CB a need for Seahawks in draft ?

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Thurmond and Browner getting suspended for substance abuse in the middle of a possible super bowl run is beyond stupid and shows they are not in the mindset of team first. Browner is gone for sure and i think Thurmond should be to if you can't be trusted when your 10-1 then you can't be trusted at all so I would'nt be suprised if they take one or two CB's in next years draft.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
They always seem to draft a couple. Pete is a DB coach at heart and I see it continuing. I think both guys are gone next year. I really doubt Allen will let them get signed again after the Jailblazers

Natethegreat

Reaction score
With Tharold Simon basically taking a redshirt I'm not so sure they will. If they have someone they really like waiting for them(sorta like Christine) I'm sure they would but I doubt they will see it as a need.

chris98251

Reaction score
Snead and Simon I think are basically the next men up here, I could see Snead taking the physical CB spot and Simon working up from the slot or some mix of that, Snead could also be groomed for Jeron Johnsons spot or Maragos. But agreed they will draft CB's or Safetys as a matter of keeping the pressure on and looking for a diamond in the rough also.

kf3339

Reaction score
They will take at least one more DB, but I doubt it will be in the first few rounds. It will more be like the 4th to 6th rounds where they will try to find another gem.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It's always a need for us. I can't say how early we would take one. Even if I were to concede that it is a high priority need, I don't see prospects that just pop off tape that they would go after. There are some prospects that look better than others, but not exactly impact guys coming out of the gate. I expect they'll find a couple guys they think will develop well once in an NFL camp. But that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be one of the R2/R3 type guys.

Won't rule it out, but it's not likely. We will get one, but I expect it'll be day 3. Someone most of us aren't following.

SDHawk

Reaction score
FS/CB - Quandre Diggs
CB/SS - Antone Exum
CB - Stanley Jean Baptiste

bigbrod81

Reaction score
Natethegreat":q7nt9uqm said:
With Tharold Simon basically taking a redshirt I'm not so sure they will. If they have someone they really like waiting for them(sorta like Christine) I'm sure they would but I doubt they will see it as a need.

If I were a Seahawk fan, I would be cautiously optimistic with the possible development of Tharold Simon. There's no doubt the physical gifts are there with Simon but for some reason, he never turned the corner at LSU into a dominating corner.

There are definitely maturity & work ethic issues concerning Tharold. He along with Spencer Ware & Tyrann Mathieu were suspended one game against Auburn in 2011 for failing a drug test for synthetic marijuana. I'm pretty sure most Seahawk fans are aware of his arrest in Eunice, La for refusing a police officers request to turn the music coming from his vehicle during a predraft party at grandmother's house as well as his comments to the cop about coming back later to buy the town of Eunice. 2012 should have been his year shine with Morris Claiborne declaring & Tyrann Mathieu being booted off the team. Along with Eric Reid, those were the only two upperclassmen in LSU's secondary. Simon was solid especially in run support but he just didn't possess the ability to make game changing plays.

There was also this photo from outside of LSU's strength & conditioning coach Tommy Moffit's office last season.

LSU-Offices.png

This was obviously an in house tactic used to motivate players who may have been late or missed film session or workout sessions that wasn't supposed to get out to the public but in this day & age of camera phones, nothing is private. If you look closely at the photo, you can tell that the list of names can be changed at anytime but the fact of the matter that Simon's name is on this list along with those other incidents does show a tendency of immaturity on Simon's part.

I really hope Simon grows up & becomes a solid corner for you guys. I would hate to see a player with his potential allow it to go to waste.

SDHawk

Reaction score
bigbrod81":2kj8g8r7 said:
Natethegreat":2kj8g8r7 said:

If I were a Seahawk fan, I would be cautiously optimistic with the possible development of Tharold Simon. There's no doubt the physical gifts are there with Simon but for some reason, he never turned the corner at LSU into a dominating corner.

There are definitely maturity & work ethic issues concerning Tharold. He along with Spencer Ware & Tyrann Mathieu were suspended one game against Auburn in 2011 for failing a drug test for synthetic marijuana. I'm pretty sure most Seahawk fans are aware of his arrest in Eunice, La for refusing a police officers request to turn the music coming from his vehicle during a predraft party at grandmother's house as well as his comments to the cop about coming back later to buy the town of Eunice. 2012 should have been his year shine with Morris Claiborne declaring & Tyrann Mathieu being booted off the team. Along with Eric Reid, those were the only two upperclassmen in LSU's secondary. Simon was solid especially in run support but he just didn't possess the ability to make game changing plays.

There was also this photo from outside of LSU's strength & conditioning coach Tommy Moffit's office last season.

