My Final Mock

McGruff

Reaction score
2(56): DT John Jenkins, Georgia - There have been no rumors linking Jenkins to Seattle, which makes him a perfect selection for our first pick. Other than Okung, Seattle's initial picks under Schneider and Carroll have been shockers and surprises with no previous links to the team. Why Jenkins? Because he fits the profile of being an extreme prospect. He's simply massive and strong with excellent size and long arms with above average agility (for a 340 lb man). He compliments the existent tackles on the team, is versatile enough to play three positions along the line, and is a high effort player with excellent intangibles.
3(87): OT David Quessenberry, San Jose St. - Another long athlete with good measurables, Quessenberry also stood out to me in Senior Bowl Practice tapes against top competition. Has the ability to play inside at guard, but with his length I see him as a swing tackle with the ability to push Giacomini as a rookie and supplant him next year. He needs to gain strength, but has the mean streak Cable likes and is technically sound.
4(123): CB Tyrann Mathieu, LSU - Just a hunch. We might have to take him earlier. He might be available later. Fact is, we brought him in for a visit, which means we're at least interested, and in terms of performance and ability, he's fits the bill. I remember Carroll passing on CB Jimmy Smith two years ago because he was concerned that his team didn't have the leadership to coral a player with issues . . . we have that now, and Mathieu is the ideal prospect to groom behind Winfield. He's tough as nails, hits hard, makes the big play, and can contribute on special teams in both coverage and as a returner. The question is the ethic, desire, and substance abuse issues. Big gamble on a player with big upside. I think its a risk we can afford to take.
5(138): SS Duke Williams, Nevada - Williams is listed as a SS, but can play both positions equally well. His sideline to sideline speed is exceptional and makes him an ideal backup to Earl. But despite being smaller for the position, he hits like a truck. He's got some minor off the field issues, and a tendency to be over aggressive attacking the LOS, but all the skills are there. Another guy who will make his mark on special teams as well.
5(158): OLB Trevardo Williams, UConn - Not sure I have the right guy here, but I'm pretty sure it the right position. If I were Tim Ruskell, I'd put Sean Porter here, who is a much safer prospect, but Williams athletic ability and pass rushing ability will be him intriguing. He's not a smooth coverage guy or sideline to sideline player like Malcolm Smith, nor is he a jack of all trades like teammate Sio Moore. He's a up field pass rusher similar to Bruce Irvin . . . but I think he's got the raw ability to learn the WSLB position and contribute early as a pass rusher and special teamer.
6(194): WR Aaron Mellete, Elon - Small guy prospect who absolutely dominated against lower competition, which is what you want to see. He's got the length, size and speed to ball at the next level. He's not a strong after the catch guy, though. Reminds me a lot of Sydney Rice . . . the kind of guy who can compete in traffic and win the jump ball and contested catch, but won't give much after getting the ball. Could be the next Kris Durham . . .
7(220): DT Stefan Charles, Regina - Seattle likes big raw tackles this year, having looked at both Montori Hughes and Brandon Williams. And Charles (or Kwame Geathers) may be redundant after drafting Jenkins, but I good see them doing the double dip at the DT position similar to what they did with Howard and Scruggs last year. Charles looks dominant in very raw youtube footage from Canada. Exceptional first step and dwarfs the competition.
7(231): TE Ryan Otten, San Jose St. - Otten isn't exceptionally fast for an undersized TE, but he's got exceptional length and excels at settling in a blocking out. Plays the position like a basketball player. As a blocker he needs to gain strength, but has good feel and willingness to get physical at the LOS. Might compare to much to Sean McGrath, so maybe Seattle goes toward Chris Gragg or WR/TE Mark Harrison here, but I like Otten.
7(241): QB BJ Daniels, South Florida - What can I say? He's a 5-11 athletic QB who is competitive and commanding. Much more raw than that other short athletic competitive commanding QB from last year whose name I can't remember, and quality of competition is a question mark, but he makes good sense for Seattle in the late 7th.
7(242): CB Jeremy Harris, New Mexico St - He's built like a twig, but he's a long twig with octopus arms and an excellent 40 time. Impossible to find game video, but he's got training videos . . . dude is so long limbed, he reminds me of an exceptionally skinny Brandon Browner.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
I mostly like it. Agree with the positional mix and no major issues with the round selected. I'd probably take a RB somewhere in the 5-7 round range. DT/OT or vice versa in 2nd and 3rd is what I'm betting on.

SDHawk

Reaction score
I like this mock alot because it is very similar to how I think it will play out.

Mine looks like:

56-WR Ryan Swope/Quinton Patton
87-OL David Quessenberry
123-FB Kyle Juszczyk
138-DE Mike Catapano
158-DT Stefan Charles
194-S/CB Duke Williams
220-OLB/S Cooper Taylor
231-WR Brice Butler
241-QB BJ Daniels
242-OLB Craig Wilkins

I could definitely think your mock is realistic. Couple comments:

4(123): CB Tyrann Mathieu, LSU - Mockperts love to give this pick lots of grief but I think his VMAC workout is clear evidence that the Seahawks are considering him if the value is right. In the middle rounds, I think the value is compelling enough to pull the trigger though I am with Wenhawk and think Jusczyzk is our pick if he is there.

