Final Mock

QuahHawk

Reaction score
2. DT Jesse Williams- Remedy to our lack of push up the middle, he will not rack up sacks but JW is a big, strong, mean SOB who will bring an attitude to our DL. He will be a big help pushing back SF's dominate OL and allow our DE's some freedom as he takes on two blockers.

3. OT David Bakhtiari-Under rated and overlooked he might have been a late 1st or early 2nd round pick in some other drafts. He would be a good fit for Cable and still has some room for growth so he can learn behind Giacomini and provided solid depth at both OT positions.

4. WR Josh Boyce- Deadly deep threat, could be very similar to Mike Williams but not as fast. He isn't the big WR I was wanting but he is an outside guy who brings more to the table size and speed wise than Tate does and he still has some untapped potential. Was one of our VMAC visits

5. LB Sean Porter- An undersized WLB who has decent speed and good intangibles. He woud put up a good fight with Malcom Smith for the starting WLB spot.

5. TE Levine Toilolo- One of the most Physically gifted TE's in the draft in terms of size and body. He will never be a uber athletic Jimmy Graham or Gonzo, but he could be an incredible Red Zone threat and would be a mismatch similar to what we though we have in Evan Moore.

6. DT Josh Boyd- A fairly productive (51tkls, 8 TFL, and 4.5scks his Sr yr) being overlooked in this class since he has proven he can make tackles and can get penetration without talent (Fletcher Cox) next to him.

7. CB Steve Williams- One of the fastest CB's in this draft, not our typical 6'2 type but his speed would be valuable on special teams, and he could learn from another 5'9 CB behind Winfield for a season.

7. RB Cierre Wood- Was thinking maybe we'd get a scatback type RB to replace Leon but we don't really need a PR/KR type RB, better to get a guy who could compete with Turbin for the #1RB spot in 2 or 3 years when Lynch starts to break down. Wood was a high profile RB out of Cali so I'm sure PC knows him and he has the ability to be a good one if given a push.

7. FB/TE Kyler Reed- Good bloodlines but hasn't been very productive. Has some athletic ability and could be moved or find a spot at TE or FB. Seems like a good project now that Konz is gone and we could stash on the PS without losing

7. LB Lerentee McCray- A big, reasonably athletic LB (compared to Leroy Hill by CBS) who is familiar with Dan Quinn. He has talent but hasn't played that much. Worth a pick as he could compete with Toomer for a roster spot or PS spot. Both players are pretty raw, McCray was a quality backup at a big program, Toomer a semi star at Idaho. Talent is probably similar so the competition would perfect.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Admittedly, I know nothing about the 3rd and 4th round picks (and a couple of the 7ths), but I love the positions you drafted and I'm a big fan of the rest of the guys you picked, especially Williams and Boyd (Boyd being a very good sleeper pick in the mid-to-late rounds.) Williams, imo, could be that one pick that makes more sense 1 or 2 years down the road instead of now. He's got the versatility and quickness at 325 lbs to play the 3-tech (ran a 4.9), but could also be the ideal replacement for either Red or Mebane down the road (and replace him with Boyd at the 3-tech).

May I ask, why do you think they don't need a scat-back? IIRC, Pete has shown in his USC days that he can make use of those quicker RBs alongside the bulldozer-types.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
We rarely used Washington and I felt like we only gave him carries just to keep him happy not because we actually thought is was going to work well or that we needed a change of pace. I think having Percy Harvin allows us the same capabilities from the RB position as a Leon did or a rookie rb like Kerwin Williams/kenjon Barner type would but Harvin keeps defenses honest since he can be deadly on swing passes and motion plays.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1awkhfen said:
We rarely used Washington and I felt like we only gave him carries just to keep him happy not because we actually thought is was going to work well or that we needed a change of pace. I think having Percy Harvin allows us the same capabilities from the RB position as a Leon did or a rookie rb like Kerwin Williams/kenjon Barner type would but Harvin keeps defenses honest since he can be deadly on swing passes and motion plays.
I'll be honest, I always felt we didn't give Leon carries because he wasn't that good of a running back. His return game was elite, but his running style never seemed to fit our offense.

