Manziel is the no-doubt Heisman pick

kearly

Reaction score
It's too bad they can't give one out three Heisman's this year as Winston, Mariota, and Manziel are all deserving. I'd probably vote for Manziel. Even though he lost, is there another QB in college football that could score and move the ball the way he did against Alabama? Manziel is one of the hardest QBs to shut down that I've ever seen.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I'm not saying its right or fair but Mariota gave his chance at a Heisman in the Stanford game.

Manziel has lost be he dang near hung half a hundred on Bama.

Winston wins out and its a tighter two man race.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":i6zmgeav said:
Bryce petty, qb from Baylor.

Haven't watched Petty, but I am assuming he's a system QB. Nobody is talking about him despite Baylor being a juggernaut, and his predecessor was similarly prolific and didn't even bother trying for an NFL career.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":2yqycvir said:
JSeahawks":2yqycvir said:

Haven't watched Petty, but I am assuming he's a system QB. Nobody is talking about him despite Baylor being a juggernaut, and his predecessor was similarly prolific and didn't even bother trying for an NFL career.

Wasn't his predecessor rg3?

JKent82

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3v9wzpew said:
kearly":3v9wzpew said:
JSeahawks":3v9wzpew said:

Nick Florence, he's happily getting his masters and not playing football.

The other day one of the former scouts on twitter, I can't remember which had him as their third QB. I haven't watched him play though.

OP
OP
DTexHawk

DTexHawk

Reaction score
JKent82":116y9eot said:
JSeahawks":116y9eot said:
kearly":116y9eot said:
JSeahawks":116y9eot said:

Nick Florence, he's happily getting his masters and not playing football.

The other day one of the former scouts on twitter, I can't remember which had him as their third QB. I haven't watched him play though.

Nick was on local radio last week before the Baylor/OU game and was telling the story about he and RGIII show up as freshman, and he was so happy he was going to have a receiver like Griffin to throw to.. He laughed and said it didn't quite work out that way.

OP
OP
DTexHawk

DTexHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":9cbegml8 said:

And what do you base this on? Cause he clearly is 3rd or 4th based on stats.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
DTexHawk":2ku7zsbd said:
JSeahawks":2ku7zsbd said:

Yes, but you have to remember he's only played a little over a half in most his games so his stats are misleading. Also he played his best game against his best competition do far and did it after his rb's got hurt.

Plus, fair or not, I think many voters will ding manziel because of his off season issues. I think a lot of them will be reluctant to give it to him again.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Manziel is definitely an exciting player to watch and he puts up big numbers, but how much of that is him and how much of it is because he gets to run around and then throw it up for grabs to Calvin Johnson, Jr. a lot?

OP
OP
DTexHawk

DTexHawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":7th9m637 said:
Manziel is definitely an exciting player to watch and he puts up big numbers, but how much of that is him and how much of it is because he gets to run around and then throw it up for grabs to Calvin Johnson, Jr. a lot?

Heisman winners always come from good, winning programs. There are always good players on those teams.

Manziel has 230 completions. Team total = 269 completions.

Evans has 57 receptions.
Kennedy has 55 receptions.
Walker has 35 receptions.
Labhart has 33 receptions.
Malena has 19 receptions.
Holmes has 17 receptions.
Gonzalez has 12 receptions.

Looks like he spreads it around pretty well.

drrew

Reaction score
DTexHawk":e5okrjdb said:
JSeahawks":e5okrjdb said:

You're clearly cherry picking 'stats'.

Bryce Petty 1 int
Johnny Manziel 11 int

Bryce Petty 210.6 passer rating....to give you an idea of how absurd this number is, there has never been an NCAA quarterback with even a 200 passer rating
Johnny Manziel 186.9 passer rating

While I think it should be Petty, the reality is it'll either be Winston (assuming this sexual assault thing goes away) or McCarron (who is criminally underrated, and I do not like Alabama). Manziel has played better this year than last, but he shouldn't have won it last year, and he won't win it this year.

OP
OP
DTexHawk

DTexHawk

Reaction score
No, I looked at all the stats listed and weighed them.

You "cherry-picked" 2 and are using that alone. ;)

And really, who has Baylor played?

Out of 8 games, the best 2 opponents are a mediocre K State and a mediocre OU.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Not complaining cuz I know how the system works but it sucks that a guy like mariotA can go from Heisman front runner to hardly even mentioned after 1 loss.

It's strange because mariotA was statistically better in that Stanford loss then Winston was in their Miami win. Manziel gets credit against Alabama even though they lost because his d let him down, but mariotA gets basically eliminated because of the Stanford loss even though his d couldn't get off the field and only let Marcus have the ball for 16 minutes.

Oh well, like anything else in life the heisman vote is all about perception.

OP
OP
DTexHawk

DTexHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1rc82lin said:
Not complaining cuz I know how the system works but it sucks that a guy like mariotA can go from Heisman front runner to hardly even mentioned after 1 loss.

It's strange because mariotA was statistically better in that Stanford loss then Winston was in their Miami win. Manziel gets credit against Alabama even though they lost because his d let him down, but mariotA gets basically eliminated because of the Stanford loss even though his d couldn't get off the field and only let Marcus have the ball for 16 minutes.

Oh well, like anything else in life the heisman vote is all about perception.

Don't think you can compare Manziel & Mariota based on those 2 games. Manziel played well and perform well in the loss.

OR - 2 offensive TD's in 9 possessions (17:26 TOP)

A&M vs AL - 6 offensive TD's in 12 possessions (24:58 TOP)

When you go punt, downs, punt, fumble, fumble, punt on the first 6 possessions, don't see how you can blame the d for not enough time of possession. If Ducks score early and often, Stan has to change it's offensive plan.

*and yes, we are both biased. ;)

drrew

Reaction score
Why exactly are Bryce Petty or Marcus Mariota 'system' QB's, and Johnny Manziel is not?

Manziel has yet to come close to the numbers Case Keenum was putting up in the same offense that Sumlin ran at Houston. Manziel is a very good QB, but his success is just as much a factor of playing in that specific high powered offense as it is for Mariota or Petty.

Anyway, two loss Johnny is not going to win the Heisman again this year for two reasons. One, he's not head and shoulders above Mariota, Petty, Winston, McCarron, etc. Two, he's such an unlikable guy and that will absolutely cost him votes.

He can then head to the NFL and have a nice Jake Plummer-esque career.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
If I was picking it would be McCarron. Dude is lights out and doesn't need to be too flashy.

Next I'd go Manziel, then Winston, then Mariotta.

Petty is interesting but the guy hasn't faced anything as far as competition until Oklahoma and they aren't even strong, but he definitely showed up vs. them.

The more I look at states vs. good teams I really like Manziel. He's 1B for me.