Predict the score of Ducks vs Dawgs

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I've got Oregon winning 51-34. With that margin cut in half if De'Anthony Thomas does not play. I've got a lot of respect for this UW team and think its the best team they've had in quite awhile. Their problem is going to be that this is the best Ducks team i've ever seen as well. Both sides will score points but I think Oregon is obviously further along in their offensive progression then UW is (makes sense since they've been running the system a lot longer). Washington's defense is very good, but they were very good last year too and the Ducks scored 45 offensive points on them. Plus, this year UW's new fast pace offense is going to give the Ducks offense 3 or 4 extra possessions to work with. (personally I think Sark did the Ducks a favor by switching their offensive philosophy, I think the Ducks match up a lot better against this hurry up spread then they do against the traditional pro style UW offense).

I think Ducks win relatively easily, with Mariota's run/pass threat being the difference. I would be a bit surprised but not completely shocked if UW won, but they're going to need to play a great game to do it. My bold prediction for the game is that either Ifo or TMitch intercept at least one of those UW bubble screens and return if for a pick 6.

(obligatory acknowledgement that UW won a couple championships in the last century to satisfy callmeadawg and hawkwow.)

What you got? Give me a score and a reason.

pehawk

Reaction score
Here's my personal view on the game; will I be taking my daughter to the pumpkin patch at halftime or at 4? I'm taking one of my daughter's friends with and I told that mom "well, it depends on the Huskies game. I'll pick her up at 4:30, at the latest".

Logic tells me it'll be the Ducks, and I'll be out by halftime. Its their year, fate kind of works like that. Whatever the name of the current Duck HC is, he'll be to Chip Kelly what Tee Martin was to Peyton and Gruden was to Dungy.

pehawk

Reaction score
48-31, Ducks, with late TD for the Dawgs.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
California only put up 16 points on the Ducks. Tennessee, who barely lost to Georgia, only put up 14. Huskies don't realize how good this defense is, and so I just don't see the Huskies breaking the 30 mark. 43 - 24

jkitsune

Reaction score
Huskies' D is also top-10 in the nation. I won't say I'd be 'surprised' if the Ducks hang 40, because they're the Ducks and that O is capable of anything. That said, I don't 'expect' them to. I think the Ducks deserve to be favored to win, and I expect them to win by less than the spread. I imagine the winning team will score somewhere around 34 points, and the losing team will score somewhere around 28-30. I think that will end up being Oregon over Washington, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it go the other way.

I guess I'll say Oregon over Washington, 34-28, but I give the Huskies a solid chance of flipping that score. This UW team is tough and dangerous, and at home. How they played Stanford, minus ST and penalties, was special on the road, and they are way more capable of upsetting Oregon than they have been in years' past.

And I'm not impressed by Oregon's win over Cal in terms of how good the defense is. Cal is terrible. UO is phenomenal. That blowout was nothing more than I expect from a phenomenal team over a terrible team.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
jkitsune":1m4cxj5f said:
And I'm not impressed by Oregon's win over Cal in terms of how good the defense is. Cal is terrible. UO is phenomenal. That blowout was nothing more than I expect from a phenomenal team over a terrible team.

Cal is horrible, but their passing offense is one of the best in the nation (4th nationally in yards per game). Put up almost 400 passing yards vs Ohio State and 500 vs Washington State.

Oregon insider today says that DAT is doubtful. I'm hoping for a little bit more of Tyner and a little less of Marshall. Tyner is just as fast as DAT, while 30 pounds heavier, but he hasnt learned to set up his blocks as well as De'Anthony does yet. But like De'anthony if Tyner has any open field in front of him, its 6 points.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Passing yards are worthless, especially when;

a) you don't run the ball.

b) you are always getting killed on the scoreboard.

That said, I like Cal's QB.

35-31 Ducks.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I think Cal's offensive struggles throwing the ball against Oregon were a bit overstated, as the weather in that game utterly sucked, and Cal can't run the ball to save their life. Neither can Tennessee, that Vols qb is Rick Klausen reborn.

In regards to the game, I think the advantage obviously goes to Oregon. UW will have the emotion and the crowd, but if things go south early, I could see the crowd really going into "Here we go again" mode. In order for UW to win, they are going to have to cut out all the bs that's been holding them back this year. The stupid penalties, the little mistakes, they have to cut all that in half at minimum.

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, Keith Price has trouble against secondaries with speed that close windows fast. When Oregon is playing fast(I know, they are always fast, but there is a manic speed they can play with when they are locked in that resembles a hive of pissed off bees), their secondary can get suffocating.

