Seahawks mock draft

cover-2

Reaction score
Happy Draftsgiving! This is my first mock draft this season and hope you enjoy or at least get a look at some intriguing players.

1st round: (TE) Austin Seferian-Jenkins 6-6 276 lbs. Washington: ASJ is a polarizing player and I am in the camp that thinks he will be a great TE in the NFL. If he gets his weight down to 266, which was the weight he played at in 2012, that should help his speed and overall game when running routes or with the ball in his hands. Below I provided a highlight video of him, instead of just one particular game tape, so it will remind you what type of player he can be.

[youtube]lPZ5ZDWEADo[/youtube]

2nd round: (WR) Ty Montgomery 6-2 215 lbs. Stanford: Montgomery is only a junior but he has had a great year which may lead him to decide to declare for the draft. He is raw as a WR, doesn't run crisp routes, but is a playmaker with the ball in his hands. He is a stocky guy that is tough to bring down. He can line up outside or play in the slot, possible replacement for Baldwin. He looks to have 4.5 40-yard type speed, while not elite but still good given his body type. Montgomery has shown the ability to make defenders miss tackles in the open field, which also makes him good as a kick returner (2 KR TD's this year).

[youtube]3Ahwrq3x-Us[/youtube][youtube]Oj37AmzkPAk[/youtube]

4th round: (OT/OG) Billy Turner 6-5 314 lbs. North Dakota State: Big, athletic, long arms, plays to the whistle, and has the skill set to move inside to guard. Very good agility and quickness to pull, also good at getting to second level and finding someone to block. Turner plays with a mean streak which will be needed on our o-line with Breno leaving via free agency.

[youtube]jm9_gSO8v6c[/youtube]

5th round (from Raiders): (CB) Pierre Desir 6-2 206 lbs. Lindenwood: Desir is a ball-hawking CB, he had 9 interceptions last year with 18 PBU's. He looks like he has quick feet and shown that he can mirror his WR down field. He may end up being a 2nd - 3rd round prospect come draft day.

This link has a lot of his highlights from this year and last year. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1302110/pierre-desir

Here is one quick youtube highlight of Desir.
[youtube]oPjzovmlZsc[/youtube]

5th round: (DT) Justin Ellis 6-2 357 lbs. Louisiana Tech: Big run stuffing DT that is also suprising quick for his size. Ellis is fairly quick off the line, much more so than the Tennessee (DT) McCullers. Ellis has the natural leverage and strength to get a push up the middle. The big man eats up two offensive lineman without giving up ground. Ellis is an ideal 3-4 nose tackle, but is also a fit at 1-technique for a 4-3 defense. If Mebane is cut after the season then Ellis will be able to compete for the starting 1-tech on our defense.

[youtube]aiImfEwRg3c[/youtube]

6th round: (DE/OLB) Elhadji Ndiaye 6-5 255 lbs. University of Nebraska-Kearney: Ndiaye is a small school prospect that has only one year of starting experience, but he had a break out year and with his athletic ability there is no way he doesn't get drafted. He supposedly ran 4.37 40-yard dash this past summer, which is hard to believe, but if he can run anywhere near that time say like a 4.47 for a DE his size would be phenomenal. Here is my quick thoughts on him going of the video I provided below...He has good initial quickness with great closing speed. He also looks to be a high motor player that doesn't give up on a play. He has good balance to turn the corner and get on a QB. While he is raw and may take a year or two to develop an every down player at the NFL level, he has the upside/potential to be a Pro Bowl player.

[youtube]QFvSMjG6dfU[/youtube]

7th round: (QB) Taylor Martinez 6-0 210 lbs. Nebraska: IMO as a college player he reminds me of Seneca Wallace when he played at Iowa St. Once Wallace got to the NFL he seemed determined to prove himself as a pocket QB instead of utilizing his quickness and speed to pick up yards with his legs. Martinez needs to work on his mechanics but the kid is a gamer and worth taking a flyer on late in the draft. Coach Carroll could probably get the most out of Martinez and make him a very good backup for us. I also think Russell Wilson would be a good mentor for Martinez. If he doesn't develop as a QB then try him as a WR.

[youtube]qhKJbgcVfHA[/youtube]

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I like your drift here. What are your thoughts on that 1st pick in regards to staying or moving back? I would be happy with ASJ but I wonder if they won't try to gather more picks since they won't have nearly as many as they normally do.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":13elx1xl said:
I like your drift here. What are your thoughts on that 1st pick in regards to staying or moving back? I would be happy with ASJ but I wonder if they won't try to gather more picks since they won't have nearly as many as they normally do.

