Johnny Manziel is a punk

Is Johnny Manziel a punk who is destined for Ryan Leaf status in the NFL?

• Yes

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 12 30.8%

• Total voters

rottweiler

Reaction score
Is he the greatest thing since sliced bread (a.k.a. Tim Tebow), as many bobbleheads seem to want us to believe — or is he the worst NFL QB prospect since, well, Tim Tebow?

Let's vote.

OP
OP
rottweiler

rottweiler

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3pzhxv2y said:
I think he's going to be great for a short while. I also don't think he's going to last very long.

I don't think Manziel's gonna be great at all.

I think his ego writes checks his body can't cash.

I think he's already bought into the hype about himself.

I think Ndamakong Suh prolly wants to see Manziel drafted by the Minnesota Vikings.

I think Manziel will prolly be poppin' a lot of "Vikes" given to him by his NFL team's physician about this time next year.

The NFL has its own special way of dealing with snotty-nosed punks. (If only it could find a way to deal with Roger Goodell, huh?)

kearly

Reaction score
He's one of the best QB prospects in a long time, and he's no less of an a-hole than Philip Rivers or Aaron Rodgers is. Quite frankly, I fail to understand the hate. We don't really need a QB, so I hope he stays far, far away from the NFC West.

If his game translates, he's a Hall of Famer. Maybe it doesn't, but I wouldn't bet against a guy with his on field intelligence, instincts and mobility. And it's not like he has a great team either. His defense is terrible, and on offense he's got a 1st round WR and a 1st round tackle and that's pretty much it. Not even Winston carries his team as much as Manziel has the last two years.

As far as the Leaf comparison, Leaf was mentally unstable... he has mental health issues and has been a disaster even after his football career (drug addiction, burglary, jail time). You don't drop Leaf comparison like they are nothing, Leaf was a once in a lifetime situation and while Manziel is a bit of a me-first guy, he's nothing like Leaf mentally. Leaf also had just one really good year after a couple weak seasons so you could make the "fluke" argument with him, Manziel has been almost unstoppable now in two seasons. They are both a little bit fiery but I've never seen Manziel lose his temper, something Leaf was famous for.

I think if he does bust in the NFL I would be very surprised if it was because of his maturity. He's about as unflappable as they come on the field. Maybe he does bust if teams can punish him a ton for his Favrian type risk taking, but SEC defenses haven't been able to do it, so I think he's got a pretty bright future. The last QB to massacre the SEC the way Manziel has was Cam Newton, and I'd say he's done pretty well for himself in the NFL.

davidonmi

Reaction score
I SMH at this poll. Is he completely there in the head, no. But can we please stop comparing 20 year old kids to ryan leaf?

OP
OP
rottweiler

rottweiler

Reaction score
davidonmi":27fuvooo said:
I SMH at this poll. Is he completely there in the head, no. But can we please stop comparing 20 year old kids to ryan leaf?

No, we can't.

Ryan Leaf still is a 20-year-old kid.

davidonmi

Reaction score
rottweiler":35ixhfln said:
davidonmi":35ixhfln said:

No, we can't.

Ryan Leaf still is a 20-year kid.
really? I think he's younger than that. Say 13?

HawkWow

Reaction score
kearly":33mxjjqr said:
Maybe he does bust if teams can punish him a ton for his Favrian type risk taking, but SEC defenses haven't been able to do it, so I think he's got a pretty bright future. The last QB to massacre the SEC the way Manziel has was Cam Newton, and I'd say he's done pretty well for himself in the NFL.

The big difference between the two, obviously size. Cam had the size and strength to get him through the NFL learning curve. While the SEC is very physical, it's a far cry from the NFL and Manziel has proven time and again he's not overly concerned about taking hits. I anticipate a very Mike Vick career for Johnny Manziel. But that ain't all bad.

OP
OP
rottweiler

rottweiler

Reaction score
kearly":1v1t6rx2 said:
He's one of the best QB prospects in a long time, and he's no less of an a-hole than Philip Rivers or Aaron Rodgers is. Quite frankly, I fail to understand the hate. We don't really need a QB, so I hope he stays far, far away from the NFC West.

