Is Cupcake Scheduling Killing College Football?

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Clearly college football teams have learned that scheduling cupcake is smart business and a great way to rest their teams before before and during conference plays. Also, since this type of scheduling began college football revenues are up.

For me, it's soul crushing. Watching SEC teams rout inferior opponents by 70 on week 10 of the season is shameful. Look at this horrendous slate of games last week and the ridiculous scores. There are four teams that are in the top 25 putting up over 70 points on miserable opponents (combined score 295-14)

Ala 31, CSU 6
OSU 76, FAMU 0
LOU 72, FIU 0
FSU 54, Cook 6
UGA 45, UNT 21
TA&M 42, SMU 13
UCLA 59, NMSU 13
BAY 70, ULM 7
MIA 77, SAV 7
WASH 56, IDST 0
TTU 33, TXST 7

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hopefully it starts to change next year once the BCS is no longer alive. Sounds like they may go to something like the RPI rating which they use for the NCAA tournament, so strength of schedule will matter more.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
If you think this is a new thing, I don't know what to tell you. UW beat Whitman University in like 1908 120-0. This isn't new, the small programs deserve equal ridicule if you dislike the system, as they are taking huge sums of money to play these games.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
No, it's not 'killing' college football. What's killing college football is is old rivalries being killed because of conference realignment.

But CFB is fine.

HawkGA

Reaction score
JSeahawks":7arzt0pa said:
Hopefully it starts to change next year once the BCS is no longer alive. Sounds like they may go to something like the RPI rating which they use for the NCAA tournament, so strength of schedule will matter more.

The original BCS weighted strength of schedule a lot. They've slowly be eroding its importance ever since. A real shame. It seems to me a lot of teams are taking the 1 good team, and 2 bad teams approach to scheduling non-conference games. I think that's pretty good. Sure 3 good games would be nice.

Part of the problem is that some games are between big schools but one of the schools sucks right now (see Oregon v. Tennessee). Also, if we didn't have the big schools play the small schools, then EWU never would have beaten Oregon Sate.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
falcongoggles":5a7pcion said:
Every single top 25 team won this week. This is bad for the sport long-term.

Using 1 week each year as the basis for judging something bad long term is bad.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1nm6xj9i said:
No, it's not 'killing' college football. What's killing college football is is old rivalries being killed because of conference realignment.

But CFB is fine.

Well said. There should never be a year that UW and USC do not play each other. Especially this year. ; ) I don't like the cupcakes scheduled either. Saturday night, the only joy I got out of that demolition was when the opposing coach thanked us for the class we displayed in taking our foot off the pedal...and their throats. OSU beating a bunch of pimple face kids by 76 pts. It's just wrong IMO. I feel for the battered players and their families that had to witness such a debacle. Just remember, comes around goes around.