With 10 picks.. do we trade up today?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Looking at this board.. there's a lot of talent out there.. and going off of the trades yesterday, aside from the Patriots completely sodomizing the Vikings for their 1st rounder (how the eff do they do this every year?!) .. the cost seems to be cheap. Hell the Niners moved up with a mere 3 despite having about 75 picks in the draft.

There are a few players I would LOVE to get today.. namely:
- Arthur Brown
- Zach Ertz
- Keenan Allen (Boldin 2.0 .. I'm telling you guys)
- Melenik Watson (Hard time seeing him fall to 56)

I just think if the FO has pegged any of these 4 guys as guys they have highly rated, they should absolutely try to move up. Thoughts?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I think Seattle is more likely to trade down and try to pick up another 4th rounder. I'd say they want another 3rd rounder, but it seems like draft picks are really cheap this year. I still can't believe the Bills didn't take both the Rams first round picks.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I think they could trade down and try to recoup the 3rd rounder next year that they lost in the Harvin trade.

But I will say that there are a lot of good players left and I could see them trading up if they have to get a certain guy

NYCoug

Reaction score
I'm thinking the same thing as you Hass. Love the Keenan Allen/Boldin comparison. I think it's spot on, right down to the poor 40 time's. When you watch the tape though, I just love Keenan Allen's game. What a violent, competitive, physical receiver. He brings the pain to the opposition, which I love out of a WR and which Anquan has always done as well. For some reason though, I think Quinton Patton is their dude at WR this year. We'll see. I'd love Allen personally.

Arthur Brown Jr, we all know the Pete Carroll love affair that he had for ABJ back in the day, we'll see if he yet again gets his man. The WILL won't see the field as much this season, probably, but it'd still be nice to have a nice prospect there and one who can chip in and contribute immediately with the few hundred snaps or so the WILL will see this season. Again, I'd be happy with landing Brown.

Ertz is a stud but I wouldn't want to trade up for him. There's a bunch of really good tight ends this season and at least one of them is bound to be available for us in the 3rd round in all probability. If they want a TE they probably don't have to trade up for one, unless they are absolutely in love with Ertz.

Watson seems like a Hawks pick. He's from England, played hoops, is raw, has a ton of upside. Just seems like a Hawks kind of pick. I'd be absolutely ecstatic landing him but he's one guy we'd probably have to trade up for. For some reason, I'd be just as happy staying at 56 and drafting Armstead instead.

You're right though, it does seem like a good year to trade up and something tells me that if he their dude is on the board after a few picks tonight, they might just make the move up and get their guy. If you put a gun to my head though? I'd say there's a better chance of them trading down instead.

Rat

Reaction score
I'm definitely tempted. There's a lot of great talent left and like you said, teams have been killing it on trade-ups so far.

I don't see much point in trading down unless it's an amazing offer. We have ten picks already, and it feels like we have maybe half that many spots on the roster that a rookie could realistically take right now. It feels like if we had more picks, that'd just be more guys we have to hope don't get claimed off waivers when we try to sneak them onto the practice squad.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Rat":28kc5w8x said:
I'm definitely tempted. There's a lot of great talent left and like you said, teams have been killing it on trade-ups so far.

I don't see much point in trading down unless it's an amazing offer. We have ten picks already, and it feels like we have maybe half that many spots on the roster that a rookie could realistically take right now. It feels like if we had more picks, that'd just be more guys we have to hope don't get claimed off waivers when we try to sneak them onto the practice squad.

My thoughts exactly.. we're in a similar position to SF.. very few needs with enough ammo to go get our guy.

Especially since there is a lot of talent to be had right now.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I posted in the other draft thread that we should trade up with Oakland as they are in need of draft picks. They have the 42nd pick and we need Kawaan Short. But he might not last to the 42nd pick.

I don't see John as motivated to trade back this year unless it's like Sarlacc83 said and it's to get a 2014 pick. We aren't in need of extra picks this year, but having said that, this is a talent laden draft.

I think our need for a 3-Tech far outweighs getting extra draft picks this year for players that might not even make the roster. Unless of course they want to go after a QB or Kicker early.

Damnit! I always sabotoge my own argument... :p

NYCoug

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been thinking that we might trade back to pick up some more picks for next year. We'll be without a 3rd because of the Harvin deal, we'll have the Flynn pick, but we likely won't be getting many compensatory picks either since we haven't really lost anybody in FA outside of Branch.

I'm down with trading down. There's enough talent on the board to still get a ton of talent in the middle rounds while stocking up on some more draft picks for next year as well.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I am thinking our 5th and a 7th for move to the upper quarter of the 5th.

Rat

Reaction score
NYCoug":2rk9ka0i said:
Yeah, I've been thinking that we might trade back to pick up some more picks for next year. We'll be without a 3rd because of the Harvin deal, we'll have the Flynn pick, but we likely won't be getting many compensatory picks either since we haven't really lost anybody in FA outside of Branch.

I'm down with trading down. There's enough talent on the board to still get a ton of talent in the middle rounds while stocking up on some more draft picks for next year as well.
We have barely any free agents next year. I don't think we have a big need for 2014 draft picks.

NYCoug

Reaction score
With JS and PC, there's always a big need for draft picks. Plus, you never know what might happen with Sir Sidney and Zach Miller and their contract situations. I get what you mean though, we aren't exactly strapped for draft picks.

Rat

Reaction score
Having a lot of draft picks is great, if you have something to use them on. The Patriots are applauded every year for having a million picks, but all they do is just trade them for more picks that they never use. What are they really getting from that?

sutz

Reaction score
Rat":3ihnbzxj said:
Having a lot of draft picks is great, if you have something to use them on. The Patriots are applauded every year for having a million picks, but all they do is just trade them for more picks that they never use. What are they really getting from that?
Options. Flexibility. Choices. However you say it, having extra picks is always a good thing.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
NYCoug":1laejloq said:
With JS and PC, there's always a big need for draft picks. Plus, you never know what might happen with Sir Sidney and Zach Miller and their contract situations. I get what you mean though, we aren't exactly strapped for draft picks.

Yes and no... especially since we could be drafting their replacements this draft.

And by trading up, you secure a really good WR to do that (cough, Keenan Allen, cough cough) .. ;)

I think this is the year we will be aggressive. We've been aggressive in free agency from Day 1.. why stop now?

TheWebHead

Reaction score
I'd say no, and add that the trade value of the four 7th round picks (2 of which cannot be traded - compensatory) is negligible. If they trade up, they'll use a 7th to move up in the 5th or 6th, nothing sexy in early rounds

kearly

Reaction score
If Tyler Eifert or Datone Jones were still out there, I'd say yes. But they aren't, so there isn't any clear prospect that stands out so waiting, or even trading DOWN, makes the most sense. The only player I'd move up for is Christine Michael, and we might only have to move up 1-2 spots to get him.