Manziel suspended for first half vs rice

pehawk

Reaction score
Has the NFL suspended him too? Ya know, for good measure?

Subzero717

Reaction score
It was a agreememt reached by the NCAA and the University. Lets be real the NCAA isn't going to miss out on the money that kid brings in by benching him. If he isn't playing this year that's dollars out of their pocket. A&M v Bama goes from primtime CBS to basic cable etc. Not to mention they are gutless and agenda driven. The mighty SEC never in trouble.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Such a joke. Not just the punishment but quickly they decided to do something. They investigated oregon for what, 15 years? But now they feel the need to act quickly?

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
They sure showed him!

From what I heard it had to do with him not taking steps to prevent the sale of his autograph, something along those lines. Theres some kind of NCAA rule.

If its a lesser known player and not Johnny Heisman does he get the same treatment? Probly not.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Stoned Cold":1sfsa53o said:
They sure showed him!

From what I heard it had to do with him not taking steps to prevent the sale of his autograph, something along those lines. Theres some kind of NCAA rule.

If its a lesser known player and not Johnny Heisman does he get the same treatment? Probly not.
If it's a lesser player it probably never gets reported in the first place.

kearly

Reaction score
That penalty is intentionally humorous. A&M would clobber Rice without Manziel, but they made it a silly sounding half-game suspension anyway just to drive home how much of a nothing penalty it is.

Many Oregon fans were worried about the possibility of major sanctions the last couple years and ended up getting a nothing penalty. Now this. I wonder if the NCAA has turned gun shy after over-reacting with previous punishments (USC, Ohio State, arguably Penn State).

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Wow. A half against Rice? That's the same type of suspension you get if you show up late to practice.

Maybe the NCAA is getting gun-shy, the USC sanctions were BS and so were the Penn State sanctions.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Apparently the whole NCAA "investigation" consisted of them asking Manziel if he took money. They didn't talk to anyone else other than Manziel and his lawyer.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
SeatownJay":26ait5az said:
Stoned Cold":26ait5az said:
They sure showed him!

If it's a lesser player it probably never gets reported in the first place.

True, good point.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
kearly":qktebzey said:
That penalty is intentionally humorous. A&M would clobber Rice without Manziel, but they made it a silly sounding half-game suspension anyway just to drive home how much of a nothing penalty it is.

Many Oregon fans were worried about the possibility of major sanctions the last couple years and ended up getting a nothing penalty. Now this. I wonder if the NCAA has turned gun shy after over-reacting with previous punishments (USC, Ohio State, arguably Penn State).

I think it's the Miami Hurricane fiasco more so. They blew that mess. I noticed the penalties have been less harsh (like Oregons), but I didn't think Oregon did much wrong. We'll see how the Auburn sanctions go. They seem to be taking their time with them. And the evidence against Auburn is brutal.

sc85sis

Reaction score
So much for Paul Dee's proclamation that "high profile players demand high profile compliance." Guess that only applies to Reggie Bush and USC.

Dez Bryant must be cheesed off right now too.

pehawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":s15w2eob said:
So much for Paul Dee's proclamation that "high profile players demand high profile compliance." Guess that only applies to Reggie Bush and USC.

Dez Bryant must be cheesed off right now too.

C'mon! You know there's a double standard. Being dominate AND on the West Coast is frowned upon.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Let's see, a lawsuit to recover $290,000 paid to the Bush family brings facts that the NCAA can use to penalize,

vs.

zero evidence that JFF received anything (I'm not saying he didn't).

And Dez has stated that JFF should be able to sell his own autograph.

cover-2

Reaction score
It doesn't look like he took the punishment too seriously. Here are couple of his antics during the game Saturday.

083113-CFB-AGGIES-JOHNNY-MANZIEL-DC-PI3_20130831155021857_640_480.JPG

083113-CFB-AGGIES-JOHNNY-MANZIEL-DC-PI2_20130831161114867_640_480.JPG