5(158): OLB Trevardo Williams, UConn - This is an intriguing pick because he puts alot of pressure on the QB with his pass rushing and we know the Hawks can't have enough pass rushers. If he is there at 158, it wouldnt be a wasted pick though we might get better value later with Jayson DiManche who has similar measurables. FWIW, I think we go for a scheme versatile freak like Cooper Taylor a round or two later. If not, we can pick up whats left of DiManche/Craig Wilkins/Michael Clay

6(194): WR Aaron Mellete, Elon - I haven't seen much of him and to be fair I haven't seen much of Brice Butler either but I think Brice has the leg up based on his history with Pete Carroll. Brice was buried on the bench behind the very talented duo of Robert Woods and Marqise Lee but is a very capable and reliable receiver in his own right. His pro day numbers would have put him in the top 5 at the combine.

A final note, maybe we can bring in an RB as an UDFA like Latavius Murray or Jeremy Wright, but I hope we draft a backup RB with one of our picks. Latavius Murray has some jaw-dropping measurables/athelticism, but based on the tape, he seems to go down on first contact. Jeremy Wright on the other-hand is a very physical runner in the vein of Lynch/Turbo. Do we go after a change of pace back or someone that can spell our physical runners?

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1bmopn9s said:
Nice, If i coudl replace Mathieu with Jezkyrzk the FB I'd be hapy with that

Juszcyk has become the flavor of the month around here. 2 weeks ago he wasn't on the radar in the slightest, then a few of the unquestioned gurus get on his jock and people are ready to take him in the 2nd round.

I like him as a player, but I don't see our team valuing the position enough to spend even a mid-round pick on him. We'll be running a ton of single back sets with two TE's or 4 wide, and there's just no reason to tie up a roster spot with a backup FB.

SDHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":3nfg9rde said:
Wenhawk":3nfg9rde said:
Nice, If i coudl replace Mathieu with Jezkyrzk the FB I'd be hapy with that

Juszcyk has become the flavor of the month around here. 2 weeks ago he wasn't on the radar in the slightest, then a few of the unquestioned gurus get on his jock and people are ready to take him in the 2nd round.

I like him as a player, but I don't see our team valuing the position enough to spend even a mid-round pick on him. We'll be running a ton of single back sets with two TE's or 4 wide, and there's just no reason to tie up a roster spot with a backup FB.

If you don't like feedback why even put it out there?

As for Jusczyzk being the flavor of the month, I mean, that's how it works right? If someone introduces a youtube video of an overlooked player and it clearly comes through on tape, why live in denial? Give the "gurus" their due... they're the ones doing the homework so you don't have to. Jusczyzk can ball and there IS a logical argument to drafting him. That being Mike Rob is entering his year 30 season and will be a UFA in 2014. Jusczyzk is an underrated athlete with very good hands, crisp routes and some serious YAC ability. Watch the latest Real Mike Rob Report and tell me what you think of Mike Rob's advice to Turbo... He says the golden rule is never turn down the money.

edit: Btw, who is the guru that suggested Jusczyzk? I am having trouble finding it. I think he is being discussed because he was invited to VMAC. Ryan Otten and Michael Williams are the others but those two dont get nearly as much love on these boards. Its not a herd thing, to me it looks like Jusczyzk is garnering a following for legitimate reasons.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
I do want feedback. Feedback leads to counter-feedback . . . which is what I thought I was doing. He said "draft juszcyk" . . . I said I doubt they would.

Sounds like discussion to me?

As far as the gurus go . . . it just makes me laugh how much a name gets thrown out there, and everyone jumps on it, and suddenly that player is the next big thing.

But that's niether here, nor there, and I'm sorry I brought it up. Bottom line is I don't see them drafting a FB until the 6th round or later, if at all.

kearly

Reaction score
I get the feeling Stefan Charles will be gone before our 5th round pick rolls around. Too much physical promise to slide terribly far. Even if he is a damn dirty Canadian.

Other than Honey Badger, I like the way the draft started. John Jenkins would be maybe my 20th preferred pick at #56, but I think he gives us a quality replacement for Red Bryant down the road. Quessenberry and Williams are solid picks.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Not claiming I started the hype of Juszczyk but i did start this topic viewtopic.php?f=18&t=67516
11 days ago and I felt it would be a good move after i read this article http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/ ... cunningham

Basically I have had an obsession with us improving over McCoy, but I hand't really considered how a FB/TE hybrid similar to what Delanie Walker brough to SF would impact us. I think this would be a great year to double up on a FB so they can learn from M-Rob and a guy who can play some TE in the mean time would only add more options to our offense.

Don't get me wrong I have been in favor of Mathieu, go back and look I have argured for him many of times but I think with WInfield it would be a waste to get a backup nickle back before the 5th round. I'd be hapy with Mathieu knowingwe could cut him if he didn't work out but I'd rathe enusre RW3 had the weapons he needs to succed

kigenzun

Reaction score
Good job.
I kinda like this one.
& I'll admit I am a Mathieu fan, but the signing of Antione Winfield spelled his doom in my mind.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
kigenzun":83is5bdw said:
Good job.
I kinda like this one.
& I'll admit I am a Mathieu fan, but the signing of Antione Winfield spelled his doom in my mind.

Yeah i felt the same, but if anyone would be a great mentor for Mathieu it would be winfield. Almost identical in size and playing style. but 2 nickle CBs on the roster leaves us thin.