Hawks pick: Clowney or Lee?

HawkWow

Reaction score
..at this rate, they'll both be available when we draft.

Yes, I'm being (a bit) facetious. But their current, less than spectacular play bolsters my earlier statement that you can't be giving up the house (for non-QBs) in the draft.

Lee obviously misses Matt Barkley (and Robert Woods) and it appears Clowney spent the off-season reading his own press. The season is still young, but 2 games down and neither looking like game changers.

More examples of hard work trumping talent. Me thinks.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Looked like Clowney was hurt a couple of times in this game. There is a certain violence about his game though. He's a great player but I still don't understand all the press he got, especially over that one hit. He came through unblocked and tackled some running back. I mean, was that RB supposed to be somebody special? Vincent Smith? All 5'6" and 175 pounds of him? A lot of DL would look good tackling Mighty Mite in the backfield if they were unblocked. Not to mention if they were allowed to lead with their helmet, and make helmet to helmet contact knocking the running back's helmet off.

I have to admit, last year I got caught up in the hype, but now that I've actually watched some of his games, I think he's overrated. A good player but certainly not the number one overall pick, or even top 5 that a lot of people have been pushing. Mid to late first round would be my estimation.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
We see him in the exact same light.

I think he's an unbelievable talent, but the NCAA is filled with unbelievable talent. He is fortunate the media chose him to force feed to us. Many are/were suggesting he's worth a bevy of 1sts. Hes not. Not yet.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Marqise has unbelievable talent and is extremely competitive, but he still has some areas of his game to work on. Right now he's trying to do way to much and letting things get to him. Our QB/play calling situation isn't help him either.

P.S. This should probably be in the NCAA forum.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Agreed on all counts. I guess I am football first, team second (hard to say that). I am no fan of the SC Trojans, but cannot say I enjoy what is happening down there. USC is traditionally the high watermark...and this product they are currently fielding is just not good for college football. Bring back the bully.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Don't want that Clowny.. what a bag load of luggage he will bring..Luggage full of baggage

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3b5gssco said:
Don't want that Clowny.. what a bag load of luggage he will bring..Luggage full of baggage

What kind of baggage? As far as I know he's a good kid never been in trouble.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
My theory? Clowney looked around and realized he really doesn't want to play in Oakland or Jacksonville.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Just for kicks, check out his high school highlights. Just imagine being some average 16 year old kids who goes out for football and wins the tackle position, then has to go up against this:

[youtube]LTkmiBdoBDc[/youtube]

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
Hey you guys overhyped Clowney. Talking about giving up the farm for the guy lol. He's good. A whole draft good like Ricky Williams. But the nonsense of trading Sherm or Earl...I had to walk away from that crazy talk. I'll say it again. Never give up a young proven all pro. Maybe if the potential is a bona-fide QB but thats still a gamble.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
ivotuk":2uvo6mce said:
Looked like Clowney was hurt a couple of times in this game. There is a certain violence about his game though. He's a great player but I still don't understand all the press he got, especially over that one hit. He came through unblocked and tackled some running back. I mean, was that RB supposed to be somebody special? Vincent Smith? All 5'6" and 175 pounds of him? A lot of DL would look good tackling Mighty Mite in the backfield if they were unblocked. Not to mention if they were allowed to lead with their helmet, and make helmet to helmet contact knocking the running back's helmet off.

I have to admit, last year I got caught up in the hype, but now that I've actually watched some of his games, I think he's overrated. A good player but certainly not the number one overall pick, or even top 5 that a lot of people have been pushing. Mid to late first round would be my estimation.

If thats how you think Clowney got his hype than you really never seen the guy play. You just saw a highlight. Shame on you. Dudes awesome, you just don't know. He started dominating as a true freshman and he's only 20 years old. Its comical how out of touch some west coasters are of the best talent down in the south east.