I badly want Shayne Skov on the Seahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Might be my favorite (non duck) college football player ever.

I don't care how he grades out at the combine. Or that he may not fit our biggest need. The dude is just a great football player, and one of the most instinctive football players I've ever seen. Most draft analysts have him projected as a 3rd round pick but i'd glady take him in the 2nd. (Hell, i'd be jumping for joy if we took him at #32.)

Major man crush.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
He's incredibly smart, but is he athletic enough for the team? I mean, I'd love to see that kind of nasty going downhill to kill Zac Stacy, but I'm worried he doesn't fit the bigger, faster, stronger profile. Guess we'll see.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I like him as a player but he strikes me as strictly a 3-4 ILB. I don't think he fits in Seattle outside of maybe his attitutde/mentality.

kearly

Reaction score
The speed of our LB corps has me completely spoiled. Watching KJ Wright get consistently outran in both run support and coverage is driving me crazy, and Wright ran a median level 4.75 forty at the combine. Compared to all the other guys who run between 4.45 and 4.50, he seems like a complete slowpoke.

So for that reason, I've pretty much lost interest completely in LBs who aren't blazing fast.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":2p13rkif said:
The speed of our LB corps has me completely spoiled. Watching KJ Wright get consistently outran in both run support and coverage is driving me crazy, and Wright ran a median level 4.75 forty at the combine. Compared to all the other guys who run between 4.45 and 4.50, he seems like a complete slowpoke.

So for that reason, I've pretty much lost interest completely in LBs who aren't blazing fast.

Agreed. Wright was always kind of an outlier for Pete's speed requirements. His length and savvy kind of make up for raw speed. Wright does seem to be miscast as a WLB. I'm half wondering if there isn't a long term strategy to switch between Irvin and Wright. Irvin just has to keep growing as a backer. His speed is ideal for a Will in Pete's defense.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
seahawksfan28":1scu633e said:
Anyone on the Stanford o-line would do as well.

Meh.

They're well coached but can't help but feel they always struggle at the next level.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":a5jngjp0 said:
seahawksfan28":a5jngjp0 said:

Meh.

They're well coached but can't help but feel they always struggle at the next level.

Plus its not like they were opening up huge holes last night. They were just leaning on the Ducks for 3 or 4 yards at a time. It was more about scheme and game plan then it was about total domination by the o'line, imo.

BillHawks

Reaction score
JSeahawks":16p41cba said:
theENGLISHseahawk":16p41cba said:
seahawksfan28":16p41cba said:

Meh.

Plus its not like they were opening up huge holes last night. They were just leaning on the Ducks for 3 or 4 yards at a time. It was more about scheme and game plan then it was about total domination by the o'line, imo.

Scheme played a big part of it but they're so well coached. I was shocked when I heard that they committed their first holding penalty of the yea in that game. In fact, I'm 100% sure it had to be inaccurate.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
This forum is seeing a slow but sure increase in the number of posts one must scroll through to find out what POSITION some of these prospects play. ;)

cover-2

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2d54oft7 said:
Might be my favorite (non duck) college football player ever.

I don't care how he grades out at the combine. Or that he may not fit our biggest need. The dude is just a great football player, and one of the most instinctive football players I've ever seen. Most draft analysts have him projected as a 3rd round pick but i'd glady take him in the 2nd. (Hell, i'd be jumping for joy if we took him at #32.)

Major man crush.

For me Skov is the next Casey Matthews. If I remember correctly Casey was one of the LB's that a lot of people on here liked for the Seahawks. Casey was another one of those good insticts, high production in college, but below average speed and athletic ability for the position. Casey was a 4th round draft pick in the 2011 draft. He was given the starting position at MLB for the Eagles as a rookie and now at this point of his career is just a backup player stealing a roster spot.

I would suggest taking a look at mid-round prospect Louisville (LB) Preston Brown: Brown has good size, 6-2 260 lbs., he has decent quickness and speed for his size. If you want a big heavy hitting LB that still has some decent speed then Brown may be your guy. While I think he may best served playing at 250 - 255 lbs to maybe gain some more speed and fluidity. Brown's body type reminds me a little of Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict, a little heavy, but if got in better shape he could be the sledge hammer of our LB core.

BrownP_Slideshow.jpg

[youtube]QEGeAvrvAMM[/youtube]

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hmm, I can't speak for everybody but I never thought Casey was going to be a good pro. Is Skov really unathletic? Looks pretty impressive to me flying all over the field.

cover-2

Reaction score
JSeahawks":4gwibc7p said:
Hmm, I can't speak for everybody but I never thought Casey was going to be a good pro. Is Skov really unathletic? Looks pretty impressive to me flying all over the field.

Scouting really is subjective . So, maybe I'm in the minority in thinking Skov is a average to below average athletically for the LB position. But, if you just casually watch football games or highlights on TV, then yeah I'm sure Skov really jumps off the TV. But, if you rewind and see how long it takes a LB to cover ground, which I have with Skov, then it really should be obvious that he has average speed at best and maybe average athletically for a NFL MLB.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
it would probably depend on how well his numbers looked at the combine, the current linebacker crew is pretty fast.. though you look at age and contract status of the current crew, the need of using a low 2nd (and no 3rd round pick) on Skov seems unlikely given other needs.