Who's a 1st round guy, you think will BUST

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Who's a 1st round guy, you think will BUST
Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:07 am
  • My number one guy is Cordarrelle Patterson.

I see better than Troy Williamson and a bit worse than Nate Bureleson. He will make plays in the open field on occasion, but isn't able to get off jams and has poor route running. I don't think his hands are special either. I hope an NFC west team takes him. If he's the first WR off the board in a strong class and comes away with average stats, I think that would constitute as a bust.

Another guy I really, really don't like is Kenny Vaccaro as a FS. He may make a better SS, but I don't think that's what he would be drafted to become. I've watched tons of tape on him, and he lost in slot coverage and don't have nearly the instincts of Thomas.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• Gino Smith
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• Nassib and Dion Jordan.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Dion Jordan.

Let's see if this sounds familiar:

"Athletically gifted. Elite size and speed. Sack/QB pressure statistics lacking. Was asked to cover more in college than rush the passer..."
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I'd pick a receiver, but receiver busts are just too easy to predict. See: Heyward-Bey.

Ezekiel Ansah. More and more, I just see linear athlete with him.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• MY I dislike more than you list. (1st round only)

1. DJ Fluker.... slow feet, the dominance of that o-line as a whole, hides alot of his weakeness.
    2. Ziggy Ansah.... dissapeared in big games, only played 1.5 years of his 3 years at BYU. Don't possess great body control.
    3. Jarvis Jones.... that spinal condition scares me..... a lot.
    4. Tank Carradine.... good prospect, but is getting the numbers boost (ie Dontari Poe) will go much higher than he should.

My I like more that most list. (potential 1st round only)
    1. Tavon Austin... he has the potential to be Percy Harvin special.
    2. Lane Johnson... most atheletic T in the class
    3. Alec Ogleetree... reminds me alot of Kam in a slightly bigger package.
    4. Robert Woods... crisp route runner, great hands.
    sainthawk29
    NET Starter

• Alec Ogletree - He should be drafted to play outside, but if he's drafted to play MLB he'll struggle. Can't shed block to save his life.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Recon_Hawk wrote:Alec Ogletree - He should be drafted to play outside, but if he's drafted to play MLB he'll struggle. Can't shed block to save his life.

I agree, I do not consider Ogletree a MLB.
    sainthawk29
    NET Starter

• If I had to pick one, I'd go with Ryan Nassib. I've not been first-round-flabergarsted impressed based on the tape I've seen. I think Geno and Barkley are much better QBs that are more pro-ready than Nassib. He will struggle if forced to start his rookie year. Same with EJ Manuel if he's drafted and forced to start (I think he would be a great backup though and the Eagles should take him to sit a year behind Vick in the second).
    aawolf
    NET Starter

• Sharrif Floyd, if drafted by the Raiders. Cordarelle Patterson will bust if not used correctly, imo.

Also, Dee Milliner.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:Ezekiel Ansah. More and more, I just see linear athlete with him.

I agree.
    cover-2
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:I'd pick a receiver, but receiver busts are just too easy to predict. See: Heyward-Bey.

Ezekiel Ansah. More and more, I just see linear athlete with him.

I'll agree with Ansah and add Jordan. I think Star as well.

Heyward Bey? I'd hardly call him a bust. He shouldn't have gone in the first. Only Al Davus would make that pick. Lets see what he does with a real QB.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Mingo, Nassib, Geno Smith (if he goes R1)
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Busts would be any QB selected.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• T-Sizzle wrote:Busts would be any QB selected.

I think it all depends on where any of them end up. Jacksonville dunso. Cleveland their odds of success are much better.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Many good choices. I think there are more landmines than good picks in the top 15. The "safest" pick to bust is Ansah, but since he's already been named I'll go with Barkevious Mingo.

I loved Bruce Irvin in the 2012 draft, but there isn't much that separates Irvin from "bust" status right now. He's walking a very tight line between stardom and struggles. Had he gone to a coaching staff that tried to make him into something he's not, he'd be screwed. Mingo is a more extreme case than Irvin and is less gifted athletically with less college production. He might do well as a 3-4 OLB, but as a 4-3 DE, he's likely going to suck.

Maelstrom787 wrote:Also, Dee Milliner.

