Huskies - anything left to prove this year?

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
With losing to Oregon, Stanford, and ASU - the rest of the schedule looks pretty cake again (outside of Oregon State) - is there anything left on the line for Sark and Co. to have the opportunity to prove something?

Middling team struggling to reach the next level seems like our MO the last 3 seasons.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Sark has to prove that he's worth keeping around. IMO, another 7-win season and he should be gone.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
UCLA down in LA is a cakewalk? Since when? UW does not win down there.

I think UW can prove that they have grown as a program if they win out. Another seven win season with losses to UCLA and OSU would cause many people to argue that UW hasn't beat anybody. This is a critical juncture that will test the character of the program.

OP
OP
ClumsyLurk

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
seahawk2k":26u37h4x said:
UCLA down in LA is a cakewalk? Since when? UW does not win down there.

I think UW can prove that they have grown as a program if they win out. Another seven win season with losses to UCLA and OSU would cause many people to argue that UW hasn't beat anybody. This is a critical juncture that will test the character of the program.
Sorry - UCLA definitely not a cakewalk. 8 wins (with a loss to UCLA) and I still wont be satisfied.

Thanks for pointing out @UCLA - totally forgot that one.

CPHawk

Reaction score
UW should have saved us all a bunch off crappy football, and hired Mora before he became the hawks HC for a year.

Throwdown

Reaction score
They gotta prove they can pick themselves up off the mat after getting beat down 3 weeks in a row.

Cal was a start, I guess but they suck... Colorado is going to be the same thing, UCLA is going to be a huge test, I have a feeling UW loses that one though.

kearly

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":15zuzo67 said:
Even if they win out. I'm not sure I'd want Sark back anyway. :|

:34853_doh:

So a coach who takes an 0-12 team five years ago to a hypothetical 10-3 season (bowl game) playing one of the toughest schedules in college football isn't someone you'd want back? For who? Jim Mora?

I don't get fans sometimes.

I'm all for upgrading on Sark if a real upgrade is out there, which right now there isn't.

But I do think the team has gotten better every single year he's been here; if you look deeper than the skim of the surface of his teams it's pretty obvious. UW is easily top 25 in both offense and defense this season, not a lot of teams can say that. Two losses were on the road to teams that are ranked and the loss at home was to maybe the best team in college football. The ASU game was a brutal case of a game spiraling out of control thanks to a combination of factors, but that game was on the Harry's and Joe's, not on the X's and O's. And by that I basically mean an injured KP and a terrible OL who's deficiencies were unmasked by ASU's defense. It would be nice if Sark could recruit OL, but otherwise he's done an excellent job building up a very balanced football team.

And btw, OL/DL is typically the hardest thing to recruit for. There just aren't a ton of great lineman in college football, and most of them go to the powerhouse schools.

OP
OP
ClumsyLurk

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
kearly":z9x6gnki said:
KitsapGuy":z9x6gnki said:
Even if they win out. I'm not sure I'd want Sark back anyway. :|

:34853_doh:

So a coach who takes an 0-12 team five years ago to a hypothetical 10-3 season (bowl game) playing one of the toughest schedules in college football isn't someone you'd want back? For who? Jim Mora?

I don't get fans sometimes.

I'm all for upgrading on Sark if a real upgrade is out there, which right now there isn't.

But I do think the team has gotten better every single year he's been here; if you look deeper than the skim of the surface of his teams it's pretty obvious. UW is easily top 25 in both offense and defense this season, not a lot of teams can say that. Two losses were on the road to teams that are ranked and the loss at home was to maybe the best team in college football. The ASU game was a brutal case of a game spiraling out of control thanks to a combination of factors, but that game was on the Harry's and Joe's, not on the X's and O's. And by that I basically mean an injured KP and a terrible OL who's deficiencies were unmasked by ASU's defense. It would be nice if Sark could recruit OL, but otherwise he's done an excellent job building up a very balanced football team.

And btw, OL/DL is typically the hardest thing to recruit for. There just aren't a ton of great lineman in college football, and most of them go to the powerhouse schools.
Word Kearly - but that 0-12 team was imo - an anomily - they could have and should have at least won the Apple Cup that (blocked chip shot FG in OT) and the BYU game (blocked chip shot FG [after locker scored the game winning TD and got it called back for unsportsmanlike conduct, excess celebration - he threw the ball about 30 feet in the air after crossing the goal line).

