Rob Rang: Seattle Seahawks Spotlight

SNDavidson

Reaction score
NFLdraftscout.com

"This is the 23rd of a team-by-team series, analyzing five prospects that each team should consider in the 2013 NFL Draft..."

kearly

Reaction score
To everyone else, read the article. It's a good read. That said, the five players are:

DE Sam Montgomery
LB Sio Moore
SS Shawn Williams
WR Josh Boyce
DT Kwame Geathers

Montgomery? No. Moore? Maybe. I don't think Seattle will draft a LB early given that the WILL spot will barely see the field next year, but Moore is a good player and his speed is fringe-fast. Williams has the tools to be a Seahawks pick, but his tape is not very good, I'd hope they pass on him. Josh Boyce is a nice call in the mid-to-late rounds. He ran a 4.38 official at the combine on a broken foot. He's 5'11" 206, so he's got some bulk too. Geathers makes sense since Seattle needs a run stopper, but I'm not a fan of his. He's a no-show on tape.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The Montgomery suggestion is stunning. We're loaded with DE's now and Montgomery is a guy who admitted he took whole games off and appeared on a list of players who don't try hard enough in practise, made public to NFL scouts. If anything, he is the exact opposite of what Pete Carroll wants on this roster. Really don't get that at all.

cdallan

Reaction score
And yet, has Rang not been THE most clued-in draft guru the last few years? Didn't he forecast 28 first round picks correctly or something a couple of years ago? This FO jas surprised all of us at every turn -maybe we need to look at these guys again to see if there is anything PC/JS would potentially like?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Thing about Montgomery is that his has amazing potential, if he got motivated (which happens at Carrol's practices) then he could be really good. He was a projected top 10 pick mid way through the college season, funny how he has fallen so far. With that said I don't think we will draft a DE unless we plan to cut Clemons.

I could see Moore, Boyce, and Geathers as good fits. If the draft played out this way, i'd have preferred we drafted the best WR or TE available in the 2nd over Montgomery, picture Escobar, McDonald, Kelce, or Reed as a hawk. Montogomery still seems like a steal if he falls that far and pass rush can't be overlooked.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't see anything amazing when I watch Montgomery. If anything I think he was a media hype job that was exposed early in the draft process.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
cdallan":11ee8xpk said:
And yet, has Rang not been THE most clued-in draft guru the last few years? Didn't he forecast 28 first round picks correctly or something a couple of years ago? This FO jas surprised all of us at every turn -maybe we need to look at these guys again to see if there is anything PC/JS would potentially like?

Rang mastered the ability to read Tim Ruskell. His picks recently have been a little off. For example, he had Seattle taking Jimmy Clausen at #6 in 2010. Last year it was De Castro nearly every week. Like most he's having trouble reading PC and JS.

Maybe he knows something here, but personally I'd be willing to wager Montgomery isn't even on Seattle's board.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
If Pete wants competitors, then he doesn't have Montgomery on his board.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
kearly":2195jv4q said:
To everyone else, read the article. It's a good read. That said, the five players are:

DE Sam Montgomery
LB Sio Moore
SS Shawn Williams
WR Josh Boyce
DT Kwame Geathers

Montgomery? No. Moore? Maybe. I don't think Seattle will draft a LB early given that the WILL spot will barely see the field next year, but Moore is a good player and his speed is fringe-fast. Williams has the tools to be a Seahawks pick, but his tape is not very good, I'd hope they pass on him. Josh Boyce is a nice call in the mid-to-late rounds. He ran a 4.38 official at the combine on a broken foot. He's 5'11" 206, so he's got some bulk too. Geathers makes sense since Seattle needs a run stopper, but I'm not a fan of his. He's a no-show on tape.

Kip, Say what? We need a OLB not a WIL correct? what am I missing? Even without Hill's trouble with the law he has slowed to the point of being a liability. Seems like this would be more of an emphasis.

cover-2

Reaction score
I would be highly disappointed if we took Montgomery in the 2nd round, he does not really fit athletically in what the Seahawks want at the LEO. I like Moore and Boyce, although Boyce playing speed does not look 4.38 fast. Geathers is intriguing but I would not take him until the 6th round.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Montgomery is probably my number 1 player to avoid. Does he actually do anything particularly well? He seems like just a guy with a totally unwarranted reputation

kigenzun

Reaction score
Rob Rang is an %@$%#.
Let's just call this what it is...
East Coast no stank you.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kigenzun":2bueabmi said:
Rob Rang is an %@$%#.
Let's just call this what it is...
East Coast no stank you.

This doesn't make any sense to me. I mean literally I have no clue what you are even trying to say here. Can anyone translate this?

kigenzun

Reaction score
My bad.
What I meant to say was: I completely disagree with his 'insight' into the Hawks needs, and his prognosis of our upcoming picks. If we select any of these players I will be shocked. My evidence is the lead of the article that describes that this is "#23 in a long series of articles...". He obviously hasn't studied us at any length, and appears to have no feel for PC/JS's draft system.

All I am saying is that his analysis of our team is poor.
But don't get me wrong, he's not all bad...
he & I both have Kwame Geathers at approx 242-243 in our final mocks :eek:

Atradees

Reaction score
If you read the Rang analysis he concludes that Montgomery will compare to low Jack. Who would want that?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
kigenzun":mklhzxrx said:
My bad.
What I meant to say was: I completely disagree with his 'insight' into the Hawks needs, and his prognosis of our upcoming picks. If we select any of these players I will be shocked. My evidence is the lead of the article that describes that this is "#23 in a long series of articles...". He obviously hasn't studied us at any length, and appears to have no feel for PC/JS's draft system.

All I am saying is that his analysis of our team is poor.
But don't get me wrong, he's not all bad...
he & I both have Kwame Geathers at approx 242-243 in our final mocks :eek:
Hahahahahaha that's hilarious! If there is one guy in the media that knows the Hawks it's Rang. He's not "east coast" he's actually from the area and is a big Hawks fan.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah, this guy is local.

Although I think you are kigenzun is correct. Rang has had difficulty getting a good pulse on the guys we like. I can't knock him for that, because they trip me up all the time.

Montgomery. Someone is going to take that guy. I hope to heaven it isn't us.

kigenzun

Reaction score
No disrespect intended, it was late and I was in near total disagreement/disbelief.
I guess I 'assumed' he must be back east with a mock that looks like that.
Once again, my humblest to the writer himself... but please please please not mOntgomery.

sutz

Reaction score
Rang's roots are local. Since he's gone national in the media, I think he's been less accurate with his analysis of the Hawks. That move pretty much coincided with the change to Carroll, though, so both probably contribute to some questionable predictions.

We all remember (I think) how he nailed the Tatupu pick. That one alone probably sealed his rep among Seattle fans beyond what it should actually be. Now, I think of him as just another talking head for the most part.

Latest posts