thing I find most intriguing about this is the fact that the workout is being heald at Texas st. I wonder why? Maybe their checking out a Bobcat player....but who could it be hmm.... JB!