Ducks fans remind me of Seahawks fans

kearly

Reaction score
UW, not so much. Watching the Apple Cup, the announcers talked about the booth vibrating, but it didn't seem too loud on TV and you didn't see obvious evidence of the noise impacting WSU's offense.

Anyway, I'm sure there is a lot of crossover between UW and Seahawks, obviously, but at the actual Huskies games the fans are a different breed. They seem to be mostly college kids who are there to have a good time.

By contrast, Ducks games seem to have an "older" feel in the crowd and those fans are deadly serious. They are also quite frequently intense, obnoxious a-holes away from games (anecdotal), and you get that same Seahawk fan sense of insecurity with Ducks fans, as if their team, no matter how good, is never respected enough. I like that that about them.

And when the Beavs had the ball with 28 seconds to go, that Oregon crowd was losing their minds. The intensity was 12thman-esque for sure. UW's home crowd just isn't on that level.

Anyway, it definitely feels like the "spirit" of the 12thman lives on more at Oregon than Washington. My theory is that like Seahawks fans, Oregon fans have had success thrust on them in recent years after being lovable losers for a long time prior to that. With a lot of UW fans, we have a pretty good history to fall back on and are a bit more relaxed.

Anyway, just my two pennies. Looking forward to getting roasted by Ducks fans and disowned by Huskies fans.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I dunno... I went to the Oregon vs Utah game a few weeks ago and was bored out of my mind from the atmosphere. Maybe that's just because i'm spoiled from being a Seahawks season ticket holder for 15 years. I can't speak for UW games but at least that one Ducks game I went too was nothing like a Seahawks game experience.

I do agree with you about having success thrust on Seahawks and Ducks fans though. Its kinda like people with new money, as opposed to old historical riches. A lot of the newer Duck fans have never known failure so there's a lot of unrest in the fan base right now. Also a lot of "older fans" vs "newer fans" tension. Season ticket holders bitch about the student section all the time for not having enough passion. Older fans know the struggles the program has been through and appreciate where we are now, newer fans take it for granted and think its a tragedy if we don't win every single game. Its an interesting dynamic.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
I commented while we were watching that one thing I didn't like about the new stadium was that they stabilized the camera nests on the second level and you no longer got to "see" the noise on TV via shaky camera shots. I didn't go to any home games this year, so I can't comment on the new stadium, but I've been to plenty in the old stadium that were loud enough to make my eyes hurt. Today I'm pretty sure WSU had at least one delay of game penalty that was the direct result of crowd noise, but I wasn't necessarily focused on it during the game so I couldn't comment beyond that. TV crews have also done a good job of filtering down the crowd noise at C-Link this year, so I don't put too much stock in how crowd noise comes through on TV. Just my 2 cents; not disowned.

chris98251

Reaction score
The updated the broadcast booth at Husky Stadium also, they used to be hanging out in the cold with the fans, I think it's a actual booth now that can filter noise better.

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
The stadium still gets rocking. It's loud as hell when it's full. Problem is, it's not full for the entire game. Even against WSU of all teams damn near half the stadium was in The Zone for the majority of the third quarter (figures that's when we decided to go off). That is what pisses me off more than anything about the fanbase. Whether it's leaving to go back to tailgating or hanging out sipping wine in The Zone for halftime/second half, it seems like most fans, especially those in the lower bowl, see Husky games as a social event. I don't understand that mindset at all. I'd be LIVID if I was missing plays while in The Zone, I mean shit I get mad when I miss plays getting food and there's a TV right there.

Seems like that's the general direction Husky football is taking... Good enough to get people interested, too casual to be a true contender. And it makes me furious.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ChrisB Bacon":3os6len9 said:
The stadium still gets rocking. It's loud as hell when it's full. Problem is, it's not full for the entire game. Even against WSU of all teams damn near half the stadium was in The Zone for the majority of the third quarter (figures that's when we decided to go off). That is what pisses me off more than anything about the fanbase. Whether it's leaving to go back to tailgating or hanging out sipping wine in The Zone for halftime/second half, it seems like most fans, especially those in the lower bowl, see Husky games as a social event. I don't understand that mindset at all. I'd be LIVID if I was missing plays while in The Zone, I mean shit I get mad when I miss plays getting food and there's a TV right there.

Seems like that's the general direction Husky football is taking... Good enough to get people interested, too casual to be a true contender. And it makes me furious.

I used to go to Husky games as a kid. Give them something to cheer about and that stadium is one of the better settings for a football game.

I wouldn't say the ADs office is apathetic as you suggest. But they are I imagine still very cautious. One breakthrough could change it all. Very close this season. The Stanford game may have been the one that hurt the most really

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Kearly, completely disagree with you about the demographics of the crowd. I went to three games this year, the crowd is mostly older fans. The youngins that are there, including the students, don't seem all that engaged, as the Apple Cup was the only game where the student section was full. I thought the crowd on Friday was great, very loud, it was the only game I've been to where there was a real sense of being engaged in the fanbase.