hawkfan68's way to early 2014 Seahawk Mock Draft

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Here it is -

1st round - Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt - 6'3/205 pds. Interesting note - Cousin of Jerry Rice. Rising up the WR rankings
2nd round - La'el Collins, OT, LSU - 6'5/315. Excels in run blocking.
4th round - Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas - 6'4/250.
5th round - Brandon Thomas, OG, Clemson - 6'3/315.
6th round - Ryan Hewitt, FB, Stanford - 6'4/246
7th round - Logan Thomas, QB, Va tech - 6'6/257. Seen him compared to Cam Newton in several mock drafts. Still very raw.

cover-2

Reaction score
Jordan Matthews is a player undecided on. He is not particularly fast or quick (he might have his uncle's speed, in that Jerry Rice was not 40-yard dash fast but he was able to outrun defenders with the ball in his hands). Matthews dropped a few passes in one of the games I watched of him. Matthews has nice size, but not special as far as size for a WR. At this point I don't neccasarily think he would be an upgrade to Kearse. I kind of wrote Matthews off after watching one bad game of his, so I'll have to go back and look at a few more of his games.

La'el Collins is a new name to me, but if he is a 2nd round prospect then the 2014 draft is a banner year for OT's.

I really like Stanford (FB) Hewitt late in the draft. I was going to do a "Flying Under the Radar" topic for Hewitt, but that may be a little overzealous for a late round prospect. He is a former TE, he was in same recruiting class as former Stanford TE's Zach Ertz and Levine Toilolo. Stanford doesn't utilize him enough in the passing game IMO. He is a good athlete and has unusual size for a FB. Hewitt is not a devastating blocker; he is ususally subbed out in short yardage situations and the 2nd string FB is brought in to block. He could start day one for us and we could stop trying to develop Spencer Ware & Derrick Coleman, which is wasting two roster spots for the FB position.

Here is a good article on Hewitt.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...itt-could-give-stanford-boost-in-pac12-opener

Logan Thomas has been starting for 3 years and shouldn't be considered raw, I would label him underperforming/disappointing. But, still worth a taking a flier on late in the draft.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Nice looking draft. Brandon Thomas is one of those mid round OG prospects I've been coveting for several weeks now.

Collins would be a solid get in the 2nd.

Not sure I see the attraction to Matthews. He's not a particularly unique talent -- in fact there are at least a dozen 6'2"+ 4.5/4.6 guys with minor issues in this draft. That tends to be our criteria for day 1.

If we're in the market for that kind of guy, I'd project someone with good leaping/speed scores. Someone probably more raw.

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments Cover-2 and Attyla. I prefer Allen Robinson, WR in the first round but I have a feeling he will be taken before the Seahawks pick. The Seahawks are pretty loaded team so it's a struggle at this point to see what needs there are or will be by May.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
My youngest son played against Jeffcoat from 6th grade up through high school.

In 8th grade, my son was TE and assigned to block Jackson. JJ just threw him out of the way with ease. Of course JJ had 6 inches and 60 lbs on him. :lol:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1hjd0hwc said:
Thanks for your comments Cover-2 and Attyla. I prefer Allen Robinson, WR in the first round but I have a feeling he will be taken before the Seahawks pick. The Seahawks are pretty loaded team so it's a struggle at this point to see what needs there are or will be by May.

I've been on the Robinson train since before the season started. I like him as an athlete. Although I would really doubt he makes the top 31. There are elements to his game that I think might preclude him from being a seahawk in round 1.

First and foremost, he generally doesn't block. He looks entirely disinterested in that aspect of WR play. I think that really hurts him for us specifically. All of our WRs embrace and work hard at that component of their game. In fact, you can watch PSU games and tell instantly if it's run or pass entirely by how Robinson comes out of his stance. It's something that is a bit of a red flag for me.

I'd also cite the depth of possession WRs in this draft. Robinson doesn't really separate or distinguish himself from this group. His speed and leaping ability are probably going to be middle of the pack. While I like him as a possession guy with good balls skills and a solid running style, he's not a guy who is going to break tackles or elude tacklers completely, like we've come to expect from Golden Tate. He is a significant downgrade in dynamic quality from what we have.

Realistically, I think I might grade him below Jared Abbrederis. I do think he will surprise with his speed at the combine. He and Robinson are pretty close in terms of what role they'd fill in the NFL. Abbrederis has a lot more well rounded game than Robinson and would be an asset on special teams. I think there are quite a few possession receivers in this class that can demonstrate that as well.

Robinson would in my mind be a good late 2nd round prospect. If someone wants to take him in the first, great. Means someone with more game changing ability falls to us.

HighlandHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2pive39v said:
Here it is -

1st round - Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt - 6'3/205 pds. Interesting note - Cousin of Jerry Rice. Rising up the WR rankings
2nd round - La'el Collins, OT, LSU - 6'5/315. Excels in run blocking.
4th round - Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas - 6'4/250.
5th round - Brandon Thomas, OG, Clemson - 6'3/315.
6th round - Ryan Hewitt, FB, Stanford - 6'4/246
7th round - Logan Thomas, QB, Va tech - 6'6/257. Seen him compared to Cam Newton in several mock drafts. Still very raw.

The thing wiith mocks is that do you do write and pick what YOU want or what you think will happen.. That's always difficult and I struggle with it as well, see a player, like him but never sure if he's a PCJS pick. I think this year we'll be drafting replacements as well

1) Decent pick and I wouldn't have a problem with it at all, I just can't see PCJS now going receiver in 1st round. Kearse and Baldwin have stepped up (always compete) and while Pete loves his big WR's I can see them targetting someone further in the draft to fill that role.

2) Good pick. Can play the interior as well. Not sure he'll last until the end of round two and potentially not as athletic as Cable likes but if he's available there then go for it.

4) Jeffcoat if he falls into the end of the 4th round would be a steal but he won't. I think he'll be lurking around the early 2nd round come draft time.

5) Can't comment on him since I've not scouted him (AFAIR) and you also forgot our other 5th round pick. G though is a decent choice for depth.

6) Not sure where Hewitt fits... We have two project FB's in Coleman and Ware and I believe one (likely Coleman) will be gone in the offseason. Hewitt is a decent blocker, decent catcher, decent runner but not great at anything at the next level. He makes the most out of Stanfords system. Certainly worth a 6th round pick but would rather see us resign McCoy and continue to develop Ware.

7) Not scouted so no idea.

Interesting draft though, certainly would help here and there with the picks. We always draft lines and since the PCJS era started they have drafted at least one DT and DB each year and I think this year will be no different with a view to saving cap space and replacing players, you probably could grab someone with the 5th round pick you missed though :)

Always think who won't be on the roster in the new season then try to find a player to place in the depth chart,

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Is Jeffcoat related the the Jeffcoat from Dallas? ( I know I said the d word, sorry).

:p
Go Hawksh

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'm revising my mock a bit (I forgot they had an extra 5th round pick so adding that too).

1st round - David Yankey, OG, Stanford. 6'5/314.
2nd round - Davante Adams, WR, Fresno St. 6'2/212.
4th round - Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin. 6'1/190
5th round - Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State. 6'3/265.
5th round - Sean Parker, SS, Washington. 5'10/195.
6th round - Ryan Hewitt, FB, Stanford. 6'4/246.
7th round - Logan Thomas, QB, Va tech. 6'6/254.