New 2014 NFL Mock Draft

DFlo

Reaction score
Hi guys, for those of you interested, I've put together an early look at some of the top prospects of the 2014 NFL Draft. Ideally to just get an idea of who to look for in this upcoming College season. Let me know what you think

http://www.footballdraftnotebook.com/MockDraft2014.html

*The order was determined by the Vegas Superbowl odds as of last week

kearly

Reaction score
I like it. I'm completely with you on Boyd/Bridgewater being candidates to go ahead of Clowney, and I liked the rest of the mentions as well.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I'm with kearly, I really like it. Nice site too, definitely going to be checking it out from now on.

The only thing I disagree with is the Hawks not picking 32nd but that's not on you, it's on Vegas. Nice work man.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
De'Anthony Thomas and Stephon Tuitt are two players I got an eye on this next season. Didn't like many other skill players from Oregon that have been drafted recently, but Thomas seems legit to me, game breaking talent. Tuitt, I'm hoping for a big year in TFL and sacks but also, skills breaking down a good tackle. The ND/Michigan game, lined up against Lewan looks like a good matchup.

I didn't know guys came in this size - Daniel McCullers - NT - Tennessee - 6'8'' 360lbs, that's huge.
I'd be interested in seeing how well he carries that this season. Hadn't heard of him until this mock.

Top 15 picks appear to be loaded next draft at this stage.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah, considering the teams likely drafting early, I can't see these same teams who didn't get a QB in 2012 or 2013 passing on them for a third straight draft.

One could say that seven of those top 10 teams are already potential QB starved franchises. Many of those having drafted and likely failed to get a franchise QB from the 2010-11 classes.

Outside of Manuel -- I don't see Wilson or Smith for Oakland and NY necessarily ending the pursuit of a top caliber QBOTF prospect. 2014 looks like it could be another year where you see a lot of QBs go early and possibly far too early.

There are a lot of players on that list that would have made the first round this year.

OP
OP
D

DFlo

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I had a tough time with the Seahawks pick and kinda just plugged in Yankey there. What kind of needs do you guys have?

kearly

Reaction score
No true needs, but tight end and maybe defensive line (pass rusher or pass rush 3-tech) would be strong considerations. Tackle isn't out of the realm of possibility depending on how Giacomini does this year. WR could be a potential consideration depending on how the roster dominoes fall. Linebacker could be an option too if a very good one with elite speed is there.

As talented as Seattle's defensive line is, it still feels a bit patchwork to me. It needs more sure things that are long term and cheap.

GCrow

Reaction score
Guy i'm interested in watching next year is Aaron Lynch, DE from South Florida. Sat out last year after transferring from Notre Dame and has a little Jared Allen in him.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
DFlo":mvy7r80e said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I had a tough time with the Seahawks pick and kinda just plugged in Yankey there. What kind of needs do you guys have?

Well, it's worth noting that other than the Okung pick in 2010, we've either tried to trade back or have traded back every first round pick since. The pick for Earl Thomas was conditionally traded and we scuttled it when he fell. Carpenter pick we couldn't get appropriate value. But every other pick has been moved.

I expect that we could be looking for special talents. TE (ASJ/Lyerla) are decent candidates. WR is going to be stacked (Coleman seems a good option). He's kind of lost in the Watkins/Lee discussion. He'd be a good #1 WR option -- particularly considering how our passing game operates.

I would also see us trying to lock up another FS soon. What Earl does, is really fundamental to how this defense is constructed. If he goes down, the whole scheme collapses like a house of cards. Outside of QB, it's the one position that would spell disaster if injury befalls it. We don't need an Earl clone. But we do need a guy who can still run our cover 1. I'd watch Lamarcus Joyner closely from FSU.

Also, I would keep a VERY close eye on Antoine Winfield this year. I suspect Seattle might find it's cornerbacker position to be ahead of the NFL curve and we could be looking at trying to get a younger physical first/coverage second corner. We could see the genesis of a new position of need by ingenuity. There are several good options to choose from. Colvin and Ekpre-Olomu are good but likely too pricey. I really like Bene Bewikere (SJSU) and Ricardo Allen (Purdue) for this too and they're likely to be day 2/3 options. Both logged 70+ tackles and show good physicality, fearlessness and solid tackling. They also show a good ability to penetrate through moving linemen.

I would severely doubt we go OT/OL in round 1. If we were to consider that, I'd expect we'd drop back and get one. Unless some freak talent (i.e. something way better than DJ Fluker) drops to us by freak circumstance -- I just don't see that happening.

Our round 1 picks have generally had some kind of "Whoa" factor. McCullers would certainly tickle that seahawk sense. We haven't really looked at safe or well rounded prospects much it seems.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
DFlo":y8e0bjf9 said:

First off, when it comes to picking players that fit what Seattle is doing, I would suggest looking for elite athleticism first and then moving down the list to the "football players" and what not. Pete seems to like his athletes and their potential to be game changers.

Anyway, it's hard to project a year from now, but I would suggest the following position might be considered:

RT: Breno Giacomini is a free agent after this year and we are lacking depth there as of now. If Breno is un-signed heading into the draft, right tackle becomes our #1 need.

Defensive End/LEO: Chris Clemons is an aging player with a big contract and is coming off of an ACL injury. He may end up a cap/injury casualty. Besides, you can never have enough pass rushers. The kid at USC you have at #31, Morgan Breslin, is intriguing based on his stat line.

LG/RG: We have two position battles heading into camp with the chance that the positions will be filled by two high-potential players in James Carpenter (LG) and J.R. Sweezy (RG). There's also a chance it's manned by two average players in Pat McQuestian (LG) and John Moffitt (RG). Seahawk fans are mixed on drafting a guard next year, but I think it is a viable first round option.

WLB: Seattle is letting 2010 7th rd pick Malcolm Smith get his chance at the starting WLB spot plus they look to be using a unique defensive package which utilize the LEO/DE as a linebacker as well. It remains to be seen if it'll work, however. A fast, athletic outside linebacker who can play the run and rush the passer would be the prototypical OLB in this system.

TE: Our #2 backup as of now (Anthony McCoy) will be a free agent and can be upgraded with a better playmaker at the position. Hopefully our 5th rd pick this year (Luke Willson) is that guy, but it remains to be seen. I imagine only a truly elite tight end would make the list of draftable players in the first round.