Dee Milliner is actually my #1 best player that's not an O-lineman. I think he's the most under-rated player in the top 15. Extremely similar to Joe Haden but better. Haden was considered a very safe pick that continued to be a star in the NFL.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• kearly wrote:I loved Bruce Irvin in the 2012 draft, but there isn't much that separates Irvin from "bust" status right now. He's walking a very tight line between stardom and struggles. Had he gone to a coaching staff that tried to make him into something he's not, he'd be screwed. Mingo is a more extreme case than Irvin and is less gifted athletically with less college production. He might do well as a 3-4 OLB, but as a 4-3 DE, he's likely going to suck.

Funny, because in looking at Mingo, I rewatched a lot of Irvin tape. Irvin just seems so light years ahead of Mingo in side by side comparison that it's not funny.

In fact, I'm really kind of dumbfounded as to how generally pedestrian his speed has looked at this level. It's like he looks nothing like what he did in college. Obviously the competition is quicker too. But on most occasions, you'd never know they Irvin is the speed rusher by looking at his performances in Seattle.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I guess I'll go with the idea that Irvin hasn't yet shown his potential yet in the pros. Because right now, I'm not satisfied with how he's performed. I expected more from him.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Luke Joeckel

I don't think he's going to be a Robert Gallery type bust, but he'll be disappointing for a #1 overall pick, which will be compounded when Geno Smith becomes a great quarterback (while the Chiefs are stuck with Alex Smith). It'll be Jake Long ahead of Matt Ryan all over again, although to be fair, I had Matt Ryan pegged as a huge bust at the time.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Travon Austin, Lance Johnson, Coredelle Patterson , Nassib, Geno Smith
    vanillasuede
    NET Bench Warmer

• Geno Smith and Margus Hunt.
    SDHawk
    NET Veteran

• Tavon Austin for me.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• vanillasuede wrote:Travon Austin, Lance Johnson, Coredelle Patterson

Good choices. I'd also add Chase Warmack, Aaron Fisher, Mark Barkley, and Moon Lotulelei.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:Barkley.

You think he goes R1 though?

I mocked him going R1 with a trade back into the 1st by Jacksonville. I don't see him going R1 barring something along those lines happening.

Another bust for me = Tyler Eifert.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Eric Fisher
    seacat1
    NET Rookie

• Somebody not yet named that inspires a deep, communal need for everyone on this board to unite and accuse me of asshattery (I didn't see this option in the poll).
    Hawk Finn
    NET Veteran

• Mingo

Just a hunch I have
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

• Hawk Finn wrote:Somebody not yet named that inspires a deep, communal need for everyone on this board to unite and accuse me of asshattery (I didn't see this option in the poll).

I believe you're describing Swope.

I agree with those that said Ogletree.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Matt Barkley
    seahawks875
    NET Rookie

• Coming soon to a theatre near you...

Round 1 - Pick 8: "The Buffalo Bills select Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse." ROFLMAO.
    Let's see:
    Marrone gets his guy...
    and then,
    A) This will really get the fans in Toronto excited about the Bills.
    B) The Seahawks will be much more intimidated, (than when dropping 50 facing Ryan Fitzpatrick recently), the next time they host Buffalo...
    C) Marrone finds out quickly that defeating Belichek & the New England Patriots twice a year, is a little tougher than beating Louisville & Stony Brook.

and then to one upsmanship THAT:
    Round 1 - Pick 9: "The New York Jets select Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee." Jets fans go: BOOOOOO!!! (HOO HOO HOO)
    Rex Ryan sez:
    A) Suh-weet! Now I have a top ten pick who can't throw the ball AND a top ten pick who can't catch the ball.
    B) Yes!!! This is the just the man we needed to catch the accuracy of Tim Tebow's new & improved throwing motion...
    C) Suh-weet Gee-zus why me???
    :177692:

BOTH will bust hard. Grown men will cry... Children will give up religeon...
    Welcome to the front runners in the clowning for Jadeveon Clowney sweepstakes.
    kigenzun
    NET Starter

• Manti Te'o.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• Geno Smith
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

• Do you remember that kid racing his camel toward Lawrence of Arabia when he's coming out
    of the desert with the rescued man. His camel blows on by Lawrence and takes about two
    acres to turn around and come back.

That's Margus Hunt going by the Quarterback.
    two dog
    NET Veteran

• That's funny. :lol:
    I do remember that.

I agree with you about Hunt. I'd love to see the 49ers take him, and watch him bust.
    kigenzun
    NET Starter

• Whomever the Jets pick
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:55 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information