pick #56 is Jordan Mills?

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Seen a report not too long ago that said seattle was expected to take him earlier than expected and he is projected for the 3rd so that means seattle takes him at 56 right?.
without any glaring need on the DL + no one we really like their anymore and all the top LB's are probably off the board i wonder if Mills is their do the Hawks take'em. Tackle is a position of need becuase who is seattle's back up tackle anyway so i think it would be wise to take a OT in the 2nd rd if the value was their.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Here's the thing.

Seattle is a bit of a paradigm. We have a well earned reputation for taking players too early. So there is often times an assumption that we almost look to do that.

But as last year showed us, we also have an extremely developed sense of how far prospects can be expected to fall. We both show incredible restraint as well as seemingly nail biting impatience.

Actually, I think the 'draft too early' thing is a bit overblown. While we aren't afraid to do it, I tend to think it becomes more of a byproduct of not finding a suitable trade situation where we can feel comfortable with what we get in return, as well as how likely will we still get our man. I think the draft too early is the fallback.

So if we are looking at Mills early, I don't see any way in the world that we are picking at #56. Not only will he be available much later, but the way this draft is, that pick is going to be a moveable commodity.

If you are right on the player, then there will be a trade down. You can almost book it.

John and Pete have demonstrated that they are not fools. And they could be the best in the business at being able to forecast who is going to take whom. They are not afraid to enter into deals where superficially, it looks like they lost value. They are attractive trade partners for the rest of the league because we often will present a sweet deal from their perspective. We aren't a FO that has to be the winner of every trade. I think that kind of fairness keeps the trade lines wide open in future dealings with GMs.

I can see a move to the early/mid third round while picking up a 2014 pick if Mills was our goal. That'd give us 8 picks in 2014 already -- a good start.

two dog

Reaction score
Given the nature and depth of this draft, I certainly would not mind a trade-down,
especially if it recouped our third next year.

We have the roster to allow it and the savvy GM to execute a trade-back and still get
players that he and Pete like.