Washington's o line is a little soft, but I was impressed with their blocking against Stanford. Once they get going and in rhythm they lean on guys a little bit and Sankey(who is not soft) hammers people in between the tackles. Oregon's got some stout d linemen that eat up blockers, have great hand placement and let the rest of the defense flow to the ball. It's the same scheme Oregon's run since Aliotti got there in essence.

I think Kasen Williams can have a big game, as he dwarfs over Oregon's cb's and seems to raise his level of play in big games.

I think Washington moves the ball a bit and scores, but I wonder still about their ability to stop Oregon's attack. They did a good job stopping a similar offense in Arizona(however, Arizona's qb sucks). I think the scheme they put in will be sound, but I wonder about their linebackers chasing Oregon sideline to sideline and the total conditioning it takes to run with the Ducks for four quarters. I also expect Danny Shelton to collapse and die of exhaustion.

Oregon wins 38-30, Huskies keep it interesting but never really threaten.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
UW over Oregon 45-38. Great defensive effort from the Huskies and Keith shows up last weeks performance with the game of his life 400+ yds, 3TD's. Kasen gets in the action - and big 150+ yds and 2 TD's. ASJ finally shows up and makes some impacting plays. Bishop Sankey has a stout effort with 200+ yards and 3 TD's.

Montlake goes crazy smelling the Roses....

seahawk2k

Reaction score
The only thing I smell right now is blatant mid week homer optimism. But that is the beauty of sports. Should be a great game, need a next level effort from the Huskies to win.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
They need to play lights out on special teams, stout on D, and Keith needs to play another fantastic game. If they do those things, they can beat Oregon.

HawkWow

Reaction score
JSeahawks":ww24fgde said:
I think Ducks win relatively easily, with Mariota's run/pass threat being the difference. I would be a bit surprised but not completely shocked if UW won.

Did you attend the Howard Cosell school of sports journalism, JSEA?

For our younger members: Cosell was notorious for covering his bases.

Gifford: "Who do you like in tonite's big match-up, Howard"?
Cosell: "Well Frank, I like the Bears big, but the Giants don't lose games of this magnitude".

At the game's conclusion, Howard would pat himself on the back and offer his famous "Just as I called it". Loved the guy and got hammered with him at FX McCrory's after a MNF game in the dome. UBER-intelligent man. Even when loaded. He is missed.

MY BOLD PREDICTION: UO 41- UW 24. Going to be very hard for us to beat this loaded UO team at their own game. I don't have the whole 10 year fear thing. Oregon has been better than us for 10 years. So what? Football is all about history, regardless of what that means to some. It is also historically cyclical.

I will be shocked if we win on Saturday, not surprised if we win the next 10. This rivalry will go on long after we are gone. In the end, all that matters is history and who won more Nattys. UO can beat us Saturday, but in the bigger picture, it's an almost insignificant W if they don't also win the title. That said, the pressure is on UO, not U-Dub, IMO. GO DAWGS!

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Oregon's chances at a National Title are slim (if not completely gone) if they lose to Washington. So there is that, the whole "win the decade" thing, and being the favorite to win the game. The pressure is all on them, and they are on the road.

Oregon can lose, you know... Ask Stanford about that. ;)

CPHawk

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":vb6vxwxj said:
Oregon's chances at a National Title are slim (if not completely gone) if they lose to Washington. So there is that, the whole "win the decade" thing, and being the favorite to win the game. The pressure is all on them, and they are on the road.

Oregon can lose, you know... Ask Stanford about that. ;)

Oregon hasn't lost on the road since 2009, and UW beat Stanford last year, and UO blew UW doors off. So there's that.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I feel we pose a bigger threat to UO than Stanford does. The Ducks will double Stanford's score when they meet. UO has UCLA at home, so will finish the season undefeated and play Bama for the Natty.

Stanford likes to fancy themselves as an SEC team playing in the Pac12. All good. They wanna' believe playing "smash mouth football" equates them to 'Bama. I'd more compare them to S. Carolina.

At #5, I'd call Stanford the most over-rated team in college football. Their schedule isn't exactly murderous, so they will finish with 2 losses (and an asterisk) going into their bowl game, which I hope they also lose. Stanford should not be in the top 10, and I will be stunned if they finish in the top 10.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
HawkWow":3i5nzd6z said:
I feel we pose a bigger threat to UO than Stanford does.

Stongly disagree. From a Ducks perspective UW's strengths match up perfectly with what the Ducks like to do. Stanford's power game scares the crap out of me. If the Ducks get a 10 point lead on Stanford, then its over. But if the game stays close i'm much more worried about STanford then I am about Washington.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Stanford has shown this year, they aren't a 4th qrt team. Asu and UW both wore them our and made comebacks late, and I think that could hurt them vs UO.