You know, "hate" is such a strong — unlike "Johnny Football's" arm, and much like what he (and the media who slobber over everything he says and does) seems to think his image should mean to anyone who isn't playing backgammon with his relatives while fighting the urge to sleep after having eaten too much turkey on Thanksgiving — word, man.

Though I'm pretty sure that most of us who don't understand the antics and the very culture itself of the "one-percenters" playing backgammon with the Manziels — who've made more money off the black gold on which we unwittingly continue to depend every time we fill up our gas tanks to roll down the road to see "Johnny Football" (and alas, his ego) do the turkey strut all over the field every Saturday than most of us will ever see in five lifetimes — at the country clubs, I've little doubt that we "hate" the kid.

Long, meandering, turkey strut-like sentences be damned, I don't think it a stretch to say that most of us just don't like "Johnny Football" because he

1.) for whatever the reason(s) — correct or incorrect, right or wrong, truthful or fictive — doesn't seem like the Norman Rockwell-esque team player with which we've come to identify our beloved sport of football personified in the likes of the Knute Rocknes, the Gale Sayerses, the Ronnie Lotts and the Cortez Kennedys who've passed through the game's hallowed halls long before Manziel and his ego hit our television screens, our monitors, our iPods;

2.) manifests a singular, cult-of-personality-esque disconnect most of us whose families have fought seeming uphill battles off the gridirons all of our lives just to make ends meet, never striking it rich by making backroom deals over black gold while never getting so much as a speck of dirt on a single fingernail, let alone a bloodied hand or a sweaty brow from having done actual real, physical work.

I don't want to make "Johnny Football" into the personification of a class war, but thanks to the media and Mr. Football himself's unscrupulous tweeting about the lifestyle he's been afforded by way of said media's adulation of it, that's what it has tacitly become.

No one "hates" Johnny Manziel. We just don't like how easy things have been for the kid, and we don't like the way the kid arrogantly wears it as a cloak.

We don't understand him, or his ego. And I think Norman Rockwell would agree.

Subzero717

Reaction score
The op kills me. Manziels a punk and then brings Suh into the convo, the biggest punk on the face of the planet. FWIW according to most nfl execs according to some print they don't think Manziel translates.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
rottweiler":2f36ouod said:
kearly":2f36ouod said:

You know, "hate" is such a strong — unlike "Johnny Football's" arm, and much like what he (and the media who slobber over everything he says and does) seems to think his image should mean to anyone who isn't playing backgammon with his relatives while fighting the urge to sleep after having eaten too much turkey on Thanksgiving — word, man.

Though I'm pretty sure that most of us who don't understand the antics and the very culture itself of the "one-percenters" playing backgammon with the Manziels — who've made more money off the black gold on which we unwittingly continue to depend every time we fill up our gas tanks to roll down the road to see "Johnny Football" (and alas, his ego) do the turkey strut all over the field every Saturday than most of us will ever see in five lifetimes — at the country clubs, I've little doubt that we "hate" the kid.

Long, meandering, turkey strut-like sentences be damned, I don't think it a stretch to say that most of us just don't like "Johnny Football" because he

1.) for whatever the reason(s) — correct or incorrect, right or wrong, truthful or fictive — doesn't seem like the Norman Rockwell-esque team player with which we've come to identify our beloved sport of football personified in the likes of the Knute Rocknes, the Gale Sayerses, the Ronnie Lotts and the Cortez Kennedys who've passed through the game's hallowed halls long before Manziel and his ego hit our television screens, our monitors, our iPods;

2.) manifests a singular, cult-of-personality-esque disconnect most of us whose families have fought seeming uphill battles off the gridirons all of our lives just to make ends meet, never striking it rich by making backroom deals over black gold while never getting so much as a speck of dirt on a single fingernail, let alone a bloodied hand or a sweaty brow from having done actual real, physical work.

I don't want to make "Johnny Football" into the personification of a class war, but thanks to the media and Mr. Football himself's unscrupulous tweeting about the lifestyle he's been afforded by way of said media's adulation of it, that's what it has tacitly become.

No one "hates" Johnny Manziel. We just don't like how easy things have been for the kid, and we don't like the way the kid arrogantly wears it as a cloak.