This may be the year that makes the most sense to trade out of the 1st round, considering who's projected to be available when we select. If one of the projected top-20 players fall to us late in the 1st then we should keep our 1st and take that player. If (DT) Ra'shede Hageman, or one of the top WR's or top OT's fell to us, then I'll take quality over quantity. I'm not in the camp that believes we must re-acquire a 3rd round pick. Back in the 2011 draft we re-acquired a 3rd round pick, but back then the Seahawks were devoid of talent. If Schneider wants more draft picks he could always trade out of the 2nd round or 4th round to recoup some more draft picks.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Nice job Cover-2. Except for ASJ, most of the guys are under the radar. Really I can't comment on them because I'm not to familar with any of them. Wow looking at the weight on Justin Ellis, mountain man. Dude is big. I don't know if they will look at DT in this draft, it's a position that looks to be well set because they do have Jesse Williams and Jordan Hill from this year's draft. Instead of Montgomery, what are the possibilities of maybe picking Davante Adams at WR in the second round? Davante is 6'2/212 and is the type of player to pair with Tate on the outside. Especially if they don't bring Rice back.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I'd be real happy with that draft but think we'd have to package our 4 with our 1 to get ASJ. Well worth it, IMO. He will be a better, more dangerous Zach Miller. Mark my words.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3tiizxql said:
Nice job Cover-2. Except for ASJ, most of the guys are under the radar. Really I can't comment on them because I'm not to familar with any of them. Wow looking at the weight on Justin Ellis, mountain man. Dude is big. I don't know if they will look at DT in this draft, it's a position that looks to be well set because they do have Jesse Williams and Jordan Hill from this year's draft. Instead of Montgomery, what are the possibilities of maybe picking Davante Adams at WR in the second round? Davante is 6'2/212 and is the type of player to pair with Tate on the outside. Especially if they don't bring Rice back.

I have kind of written off Jesses Williams because of his injury. My mindset is that he will always be a player struggling with injuiries until he proves otherwise. Its probably not fair, but he IMO needs to prove that his knee will hold up in the NFL and not be a continual problem. So because of that I think DT should be addressed. Also, Mebane isn't getting any younger...J.Hill is still not a proven commodity, Clinton McDonald who was sitting at home watching games a few weeks ago has come in and taken Hill's reps. So yes, today our DT depth is nice, but after the year what will it look like.

As far as Montgomery goes...I was really just trying to get his name out there on Seahawks fans radar. I like his size, but he has not shown to be a good jump ball WR. There are a handful of 2nd and 3rd round WR prospects that are intriguing. Davante Adams is a guy I haven't seen, but I read he is a good jump ball WR and I like his size. But, we may already have a Davante Adams type WR on the roster, with Jermaine Kearse. Kearse has shown to be a good jump ball WR and at 6-1 206 he has similar size to D. Adams. It really depends on each individual fan on what specific talents do you want to add to our WR core.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
HawkWow":1tbh1pva said:
I'd be real happy with that draft but think we'd have to package our 4 with our 1 to get ASJ. Well worth it, IMO. He will be a better, more dangerous Zach Miller. Mark my words.

You may very well be right, but I really think he needs to drop 8-10 pounds to re-gain some of his quickness.

kearly

Reaction score
Appreciate the effort and thought.

I didn't realize that ASJ was heavier than before. He seems like the same guy to me. He was never a burner like Jimmy Graham, I think he's very similar to the TE that Jerramy Stevens should have been. He uses all of his size and is a matchup exploiting nightmare. He's a fantastic possession target especially in the red zone. I roll my eyes when people say he's a 3rd rounder. He has 1st round talent with 1st round production for his career.

I think Montgomery is fool's gold. He's a stiff, straight line runner who probably isn't terribly fast, probably a 4.4 guy. He has very little in the way of receving skills. IMO, he's a day 3 prospect you draft in the hopes that he turns into a good KR or strong sideline deep threat. But Seattle already has Harvin, so we don't need the returner, and we aren't hurting for sideline deep threats either. If I had to draft a WR with that pick, I would much rather gamble on Brandon Coleman. At his worst, he looks like Stephan Williams. At his best, he looks like Megatron. He's risky and will probably flop, but I like the home run swing he presents.

I also don't think Martinez is an NFL player. Not many college QBs successfully transition to another position in the NFL, guys like Boldin and Mike Rob are exceptional. That's something you try in UDFA, IMO. I do think Martinez is a decent athlete, but I don't see how that type of athleticism fits anywhere other than QB.

A couple players I like a ton late: Jordan Lynch (QB, NIU) and Kevin Smith (WR, UW). Lynch is undersized but has great tools and excellent smarts. Smith would probably be a 3rd or 4th rounder had he stayed healthy his whole UW career. He has a mid-round combination of size, speed, hands, and route running, and he will likely go undrafted.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
kearly":2hvisruc said:

I didn't realize that ASJ was heavier than before. He seems like the same guy to me. He was never a burner like Jimmy Graham, I think he's very similar to the TE that Jerramy Stevens should have been. He uses all of his size and is a matchup exploiting nightmare. He's a fantastic possession target especially in the red zone. I roll my eyes when people say he's a 3rd rounder. He has 1st round talent with 1st round production for his career.

I think Montgomery is fool's gold. He's a stiff, straight line runner who probably isn't terribly fast, probably a 4.4 guy. He has very little in the way of receving skills. IMO, he's a day 3 prospect you draft in the hopes that he turns into a good KR or strong sideline deep threat. But Seattle already has Harvin, so we don't need the returner, and we aren't hurting for sideline deep threats either. If I had to draft a WR with that pick, I would much rather gamble on Brandon Coleman. At his worst, he looks like Stephan Williams. At his best, he looks like Megatron. He's risky and will probably flop, but I like the home run swing he presents.

