Any 2014 players that you covet for Seattle?

kearly

Reaction score
Obviously, try to be realistic. Assume that Seattle picks in the 20s or 30s.

For me, I'd say:

Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State

[youtube]CZurygE1QsE[/youtube]

Any pass rusher that comes from the Pac-12 should have an asterisk on his scouting report. That said, I really like Sutton's quickness, athleticism and determination. Sutton's eyeball test reminds me just a little of Darnell Dockett, especially when Sutton is delivering dirty hits.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington

[youtube]lPZ5ZDWEADo[/youtube]

If the 2014 draft were today, Seattle would have no chance of getting ASJ. But after a DUI, an "indefinite" suspension from the team, and the possibility of a down season in 2014, it's at least conceivable that he could suffer a draft stock backlash just strong enough to make him a possibility. I think Lyerla is far more likely of the two to actually end up here, but I think ASJ fits our possession offense better and is a superior tight end prospect overall.

I really like JSeahawks comparison to Tony Gonzalez. ASJ has the basketball side to him too, being a significant contributor to UW's basketball team. I'm not saying he'll have that good a career, but if you compare prospect ASJ to prospect Gonzalez it's pretty close. You heard how Wilson gushed and gushed about Gonzalez after the playoff game, all the way up to the pro-bowl. He would NOT shut up about his man-crush on Gonzalez. I think a player like Gonzalez long term would make our QB very happy.

Jordan Lynch, QB, Northern Illinois

[youtube]r2Im9ay9Ywg[/youtube]

Lynch is a great quarterback that will be overlooked because of his height (6'1"). He dissects defenses with his eyes and his arm, and of course he's a great athlete. But what I really like about him are his intangibles and toughness. He's the closest thing I've seen to Russell Wilson since 2012 (exempting Johnny Manziel, who will go too early for Seattle to consider). John Schneider apparently hates drafting quarterbacks. He needs to make an exception for Lynch next season.

CJ Mosely, LB, Alabama

[youtube]H_x6XzULT_I[/youtube]

Please CJ. Please run a forty time in the 4.4s or 4.5s. Please.

Others:

I know a lot of people, including myself, want to see Russell Wilson throwing passes to Jared Abbrederis once again. He'd probably be Charly Martin 2.0, but I don't care, it would be neat.

One name that might pick up some steam depending on his 2013 season: Josh Shirley (LEO, Washington). Based on what I'm reading he could be UW's next Desmond Trufant type surprise draft riser. Shirley is one of those players the last couple seasons that maybe doesn't put up huge numbers but is explosive as a pass rusher and kept catching my eye over and over again.

I'm not the biggest Husky fan these days. Shirley has been one of those players that kept getting me to ask "holy shit who is this guy?" First time I noticed him was when he sacked RG3 three times in the Alamo bowl. He reminds me a lot of Corey Lemonier, but he needs to add weight badly (just 230 pounds at 6'3"). Hearing that apparently scouts are noticing him too is pretty cool. If he can't add weight he might be a fast linebacker in a draft where Seattle might be more receptive to investing in one.

That plus I needed to mention a second Husky as I'm certain JSeahawks will list at least two Ducks (Lyerla, Thomas).

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Oh man, I forgot about Coleman. He's one of those prospects that you aren't sure about at first, but then you put on the tape and really dive in and find out just how amazing his game is. Then you see the numbers he had. The yards per catch was astronomical.

I think he'll be a top ten pick, but if he slips by some miracle, yeah, definitely.

NYCoug

Reaction score
The guy I covet for 2014 is Ohio QB Tyler Tettleton...

[youtube]T3uH2e6iQiY[/youtube]

Reasons being his father, Mickey Tettleton, was my favorite baseball player and probably athlete when I was growing up as a kid. I've always been a huge baseball fan, and his father had the most badass batting stance and biggest wad of tobacco in his mouth of all-time. Plus, he was one of those gritty catchers from the 80's and 90's but what made him special is that he had legit homerun power. And what a name!

So when I saw two years ago that Ohio (I looooove the MAC, easily my favorite conference after the PAC), had a QB named Tettleton, I flipped! Then, I saw him play and I LOVED his game and he sort of reminded me of a weaker armed Russell Wilson. Basically the same size at 5'10/200, both former legit baseball prospects, both are mobile, and Tettleton has a nice feel for the game, although he's obviously not near Russell's level there. Asides from that, he's accurate (career 62.5% completion percentage), is a great leader and hard worker, and efficient (Career 46 TD/16 INT as well as 15 rushing TDs).