Team player?? Have you spoken to his teammates about that? Watched every moment on the sidelines or at practices?

So if he came from the other side of the tracks you might like him?

Gotcha, you don't hate "him" so much, you just hate everyone who has more than you. :lol:

Subzero717

Reaction score
DTexHawk":1xw42tcc said:
rottweiler":1xw42tcc said:
kearly":1xw42tcc said:

Team player?? Have you spoken to his teammates about that? Watched every moment on the sidelines or at practices?

Gotcha, you don't hate "him" so much, you just hate everyone who has more than you. :lol:

He's so misguided and misinformed I feel trolled.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
His personality is nothing like RWs...so that's not a good thing if he's wanting to be successful in the NFL.

OP
OP
rottweiler

rottweiler

Reaction score
DTexHawk":2me13hjj said:
rottweiler":2me13hjj said:
kearly":2me13hjj said:

Nah. Not. What. I. Said. At. All.

And FYI, I don't hate morons who can't read, either.

Not directed at anyone in particular. Just sayin'. :twisted:

OP
OP
rottweiler

rottweiler

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":34t6wnae said:
DTexHawk":34t6wnae said:
rottweiler":34t6wnae said:
kearly":34t6wnae said:

Though I'm new here, I get a tingly, totally unfunny feeling that you probably feel that way quite a lot.

But for what it's worth, I feel the same way when I watch Johnny Manziel play football.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Dude you're making judgements that you have no idea are actually true. Who has told you manziel isn't a team player? His defense has been putrid this season giving him every reason to get angry and I haven't seen it happen once.
He has all the tools to be a great qb. My concern is he throws his body around recklessly at times. That needs to be fixed

OP
OP
rottweiler

rottweiler

Reaction score
davidonmi":1kfcuse3 said:
Dude you're making judgements that you have no idea are actually true. Who has told you manziel isn't a team player?

Manziel himself has, per the arrogant, selfish Tweets he made in the offseason after having won the Heisman.

Just imagine that Twitter were up and running in the days of Knute Rockne, Gale Sayers, Ronnie Lott, Steve Largent, Cortez Kennedy: Would any of them have acted like Manziel has?

His defense has been putrid this season giving him every reason to get angry and I haven't seen it happen once.

I'm assuming that's only because A&M Coach Kevin Sumlin had the sack to say "Damn the boosters and the sports media," and let the kid know who the lead dog in the house is.

He has all the tools to be a great qb. My concern is he throws his body around recklessly at times. That needs to be fixed

All the "great" QBs I've seen in the NFL had the intelligence to know when to temper their egos with their skill sets.

And I'm not sure Manziel has the most integral tool necessary to be a "great" NFL QB: the humility to admit to himself (and tacitly, to his teammates) the things he cannot do.

Humility is what makes true heroes.

Subzero717

Reaction score
rottweiler":2hz7emn4 said:
CALIHAWK1":2hz7emn4 said:
DTexHawk":2hz7emn4 said:
rottweiler":2hz7emn4 said:
kearly said:

Though I'm new here, I get a tingly, totally unfunny feeling that you probably feel that way quite a lot.

But for what it's worth, I feel the same way when I watch Johnny Manziel play football.

If you have a tingly or unfunny feeling you should call a Dr. As far as being trolled, not really. There is a lot of trolling but, that comes with the team being successful. 9er fans, 9er fans dressed as Hawk fans, kids and people with nothing better to do than say something outlandish and watch the former work themselves into a tizzy. Its part of the package. As for you I'm not to concerned. I can see a timeout coming soon for you if not an all out ban.

OP
OP
rottweiler

rottweiler

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":zz2zjecb said:
If you have a tingly or unfunny feeling you should call a Dr. As far as being trolled, not really. There is a lot of trolling but, that comes with the team being successful. 9er fans, 9er fans dressed as Hawk fans, kids and people with nothing better to do than say something outlandish and watch the former work themselves into a tizzy. Its part of the package. As for you I'm not to concerned. I can see a timeout coming soon for you if not an all out ban.

Yet you're the one who's actively, pubescently trolling every post I make.

What does that say about you, smart guy?