I also don't think Martinez is an NFL player. Not many college QBs successfully transition to another position in the NFL, guys like Boldin and Mike Rob are exceptional. That's something you try in UDFA, IMO. I do think Martinez is a decent athlete, but I don't see how that type of athleticism fits anywhere other than QB.

A couple players I like a ton late: Jordan Lynch (QB, NIU) and Kevin Smith (WR, UW). Lynch is undersized but has great tools and excellent smarts. Smith would probably be a 3rd or 4th rounder had he stayed healthy his whole UW career. He has a mid-round combination of size, speed, hands, and route running, and he will likely go undrafted.

Great points Kearly. Jordan Lynch is intriguing. I haven't seen much of his games but when I see his stats, it seems he's more of a runner than passer. I believe he had 300 yards rushing and 70 yards passing this past week. Is he a NFL QB? I don't see him as a RW type player but then again not many are.

HawkWow

Reaction score
cover-2":1s5ajvd3 said:
HawkWow":1s5ajvd3 said:

You may very well be right, but I really think he needs to drop 8-10 pounds to re-gain some of his quickness.

I think it depends on the scheme he's drafted into. Some feel ASJ has lost a step and missing camp was his undoing in terms of production this year. Missing time never helps, but I think this year may have been the best thing to ever happen to ASJ. He is much closer to being what the NFL would describe as a complete TE.

Should he be drafted more as receiving TE, and not expected to block a ton, @ 265 lbs, he will have no problem dropping 10-15 lbs. Won't take a month to do so.

I can only hope those that matter have devalued ASJ. But I sincerely doubt it. Unsure who is saying he will drop to the 3rd, but they are out of their frikin' minds. I doubt he will even drop to the bottom 3rd of the first round. I really feel like he is a piece too good to pass on, especially with Zach's salary.

Look at the picks we just sorta' tossed around this past draft. I don't have Johnson's value chart on hand, but adding a 4th to move up for ASJ would be a pick well spent, IMO.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
kearly":2y6se7qh said:

I like your fool's gold remark on Montgomery. :D

Montgomery is a player who caught my eye early in the season and who I have gone back and forth on him as a prospect. I know he isn't going to be to everyone's liking. I personally like is combinatioin of size, stocky build which enables him to bounce off would be tacklers, and speed. I don't want Harvin as our everyday KR because I don't want him to get hurt, Montgomery could fill that role. Yeah it's ok for Harvin to do it every once in a while when I team needs a spark.

I loved Coleman last year, not so much this year . I agree that he is a boom-or-bust prospect and I would be okay with using a late 2nd round pick on him. But if we are talking big WR's I would much rather draft Florida ST (WR) Kelvin Benjamin.

I have seen some of Jordan Lynch last year & this year. I was surprised to see that he is considered a 7th round/ undrafted rookie free agent. If Lynch is there in the 6th round then I would hate to pass up on him. I would also add Cincinnati (QB) Brendon Kay is another good late round QB.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
HawkWow":21z5w7ke said:
cover-2":21z5w7ke said:
HawkWow":21z5w7ke said:

I think it depends on the scheme he's drafted into. Some feel ASJ has lost a step and missing camp was his undoing in terms of production this year. Missing time never helps, but I think this year may have been the best thing to ever happen to ASJ. He is much closer to being what the NFL would describe as a complete TE.

Should he be drafted more as receiving TE, and not expected to block a ton, @ 265 lbs, he will have no problem dropping 10-15 lbs. Won't take a month to do so.

I can only hope those that matter have devalued ASJ. But I sincerely doubt it. Unsure who is saying he will drop to the 3rd, but they are out of their frikin' minds. I doubt he will even drop to the bottom 3rd of the first round. I really feel like he is a piece too good to pass on, especially with Zach's salary.

Look at the picks we just sorta' tossed around this past draft. I don't have Johnson's value chart on hand, but adding a 4th to move up for ASJ would be a pick well spent, IMO.

With more experience blocking this year, ASJ will be fine as a in-line TE at 265 lbs. It looked like he had put on bad weight going into this season, it didn't looked like he had put on 10 lbs of muscle. I do agree he could easily get down to 265 lbs.

If we have the 32nd pick in the 1st round, then trading our 1st & 4th round picks would only get us up to the 29th overall pick.

Here is a link to the trade value chart if you want to figure out what it would take to trade up to the range you think ASJ will get selected. http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

HawkWow

Reaction score
Awww damn. But thanks for the link and value chart. I think it's safe to say we won't be drafting ASJ with other needs (somewhat) pressing. I've been torn the last few weeks. Part of me wanted ASJ to shine (so we could win), the other part wanted him to not be targeted, hopefully helping him fall to the Hawks. Let's hope Sark pulls a Harbaugh and starts badmouthing ASJ to the league. Of course, chances of that happening are about as good as us winning the natty this year.

kigenzun

Reaction score
You forgot to put Kelvin Benjamin, WR, FSU on this list... what gives?