I don't buy the 0-12 talk because that team had some talent and they only really tanked after Locker broke his thumb on a run block and (Bonnell was it?) took over at QB.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Kearly, I think if Sark wins out, a lot of the criticism will subside. If its another seven win season, then the heat will stay on. This team has too much talent to only win 7, if they do, that's coaching. That would be another year of underachieving, last year they should've won 9, they won 7, this year they should win 9 or 10, if they win seven, I think the heat is justifiably on. Hell, eight might even spare him, just not seven again.

That 0-12 squad was a combination of no depth, terrible coaching, a brutal schedule and the players hating the coaching staff. They had the talent of a 4-5 win team, ended up with 0. The team was mentally weak, out of shape and horribly coached. It wasn't like the cupboard was completely bare.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
This will be the 4th year in a row that Sark's teams have played at the same level.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
I suppose as fans we're supposed to expect 3 back to back blowouts each year under Sark. And we are supposed to accept that fact. We give up over 600 yards to Oregon and he says he'll fix it during the offseason. That crap got Holt immediately canned. But that's acceptable now. We played Oregon somewhat acceptable for the first half. Then played like crap for the second half. Not to mention the other 2 losses. Half the time the team seems uninspired and ill-prepared. But that's supposed to be acceptable now.

The good O and D linemen go to powerhouses. Well no shit. I wouldn't want to play for Sark either. There used to be a time when they wanted to come here. That's no longer the case. Not after Lambright and Weasel couldn't win the big ones. Gilbertson was never that good. And Willingham was a total joke. Kind of seems like they're starting to follow the Mariners lead and accept mediocre teams.

If Sark can turn it around and win the rest of the games. And do it convincingly, then he might earn another year. But I for one am not going to hold my breath for that.

Excuse me if I expect better.

mrblitz

Reaction score
how much does the 'front office' at the u even care about this? it sure seemed they were reluctant to let go of willingham. would/will it be any different with a consistently mediocre sark?

(edit) maybe the expectations of having a new stadium, and increased pressure from the alumni will cause a move?

OP
OP
ClumsyLurk

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
My
mrblitz":15lz6afp said:
how muigch does the 'front office' at the u even care about this? it sure seemed they were reluctant to let go of willingham. would/will it be any different with a consistently mediocre sark?

(edit) maybe the expectations of having a new stadium, and increased pressure from the alumni will cause a move?
I think they're serious now. They were asleep at the wheel for a generation, but as you stated with the new stadium, I believe that was putting their money where their mouth was.

Sark needs to win some big OL and DL recruits this year. Sark is a fierce recruiter (the visor ain't for golfing at least) so it is not mission impossible.
But as far as I know recruiting is done not by position but by region, so all of his ass. coaches need to step up in their recruiting at those positions.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
I started reading this posting and had to look twice... I thought I was in the wrong Forum....

If you want to know what I think about the Huskies, here goes... I think they'll be bowl bound ranked about #5 in the Pack 12, and they'll meet up ain with Boise State in either the Vegas Bowl, or the Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego... I'm looking forward to a rematch, but this time things will be different on neutral ground in a Bowl Game.... :thirishdrinkers:

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
That's all UW needs is another bowl game rematch that nobody will care to watch because the first game was a dreckfest.

HawkWow

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":nlpam9k0 said:
I suppose as fans we're supposed to expect 3 back to back blowouts each year under Sark. And we are supposed to accept that fact. We give up over 600 yards to Oregon and he says he'll fix it during the offseason. That crap got Holt immediately canned. But that's acceptable now. We played Oregon somewhat acceptable for the first half. Then played like crap for the second half. Not to mention the other 2 losses. Half the time the team seems uninspired and ill-prepared. But that's supposed to be acceptable now.

The good O and D linemen go to powerhouses. Well no shit. I wouldn't want to play for Sark either. There used to be a time when they wanted to come here. That's no longer the case. Not after Lambright and Weasel couldn't win the big ones. Gilbertson was never that good. And Willingham was a total joke. Kind of seems like they're starting to follow the Mariners lead and accept mediocre teams.

If Sark can turn it around and win the rest of the games. And do it convincingly, then he might earn another year. But I for one am not going to hold my breath for that.

Excuse me if I expect better.

My thoughts exactly. Sark wins out and I'll STHU for another year. Anything less and I feel other options should be considered. Anything less than 9 wins and he needs to be replaced without reservation. IMO.