First 2014 mock draft of the year

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
First mock draft of the year. Tried to be a bit different.

LINK: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/2014-mock- ... h-december

Sam Bradford has had a tough time in St. Louis. Multiple offensive coordinators. Very little consistency. A dearth of weapons. And his huge pre-CBA contract has severely limited the Rams’ ability to really attack free agency. At the same time, he has one year left on his contract. And because he’s been earning so much these last four seasons — any extension will need to be massive. I don’t see how you can make that commitment. The Rams have the luxury of two picks and could even end up with the #1 choice. They need to consider taking Teddy Bridgewater.

All thoughts welcome.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I had the same thought about the #1 team picking A.J McCarron in the 2nd round when Jacksonville was in that spot.

Right now, given where Jacksonville is picking and Gus Bradley's association with Russell Wilson, I wonder if they don't go with him early. I'm leaning in that direction right now.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how the offseason shapes up in free agency. I think that will be the biggest determinant in what direction the team is heading. I think based on the salary cap issues we will be facing, we are going to need to shore up the WR/OL/DL positions the most. I'd expect one of those 3 spots to be addressed in the 1st Rd or maybe someone like ASJ if he's still there.

aawolf

Reaction score
I don't see the Jags, the Browns, or the Texans passing on a QB with one of the top 5-6 picks. Sorry. I do see the Rams taking a QB though, if they sneak into the top 5 as well. My QB list, in order:
Bridgewater
Manzeil,
Boyd

I do like the idea of Seattle taking a Tackle though.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Please God let ASJ fall to our Hawks.

But I love you Zach Miller. More than any hetero male should ever love another.

kearly

Reaction score
I was one of the very few people who thought Keenum had some promise as an NFL prospect, and even I think Houston would be insane to pass on this QB class. It's not so much that I've judged Keenum a failure, only that his future is hardly set in stone, and by getting a top tier QB prospect, IMO the best "prototypical" prospect of the last ten years not named Andrew Luck, you pretty much ensure yourself a good future at QB. A healthy Houston team is certainly not hurting at pass rush either. Years from now, do you really want people to be saying that you passed on a "can't miss" perennial pro-bowler for Case Keenum? I think "can't miss" is a bullshit idea that I don't believe in, but people that steer opinion in the media will see it differently.

That #2 draft pick makes the RG3 trade a terrible one for Washington. They could have, at worst, Johnny Manziel with that pick. Dead serious- I would take Manziel over RG3 straight up. Or to put it another way, if Washington offered RG3 to the Rams for their own #2 pick back, I'm not sure the Rams would take that deal. Then of course you have the mountain of picks that the Redskins handed over in the previous two drafts already.

That said, I have a hunch that Snead screws this up and trades down. His team still needs a massive talent infusion on offense, particularly WR, and this is a great year to target WR in the mid-to-late 1st. Some QB desperate teams in that mid-1st range will definitely make it worth his while. Though even with a good deal, and even with a good WR pick, he'd still be making the lesser move. Bradford is dooming that franchise.

I think Sankey is a hell of a RB. He's got some similarities to Giovanni Bernard and Doug Martin, who were drafted in the late 1st to early 2nd range. Both Martin and Bernard contributed immediately for their teams with good/great rookie seasons. I don't think it's a stretch at all to put him in the late first, but my gut feel says he goes mid-2nd.

Unless Dalton pulls an Eli Manning and shows dramatic development out of nowhere in his 4th season, it seems pretty likely that what you see is what you get with him. That said, as a QB with close to league average passing numbers on a team with a great defense and a talented RB they are under-utilizing, a team that is 8-4 with a solid shot at a #2 seed in the AFC, it seems pretty unlikely they would take a QB in round 1 to me. Even though personally, I would take Manziel over Dalton in a heartbeat.

This is the least excited I have ever been for an NFL draft. And it's all your fault Seahawks for being too awesome. Seattle could draft Marquise Lee at #32 and I wouldn't even be shocked to see him as a healthy inactive next year.

kearly

Reaction score
An interesting thought.

If the season ended right now, and Pete gave his annual postseason presser where he always tells us with honesty the areas of the team he will improve this offseason, which areas do you think he names?

I'm kind of drawing a blank. The OL has looked darn good when healthy. He wouldn't seriously lead off with "OL depth" would he?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Unsure we will get that same honesty this year. I think our biggest needs have yet to be decided and will depend on players willingness, or unwillingness, to restructure.