Regarding Harvin playing the role of a scat-back in passing downs. Well, yes he can, but then you're taking him away from the receiver role. A speed scat-back who can threaten a defense with his speed while having Harvin on the field, too, would create some headaches for defensive coordinators that another all-around RB might not.

Even though I'm arguing for why I would like to see a speeder RB drafted, I could easily see Pete add a 3rd RB similar lynch or Turbin like you say, or even go with a big, bruising 230lb guy.

kearly

Reaction score
Are you going for a realistic mock draft or a "dream" draft here? I think it's a solid draft that feels decently realistic.

My favorite pick is probably David Bakhtiari, though honestly you could probably get him in the 5th round no problem. He's kind of an Alex Gibbs type more than a Tom Cable type, so I'd be a little surprised if he ends up a Seahawk even though I like his tape a lot.

I like Porter but he ran a much slower 40 than expected (mid 4.7s) and he'd almost certainly be a SAM type for Seattle. Since we already have Wright, Avril, Bradford, and Toomer as projected SAM types, I think Seattle will probably stay away from that kind of prospect. Porter was terrific as a 3-4 OLB the year before and I'm guessing he ends up with a 3-4 team.

Cierre Wood is a really nice pick late, my only nitpick is that I'm not sure he's the kind of physical/strong back Seattle probably wants. I'm a big fan of Cierre Wood, I'm just not sure he fits us.

Josh Boyce makes sense, but like Bakhtiari I think we could get him a couple rounds later than that.

I love Jesse Williams as a nose tackle, but he had zero pass rush ability in college. I think he's best served as a NT for a 3-4 team. He could make sense as a Red Bryant replacement in 2014 should Seattle release Bryant for cap space. I don't think I'd like that pick, even though I very much like Jesse Williams the player.

As always, thanks for explaining your rationale on every pick. Makes it worth reading.

penihawk

Reaction score
I saw Mayock say Bakhtiari could be a 2nd rd pick so I doubt we get him in the 5th but that would be awsome as he performed well against some good pass rushers in the PAC 12. I really have no fricken clue which way JS & PC are headed but I have a question for you guys. I'm not a Maqus Hunt guy but if he is sitting there, do they pull the trigger on a guy that is a physical freak that is the ultimate risk/reward guy? He seems to have the body to be versatile in Petes D and is as raw as raw can be. Heard him on sirius yesterday and it just got me thinking. Thoughts?

Your mock could be as close as any Wenhawk but where is Dustin Hopkins? I want a kicker who can boot it through the endzone when we kick off instead of the 10. Other than that your guesses are as good as mine.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd pass on Hunt, I think there will be plenty of others options and he isn't a guy who will ahve an immediate impact or even push for playing time as a DE this year. If they view him as a DT and he can add bulk, which he probably could mabye they'd take him as a DT and in taht case I can see the reasoning.

McGruff

Reaction score
Solid draft . . . love the first two picks. Not sure about Toilolo and Porter. Porter especially feels too safe, too predictable, too Ruskell-ian . . . and Boyd is too much like what we already have on the roster at the position.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd rather have Gerald Hodges than Poter but figured Hodges would be gone both are projected as 4th-5th round picks. If he is available I'd take him over Porter.

5th round and later picks i'm just expecting them to come in and compete with incumbants.

Porter/Hodges vs Malcom Smith for the WLB
or vs Toomer for backup LB
Toilolo vs Fells for the #3TE maybe even take McCoys #2TE spot allowign us to save some about $200K cap
Boyd vs Jay Howard

If they beat out the other then they get a roster spot, if not we have cut a 4th round pick before so I don't think PC and JS would hesitate

OT David Bakhtiari would make McQuistin expandable Saving about $3mil
CB Steve Williams might allowus to cut Thurmond would save about $250K
LBN Farwell make $1.5 so he'd be a nice cap savings

kigenzun

Reaction score
I like this one too... I dig your reasoning and depth of thought process.
Nice work Wenhawk.
:D