LSU-Offices.png

This was obviously an in house tactic used to motivate players who may have been late or missed film session or workout sessions that wasn't supposed to get out to the public but in this day & age of camera phones, nothing is private. If you look closely at the photo, you can tell that the list of names can be changed at anytime but the fact of the matter that Simon's name is on this list along with those other incidents does show a tendency of immaturity on Simon's part.

I really hope Simon grows up & becomes a solid corner for you guys. I would hate to see a player with his potential allow it to go to waste.

Saw that poster a while ago. Where is Sam Montgomery now?

bigbrod81

Reaction score
SDHawk":l5rwlzin said:
bigbrod81":l5rwlzin said:
Natethegreat":l5rwlzin said:

LSU-Offices.png

Saw that poster a while ago. Where is Sam Montgomery now?

He's currently a free agent. He's another player with tremendous talent but he lacks maturity & has shown to have work ethic issues. Montgomery basically did himself in with the Texans when he showed up at training camp heavy & out of shape. It was just a matter of time before the Texans found a good reason to part ways with him.

I hope he bounces back but he has to grow up & show a team that he's worth taking a chance on. After a subpar junior season, it would have been in his best interest to return for his senior year. It's obvious that he received some horrible advice when it came to entering the draft or staying in school because his draft stock plummeted during the 2012 campaign. Sam's comments at the combine about taking plays off in college didn't help his cause either.

Montgomery is actually from South Carolina so tracking any type of progress or lack there of isn't easy. Hopefully he returns to LSU to workout in the offseason like many former players do & gets in shape to get picked up by a team for the 2014 season but Sonic Sam has to grow up first.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
chris98251":204uyzk3 said:
Snead and Simon I think are basically the next men up here, I could see Snead taking the physical CB spot and Simon working up from the slot or some mix of that, Snead could also be groomed for Jeron Johnsons spot or Maragos. But agreed they will draft CB's or Safetys as a matter of keeping the pressure on and looking for a diamond in the rough also.

It's Shead. I do agree with your idea of how they may use him. I had wanted him to be Earl's backup going forward, but if he can step up and play the same role Browner did while having better speed and at least being decent in coverage (because Browner was nothing more than average in coverage. His size helped him a lot and his physicality threw off timing). I have a strong feeling that he can do it. Cornerback shouldn't be a high priority in the draft, but with that said and has been stated already, if a talented guy is available and there's no one better at other positions, pull the trigger. I've liked Justin Gilbert for a while now and he hasn't let me down this season. Not sure he'd be available by our pick, but I think he could do well in the nickel, but he'll also be picked in the 1st-2nd range most likely and you can find a nickel corner later on. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (probably off the board), Bradley Roby (I know he's had a bad year), Ricardo Allen, Quandre Diggs, etc. could all be possible players the Hawks would look at. I also think we take a late round flier on a project. One guy who I've wondered about is L'Damian Washington, WR from Missouri. He's built just like Sidney Rice, but seems to have pretty damn good speed and hands. With him being projected in the late rounds, it'd be worth it in my mind to see if he has the smarts, athletic ability & attitude to make the switch and compete with the Legion of Boom.

cover-2

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":c3thc48d said:
It's always a need for us. I can't say how early we would take one. Even if I were to concede that it is a high priority need, I don't see prospects that just pop off tape that they would go after. There are some prospects that look better than others, but not exactly impact guys coming out of the gate. I expect they'll find a couple guys they think will develop well once in an NFL camp. But that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be one of the R2/R3 type guys.

Won't rule it out, but it's not likely. We will get one, but I expect it'll be day 3. Someone most of us aren't following.

Okay, here is your guy that most of us aren't following, including me...Lindenwood University (CB) Pierre Desir 6-2 206 lbs. Desir had 9 interceptions last year and so far this year he has 4 interceptions with 8 PBU's. Looking at a few of his highlight clips (link to his highlights are on the link below) he looks to have good speed, with good closing speed, and he looks fluid/good athlete. Maybe a 3rd - 5th round prospect, nfldraftscout has him as a 3rd round prospect.

link to his highlights (he is wearing #3)
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1302110/pierre-desir

link to his player profile at his schools web site.
http://www.lindenwoodlions.com/roster.a ... h=football

JKent82

Reaction score
No more than a late rounder for a bigger outside corner, but maybe sooner for a nickel back corner. If we don't bring Thurmond back we won't have a corner who can play inside. I imagine they'd prefer a low cost option for that, but who knows.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
bigbrod81":36a42m3e said:
Natethegreat":36a42m3e said:

LSU-Offices.png

Not to change the subject but I'm looking at that list in the post (suspended players) and the Seahawks drafted two off that list - Ware and Simon. The Seahawks sure love malcontents, it still remains to be seen if they can play.