QB's you like in the 2014 draft

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
This, on the surface at least, seems like a potentially deep class at QB. Or it could be like the 2010 draft where a few QB's panned out and the majority didn't. I don't really see much in between here.

Who are your favorite QB's coming into the draft (*cough* kearly, English, snohomie *cough*)? Even if Mariota had declared I would not have been a fan of his..

A few guys I LOVE .. and hope stay away from St. Louis/Arizona

Derek Carr -- I just love everything about this kid. I think he will be a much, much better pro than his brother. Very smart player with a killer arm and deceptive athleticism. And yes, I am concerned the Rams fall in love with him and select him 2nd overall. (Thanks for that Redskins)

Blake Bortles -- To me he reminds me of a poor mans Andrew Luck. Luck was obviously a very pro ready prospect and has been a sensational player, but Bortles has the same build as Luck and like Luck, has a really good arm and despite being a bigger player.. he can scramble, probably a lot better than he's given credit for. Really could soar up boards in the offseason.

A.J. McCarron -- I think if you put A.J. McCarron in a nice situation, he would be a very productive QB. Almost like an Andy Dalton type. He doesn't have the flashy arm or athleticism of Carr and Bortles but he's no slouch either.

David Fales -- Fales was labeled as a possible high-riser in August and he sort of fell of the grid, but I think he can be a hidden gem in the 2nd or 3rd round for someone in need of a QB.

Jordan Lynch -- I'd honestly love to see Seattle take a flyer on him in the late rounds (6-7 round), as I'd be shocked if he rose to a Day 2 pick.. Lynch is just a playmaker and wouldn't be a bad camp guy/practice squad stash .. especially if they lost B.J. Daniels in the offseason.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I still maintain that Manziel is a guy to consider. He is an electric playmaker. If he drops, it'll be because of non football reasons.

His skill set is similar to Wilson's. Although he's not nearly the complete QB that Russell is, he flashes brilliance regularly at his current level. He is a marquee talent, and if he could smooth both his non football issues as well as develop behind a QB like Wilson -- he is a guy a team could market in trade pretty easily.

Immediately, this team may have a void at backup QB next year. He could be another case not unlike Michael was last year. A talent that drops into your lap that you don't immediately require. Except Manziel is a potential franchise QB with some work and the right environment. I think we can provide the latter.

I wouldn't discount the possibility that a team may execute a day 2 trade if they were hoping to get him early in day 2. And there is the bonus that if we take him for trade, we control where he ends up (i.e. not in our division).

In a worst case scenario where most, if not all of the prospects we hoped would fall to us are gone, I can see where Manziel could result in a better trade return than us simply trading down in the draft. Not immediate returns. But in future returns. While immediately providing value as a backup QB whose skills can approximate Wilson in terms of style.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't be interested in any with the #1 pick, even in Houston's position.

I like Carr. Great intangibles, very intelligent player. Hard to break him down in the Fresno offense which is prolific and very spread. If he gets time he could be very good. I'd love to see him backing up a top ageing pro for a 2-3 years and then getting into it.

McCarron would be a great option for Houston. That would be a great fit. I like A.J. -- a better version of Andy Dalton. Similar traits, both very emotional characters and that's something you have to live with.

If I'm St. Louis I'd take serious consideration in drafting Jake Matthews & Mike Evans in round one and then trading back into round one for Manziel. They need a left tackle. They need a big receiver (not a fan of Quick) and I just have a feeling that situation with Jeff Fisher would be good for Manziel/

Bortles I've watched twice and so far so good. I need to watch more.

I think Bridgewater is pretty average but could be a solid starter.

Not sold on the rest and wasn't sold on Mariota either.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3i52iduf said:
I wouldn't be interested in any with the #1 pick, even in Houston's position.

I like Carr. Great intangibles, very intelligent player. Hard to break him down in the Fresno offense which is prolific and very spread. If he gets time he could be very good. I'd love to see him backing up a top ageing pro for a 2-3 years and then getting into it.

McCarron would be a great option for Houston. That would be a great fit. I like A.J. -- a better version of Andy Dalton. Similar traits, both very emotional characters and that's something you have to live with.

If I'm St. Louis I'd take serious consideration in drafting Jake Matthews & Mike Evans in round one and then trading back into round one for Manziel. They need a left tackle. They need a big receiver (not a fan of Quick) and I just have a feeling that situation with Jeff Fisher would be good for Manziel/

Bortles I've watched twice and so far so good. I need to watch more.

I think Bridgewater is pretty average but could be a solid starter.

Not sold on the rest and wasn't sold on Mariota either.

I agree on Houston. I really think they should take Clowney or Barr (depending on who they hire as HC) and address QB in Round 2, or maybe even jump into the Cutler sweepstakes if their cap allows (I'm not sure it does).

Agree with your Rams take as well - and they may very well keep Bradford and take a QB in the mid rounds instead.