I honestly hope that somehow, someway Tyler Tettleton ends up being Russell's backup for a LONG time.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Apart from those listed:

FS: Ed Reynolds (assumes he declares)

DT: Deandre Coleman

OLB/DE: Trent Murphy

SDHawk

Reaction score
Louis Nix, DT
Quandre Diggs, FS/CB
CJ Mosley, OLB
Andrew Jackson, ILB
Josh Shirley, OLB/LEO
Ron Powell, LEO
Dion Bailey, SS/CB
Antonio Richardson, RT
Seantrel Henderson, RT/RG
Jared Abbrederis, WR

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I was going to come in here and be all original and go with Will Sutton, then it was the first name you mentioned. He was a guy I was really hoping was coming out this year so we could snag him. Love that dude's game.

If we want a linebacker i'd love Boseko Lokombo from Oregon in the 3rd or 4th round. I think he'll blow up this year being out of the shadow of Clay, Jordan and Alonso.

Not necessarily for the Seahawks but another guy I like in the draft next year and am really curious to see where he ends up is David Fales, the QB from San Jose State.

And of course Lyerla, but we've been over that.

[youtube]4rB3E-8KsOk[/youtube]

Scottemojo

Reaction score
CJ MOsely, since I thought he would come out this year and go top 30.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Tyler Tettleton.... How American is that name? Might as well have 'Yeeeeehaaaaa!' as a middle name.

Starrman44

Reaction score
Personally, I hope we come away with one of the two West Cost Tight ends (ASJ or Lyerla). I would be shocked if Brandon Coleman was available that late.

I also hope we draft a decent back up QB prospect. It seems like a great way to get future draft stock when you can develop QB's and trade them. Also, our current back-ups kind of scare me.

If C. J. Mosely runs 4.4 or 4.5 would he even be available for us? I would love for us to get a permanent fix at the LB position.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Starrman44":9pu8pqr7 said:
If C. J. Mosely runs 4.4 or 4.5 would he even be available for us? I would love for us to get a permanent fix at the LB position.

Probably. The list of 4-3 LBs that have gone 1st round in recent years is a short one. If there was a good thing about the Aaron Curry pick: it scared 4-3 teams away from the position early.

cover-2

Reaction score
A lot of player I like have already been mentioned, with DT Will Sutton probably my favorite that could be available late in the 1st round.

BYU (LB) Kyle Van Noy is another obvious player, but he is currently mocked a mid-1st round so may not be available.

Florida State (OLB) Christian Jones is a intriguing player. Size wise he fits what the Seahawks want at LB, Jones is 6-3 232 lbs and has long arms. If he puts together a good season he should be a 1st round guy.

[youtube]42tPU2PerxU[/youtube]

Another very intriguing player again from Florida St, (WR) Kelvin Benjamin. He is 6-4 242 lbs and is a good athlete for his size. He is only a red-shirt sophomore, but you never know he could come out a little early.

[youtube]RY3IviZeT8I[/youtube]

HighlandHawk

Reaction score
One guy I'm looking for and again it's all about the pass rush..

Morgan Breslin, LEO at USC

[youtube]PpPzRmCdZ0I[/youtube]

NYCoug

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":280e85mn said:
Tyler Tettleton.... How American is that name? Might as well have 'Yeeeeehaaaaa!' as a middle name.

Here's his father, Mickey, showing off his impressive wad of tobacco for kids everywhere! You're not kidding about him being ultra-Americana, English. The fact that he's born in Oklahoma even adds more to the legend!

Mickey tettleton

polarbill1999

Reaction score
You mentioned Josh Shirley and as a Husky fan I don't see it. In fact, I hope he gets replaced as every down player and only comes in to games a situational pass rusher. He is smaller then 90% of WLB's in the NFL, he has shown zero ability to play LB(whether it is ability or just not giving the chance I don't know) and really only has one move and that is run straight up field. If the QB steps up at all he is 5 yards past the play. Cory Littleton came in and took a fair amount of his snaps last year as an undersized true freshman. That says a lot.

Basically I see Shirley as a slower, smaller, not as explosive Bruce Irvin. He needs to put on 20-30 pounds to play in the NFL even as a situational pass rusher.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think of Shirley myself. I would have guessed he'd go undrafted next year, but I'm seeing him in a lot of early day two conversations for 2014. That said, at 230 pounds good luck getting drafted as a pass rusher. He could get 10 sacks next year and still be another Chase Thomas.

I never really scouted him, I just remember him having moments that blew me away athleticism-wise as he exploded upfield, similar to Irvin, Mingo, and Lemonier. Usually you don't see any Husky defender having that kind of athletic ability, especially some guy that most Husky fans probably wouldn't recognize if they saw his picture.

That plus we just drafted a Christine, so now we have to be extra mindful of players with girl names. :sherlock:

Latest posts