Notre Dame's starting QB kicked out of school.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Some bad luck for the Golden Domers lately. Personally I love it. This after Eddie Vanderdoes announced that he is not going to honor his commitment to Notre Dame and is seeking release from his letter of intent in hopes of going to UCLA.

Rumor is that Goldston was caught cheating on some tests and expelled from school. Although Notre Dame cannot confirm that. Maybe he had his fake internet gf take his finals for him.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/05/25/evere ... otre-dame/

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
drdiags":2ltw1qz9 said:
What the heck is a Residence Life violation? Failing to live in the dorm or something?

I know BYU has some pretty strict honor code things that can get you in a lot of trouble if you don't follow them. I wonder if Notre Dame as a Catholic school has the same kind of thing? That's the only thing I can think of. (although it seems like the starting QB that just took you to the title game would be able to get away with discipline problems that the average student couldn't get away with).

sc85sis

Reaction score
I can't be the only (ignorant) person here who is wondering how an accounting exam can get plagiarized...

As to Res Life, my understanding is they oversee all aspects of student conduct. I believe ND uses some form of the honor code, so if he did indeed cheat or plagiarize in some way, it would lead to expulsion.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Just trying to wrap my head around the idea that you can fail 10 drug tests and stay in one school (LSU/Honey Badger) but get expelled for plagiarizing an accounting exam in another. Pretty bold move by ND. Would have to think this isn't that uncommon among student athletes and is generally swept under the rug.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2bn7g7k7 said:
Just trying to wrap my head around the idea that you can fail 10 drug tests and stay in one school (LSU/Honey Badger) but get expelled for plagiarizing an accounting exam in another. Pretty bold move by ND. Would have to think this isn't that uncommon among student athletes and is generally swept under the rug.

I think the big difference is that one is a football issue, and the other is an academic institution issue. My guess is that if he wasn't kicked out of the university he would not have been kicked off the team (maybe just a suspension for a game or two). College kids get high all across the country, it just isn't a very big deal on college campus's, I would guess that cheating on an exam is a much bigger deal.

CPHawk

Reaction score
No big deal, they still have last years #1 rated Qb coming out of HS.... Whoops never mind, he just transferred last month.:)

SharkHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1kc8hsa6 said:
drdiags":1kc8hsa6 said:
What the heck is a Residence Life violation? Failing to live in the dorm or something?

I know BYU has some pretty strict honor code things that can get you in a lot of trouble if you don't follow them. I wonder if Notre Dame as a Catholic school has the same kind of thing? That's the only thing I can think of. (although it seems like the starting QB that just took you to the title game would be able to get away with discipline problems that the average student couldn't get away with).

Yes indeed J. Thanks for bringing it up. The BYU Honor Code is an interesting animal in itself. Notre Dame doesn't have one that is like BYU's, I believe they just have a standard student code of conduct, which every school has. BYU's is different in that you have to sign it and pledge it, and they have an office that specifically addresses issues and can hold what is essentially a trial over honor code violations.

Yes... I went to BYU. NO, I never got specifically in trouble with the honor code office (aside from a couple of missteps with my lack of shaving), but I did have to get a waiver for a section of the honor code (this isn't a lie, I promise) and I had to get a "beard waiver". I literally had to go to a dermatologist and get looked at and get a letter written by him that stated that I had a skin condition that prevented me from shaving daily due to my naturally curly hair. I'd get awful painful bumps and I had to get a waiver and it was an actual card that I carried in my wallet (like an ID) that waived a section of the honor code for me. I would go to take a test in the proctoring center, and I'd get called out by the honor code weasels and they'd deny me entrance into the testing center, and I'd have to get out my card and show it to them. Then they'd make a formal complaint stating that I had come into the testing center without having shaved and not having presented my "beard card" in advance, and then the honor code office would call me and apologize or say "You need to show it in advance." I barely had what could be called a beard in those days, because I'd use clippers and just shave it like five o'clock shadow short, but there was always some weasel who wanted to bust somebody.

