Marcus mariotA announces he's not going pro

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":26s042v1 said:
Does he not like money? Dumb move. He's going to Matt Barkley himself.
He likely would have been a top 3 pick based on athleticism and potential, but he's still got a lot to work on. He also just turned 20 so he's pretty darn young for a draft eligible plAyer. Hopefully he gets a nice insurance policy on himself.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":4nwxar91 said:

I disagree. He's terrible against pressure and he's only a redshirt sophomore. The deck is stacked against him if he leaves early. This is the right decision.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Just saw it on Sportscenter. Instantly said to myself...I'll bet JSea is yelling: "Woohoo!!!".

Good for Mariota. Honorable move by a great kid who will benefit immensely with another year (if he remains healthy). The question now is: Can Marcus Mariota save UO from their downward spiral into the abyss?? ; )

cesame

Reaction score
After he destroyed Washington I thought for sure he was gone. That game was a masterpiece.

Then he got hurt. He already handled pressure poorly, and he can be a little inaccurate at times as well. At only the age of 20, there's plenty for him to work on. He's not ready for the NFL.

Grassu is back as well.

HawkWow

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3sjokk9m said:
Smelly McUgly":3sjokk9m said:
He likely would have been a top 3 pick based on athleticism and potential, but he's still got a lot to work on. He also just turned 20 so he's pretty darn young for a draft eligible plAyer. Hopefully he gets a nice insurance policy on himself.

My thoughts exactly. I would never discourage a high pick from turning pro but you don't want a 20 yr old kid, with a few blemishes (not many), being thrown to a team like the Jags. That gets him a payday...but not necessarily another thereafter.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Yeah, athletically he is ready for the NFL, but as a QB.....he still needs some work. His footwork needs some work which if he improves upon that, it will help his other slight problem, accuracy.

drrew

Reaction score
Good for Oregon, and hopefully he really really enjoys this year because his draft stock with more film will take a hit.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
“It is an honor to be a student at the University of Oregon and to have the opportunity to represent our institution on the football field alongside my teammates,” said Mariota on the school's website. “I look forward to earning my degree next year and to the rest of my career at this great University.”

CPHawk

Reaction score
He said he's looking forward to 11 in a row.

kearly

Reaction score
He needed another year pretty badly. The 2013-2014 QB group is fairly stacked as well. Even if he fails to fix his issues next season, he probably won't be battling 3-4 other first round prospects in 2015.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Atradees":3n8kgupd said:
What was his turnover rate? Wasnt it really stellar? Very few picks?

30 passing TD's, 9 rushing TD's and 4 interceptions. He did lose quite a few fumbles though. I think that's one area he needs to work on is being more secure with the ball when getting hit. He seems to fumble a lot more often then he should.

CPHawk

Reaction score
With Mariota back that means UO returns 10 starters on the O, if you count Marshall(6 starts) and Hunt(6 starts). That should bode well for UO, because honestly the end of the year they looked like a young team who didn't know how to bounce back after the L at Stanford. On d UO returns 7, assuming Ifo leaves.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I think this is the right move and don't see him becoming Barkley. He's too good and he'll have an even better year next year with maturity. Possible #1 overall pick in the '15 draft IMO.