Flying Under-the-Radar: Clemson (WR) Martavis Bryant

cover-2

Reaction score
Clemson (WR) Martavis Bryant has been overshadowed the past couple years by teammate Sammy Watkins and former teammate DeAndre Hopkins (Texans, 2013 1st round pick). Bryant has great length, 6-5 200 lbs, similar body type to Sidney Rice. Bryant is one of Clemson's fastest players and is supposedly faster than Sammy Watkins, although I don't know that he is as quick off the line of scrimmage. Bryant was a highly recruited player coming out of high school who has had his struggles with dropped passes and as well as maturity issues. He is only a junior but I think he is highly likely to declare for the draft because his QB is leaving for the NFL after the season and Bryant has two daughters to support. Bryant is a prospect with huge upside and his best football may be ahead of him as long as he can mature and stay out of trouble. Bryant reminds me of former Bengals WR Chris Henry, similar body type, athleticism, and a little bit of a knuckle head. Way too early to predict what round he would go, but I could see him being an option for us in rounds 2-4.

There isn't any scouting video yet of him, but here are a couple of highlight plays I found of him on youtube.

[youtube]TeG1dXOZcJE[/youtube]

[youtube]Hxx6SVHQMP0[/youtube]

In this picture he can see how much bigger (longer) he is than Sammy Watkins.
940x

896442.JPG

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
Some updated info on Martavis Bryant. Bryant is one of the hot names right now, and is no longer flying under the radar. Cbssports.com has him as a 2nd-3rd round prospect. He shows great initial quickness and speed. I like his ball skills better than the more highly touted Brandon Coleman. While both Bryant and Coleman are a bit raw as route runners, Bryant is more of a quick-footed WR than Coleman, which gives him more upside as a route runner.

Below is an article on Bryant that was written a couple of days ago.
http://www.postandcourier.com/artic...8/1036/bryant-breeland-close-in-on-nfl-dreams

Here are some his highlights from this year, and one game tape from this year.

[youtube]vASGMWhYFfc[/youtube]

[youtube]EBY_lsCjCT4[/youtube]

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
He looks like a solid pick at R2. Bryant seems slighter than B.Coleman (Coleman is listed at 1 inch taller and 20 lbs heavier), but he definitely looks quicker and faster to me. I'm impressed with his production given that he is playing behind Watkins. It is so tough to compare production to Coleman though, because Boyd is so much better than Nova, and Coleman doesn't have a Watkins on the other side to draw away the defense.

That article about him declaring and why he is declaring for draft is telling about his high maturity level. He seems well-grounded and family oriented and less likely to risk screwing up off-field.

I'd be happy with Seahawks picking him up in R2. It'd be cool if we could trade back to pick him up in R3 and get a later round pick as well.

I wouldnt mind ASJ in R1 and Bryant in R2. Cut Sidney and restructure Miller.

Latest posts