They also take anonymous complaints and go after people. I had friends who would get letters saying they had to appear before the honor council in order to answer for something, and they wouldn't even tell them what it was, so they couldn't prepare a defense basically or try to have an alibi. Then they'd get there and somebody would say they saw them out late at night (past curfew or something) and they were making out with somebody or whatever. Funny that the person could report them anonymously, when they were obviously out breaking the rules too. Cut people some slack. It really felt like Nazi Germany during those times. It's one of the main reasons I left and finished up my degree at Utah Valley. That, and Utah Valley has the best education program in the region (having surpassed UNLV which surprisingly has the most rigorous and respected ed program in the intermountain west... well second most now behind UVU).

The whole thing was sort of a running joke. I still have my beard card in my box of college memories somewhere. It's pretty funny. It has a BYU logo on it, a doctor's signature, a signature from the head of the honor code office, and my signature. All of my black friends also had beard cards because they also had the same issue with ingrown hairs (so stupid that you have to carry a card if you can't shave your face baby butt smooth each day... what a joke). So the beard guys would hang out, and we all enjoyed our awesome beard cards. It was like a badge of honor.

Funny thing though... I knew one guy who had a WICKED heavy beard. It was amazing how fast that thing grew in. He shaved one morning at 7:00 or so, and then we had intramural football at about 8:00 PM. The ref wouldn't let him play due to "stubble". He said he had shaved that morning. This little prepubescent ref is like, "NO WAY. IMPOSSIBLE. I'm reporting you to the honor code office." So the guy ran back to his apartment and shaved and the ref looked it over and gave him the ok to play, but still reported him. He had to go to a hearing and show them how thick his beard was. In the meantime his "ecclesiastical endorsement" was pulled, which meant he was not allowed to get grades, register for classes, or continue the next semester until the issue was fixed. He was there on an athletic scholarship and that was essentially on hold as well in the meantime while he cleared up his honor code issues. It is like slapping a lien on somebody's home. Oh the drama!

And to tie it back to Notre Dame. This is why I said Manti's scholarship at BYU was rescinded, and his cousin Shiloh lost his scholarship a few games into his freshman year and was expelled. They didn't like the whole honor code idea so much. I don't blame them, but you sign it, you kind of have to agree to it, no matter how idiotic the whole stupid system is.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2q96036b said:
BYU sounds like a horrible place, Shark.

Personally, i applaud moves by schools that follow through on applying the enforcement of Honor Code violations.
By no means do i think all schools should have similar rules to BYU, but if you choose to attend such an institution you should be held to their standards of conduct.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Basis4day":cu5pejva said:
Sarlacc83":cu5pejva said:
BYU sounds like a horrible place, Shark.

Personally, i applaud moves by schools that follow through on applying the enforcement of Honor Code violations.
By no means do i think all schools should have similar rules to BYU, but if you choose to attend such an institution you should be held to their standards of conduct.

If your Honor Code allows for snitches to complain about facial hair without repercussions, you're focusing on the wrong thing.

pnwhawk25

Reaction score
Tough break for ND, who was looking to build from last seasons success. It will be interesting who wins out the top QB job.

ivotuk

Reaction score
drdiags":24de0jxd said:

Residence Life is the organization that controls the dorms, makes rules and governs student/visitor movement. If you sneak someone in to the dorm that is not supposed to be there, have people staying in your room, too much noise, etc etc, you can get penalized. It's kind of like an apartment building cooperative except that the residents get very little say in how it's run.

I was an Resident Assistant/Assistant Resident Director for 3 years and it was a lot of fun! I got called whenever parties got out of hand and saw a lot of funny isht. But there are long hours as you're basically on call 24/7 and it will effect your GPA.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
BYU's a private university, primarily funded by tithing from the members of the Mormon church. So it has a few funky rules...big deal! Doesn't really bother me too bad, I love it here. And if it's something that would bother you, there are plenty of other options nearby (Utah Valley University, University of Utah, etc.). BYU doesn't force anyone to go to school there.

SmokeyHawk

Reaction score
Right; but we're talking about ND here, a private university primarily funded by the......(pretty sure BYU's tuition is what primarily funds it). Nobody forced dude to go to ND either which has similar honor codes, although maybe not as lame. Fact is, he probably got caught cheating. That's a violation at any school.

-SH

Latest posts