Fight-Hunger Bowl: Tired of these bowl match-ups

fenderbender123

Reaction score
How many times has UW played BYU in my lifetime? Too many....seriously why do the Huskies never get matched up against an east-coast team? It's always some mid-west, texas, or western school...basically some school that UW plays OOC on occasioin....what's so bad about having teams play other teams that they haven't played in decades? or ever? ...the last time they played an eastern school was Florida in 1989 in a bowl game...that's just stupid.

Wow..BYU...gee I've never seen UW play them before....

Crabhawk

Reaction score
Eight times total, I believe. I'm looking forward to UW playing like they worthy of being selected to a better bowl. Until then, I can't complain about the match up.

OP
OP
fenderbender123

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Crabhawk":1qnzy086 said:
Eight times total, I believe. I'm looking forward to UW playing like they worthy of being selected to a better bowl. Until then, I can't complain about the match up.

The match-up is actually pretty good if you review both of their records. I'm just tired of seeing us play another OOC team that we've already played so many times.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Bowl games are regional affairs, the matchups are determined by the individual bowl committees who want teams that will bring in the most consitent travelling fan bases. Kevin Gemmell had an interesting take on this in his latest mailbag entry in the Pac 12 blog at ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... r-petersen

Kevin Gemmell":1n9dljhq said:
Bowl games aren’t designed to provide the best possible matchup. They are designed to be the best possible matchup while also bringing in money to the city that hosts them. You’ll notice all of the Pac-12’s contracts are regionally based -- with the Valero Alamo and Hyundai Sun bowls being the longest trek. And even that isn’t too far of a hike.

It’s dollars. They want as many people to come to their city for as long as possible, stay in hotels, eat at restaurants, go to amusement parks and spend money. While you’re in town, maybe take in a football game.

The National University Holiday Bowl probably doesn’t like having to take teams from Los Angeles because fans drive down to San Diego, watch the game and then drive home that night. They want people in hotel rooms for five days with trips to Sea World and the zoo and LegoLand.

How many Washington fans would go to Jacksonville for the Gator Bowl? The first year? It might be filled. But what about the third and fourth years? These Pac-12 SEC matchups would look great on TV. And from my leather chair, I’d love to drink it all in. But the travel (see previous question), specifically the fan support and filling the stadium, simply wouldn’t be there on an annual basis.

rottweiler

Reaction score
I love these seemingly umpteen-hundred corny bowl game names.

I can't wait to see the Miracle-Gro Violated by Wild Cacti With a Vicious Grudge Bowl, myself.

That, and the Discovery Channel Fight Deep-Sea Sexual Assaults by Sperm Whales Bowl.