IE:

If Tate is going to play hardball ...WR may be more than a need.

We can't continue to pay Miller the money he's getting now and nobody in our current group of TEs can replace him, IMO.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
kearly":1j0vb9sv said:
An interesting thought.

If the season ended right now, and Pete gave his annual postseason presser where he always tells us with honesty the areas of the team he will improve this offseason, which areas do you think he names?

I'm kind of drawing a blank. The OL has looked darn good when healthy. He wouldn't seriously lead off with "OL depth" would he?

I think next year it's going to be the same as last year. We're going to have some losses along the DL. Bennett is a FA. If they want to resign him they're going to have to let someone else go. I hate to say it but I think they might have to cut Clem unless he's willing to take a payout. Bryant might be gone too despite his awesome year. McDonald and McDaniel are also FA I do believe.

I think WR will be another area as well. Tate is a FA and Baldwin is a RFA. Rice will be restructured or cut as well.

OL could be too with Breno and McQ both FA and I think LJP is too??

I think those are going to be our biggest needs this offseason.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Clowney at #1 overall is a cinch in my opinion, no matter who selects.

Manziel is way too low. After workouts and interviews the guy will go in the top 10 and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top 5. It's a copy cat league and when Seattle/Wilson win the Super Bowl this year Manziel's stock will soar. He's not Wilson but he has the same talent for extending plays, ultra-competitiveness, and leadership ability. I would take him before Bridgewater.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":3odtwrhr said:
An interesting thought.

For me, it's WR. Getting a 6'3+ guy (because it looks one of them such as Allen Robinson is going to fall) in the draft complement our current group is pretty high importance. I don't expect to retain both Tate AND Baldwin (as much as I'd like), and even if we did, I don't think you could go wrong with drafting Sidney's replacement. Hell, if they did a 1-2 punch of Robinson/Coleman, I'd be pretty happy. And so would Russell.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Clowney and Watt is a downright frightening thought. The Texans can be the Chiefs next year with Clowney + a good QB (though I think Keenum should be that guy)

Subzero717

Reaction score
I'm with you on the Ramd taking a QB. Bradford has had plenty of time and I honestly didn't notice any significant drop off when Clemens came in. Its time they turn the page.

Not a fan of the Hawks pick but, bpa with our roster is fine I guess. I still think we need help at WR and TE.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I'd still want Seattle to add a WR but it doesn't have to be a 1st rounder and I think they'll add an undervalued FA WR at the end of the season anyway.

Manziel to the Bengals would be awesome for them.

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1glo7589 said:
Clowney and Watt is a downright frightening thought. The Texans can be the Chiefs next year with Clowney + a good QB (though I think Keenum should be that guy)

In the Texan's game tonight that just ended... Keenum just got benched at halftime again for Schaub. And this time, he deserved it. Then Schaub gets his team back in the game only to end with the following 3 plays in the final 3 minutes: near pick, actual pick, massive sack. As the clock runs and the game ends after said sack, Schaub has a non-ambiguous FML expression on his face.

Maybe the Texans could pass on QB with their first pick, but they HAVE TO draft a QB somewhere in this draft. This is the deepest QB class I have ever seen, and it's very strong at the top as well. IMO there is no way you stand put with Keenum and Schaub while a QB class like this passes on by.

And deep class or no, if the Texans GM passes on Bridgewater for anyone, even a 10+ sack a year DE, there is a very good chance it will look about as smart as when the Dolphins passed on Matt Ryan so they could get Jake Long and Chad Henne.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
After watching the first half against Cincy last night, Teddy Bridgewater did not look like a future #1 pick.

I understand he had a much better second half, but still. He's not the kind of QB I can pass on Clowney for. I'd rather go Clowney and see who's there at #33.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Rob where do you rate Carr. Obviously I don't see him going to Houston but several mocks have him going round 1. I'm kind of getting the feeling this years corps. of QBs is going to end up like last year on draft day. No one knows.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I think, just from an upside perspective it's a bad idea to pass up Clowney if I was the Texans GM.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":369gar8b said:
Rob where do you rate Carr. Obviously I don't see him going to Houston but several mocks have him going round 1. I'm kind of getting the feeling this years corps. of QBs is going to end up like last year on draft day. No one knows.

I like him quite a lot -- but I wouldn't want to hang my hat on him as an early pick. I'm thinking early second rounder at this stage. But it's early days.