Hawks need a BIG/UGLY draft

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
the seahawks need to free up some money to extend some key players in the offseason. Players that i think get the axe for financial reasons are Thurmond, Browner,Mebane,Rice, Giacomini, McQuistan,T-jack and maybe McDaniel. Players i think the Hawks re-sign are Tate,Baldwin,Bennett,Hauschka, Mcdonald and Schofield. Thats alot of players possibly gone but most of the turnover is going to be in the trenches. I would like to see the seahawks invest high picks restock with young talent on both O-line/D-line. this is how i would like to see rds 1-5 in 2014 nfl draft go for the seahawks.

1. top guard (no rotation we need a stud next to Okung)
2. DT
3. WR
4. OT (don't have enough faith in Bailey and need depth)
5. TE (have faith in Miller n Willson just need depth)

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Unfortunately finding a 'stud' guard is just as difficult as saying go out and find a franchise QB or a shut down corner. Not easy to do. Certainly now easier just because of the position. And the two stud guards last year both went in the top ten.

I've spent a bit of time looking at the guards in the 2014 class. There isn't one I'd draft in round one to be fair. That's only my take, but not that excited about what's out there.

getnasty

Reaction score
I don't see Mebane going anywhere, now Clem and Big Red i could see added to that list of possible cuts. I'm with you on the OL i would like to see them draft a couple of guys. I'm not as worried about the DL with Scruggs, Williams, and Hill all coming back, it's like 3 extra draft picks right there. Number one priority has got to be resigning Bennett.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":yws7w4mo said:
Unfortunately finding a 'stud' guard is just as difficult as saying go out and find a franchise QB or a shut down corner. Not easy to do. Certainly now easier just because of the position. And the two stud guards last year both went in the top ten.

I've spent a bit of time looking at the guards in the 2014 class. There isn't one I'd draft in round one to be fair. That's only my take, but not that excited about what's out there.

There is no sure thing in the draft but I believe in Cable's blocking scheme and I think if they give him a first round talent at LG it would solidify the O-line. Bailey played well enough to give him another shot at Tackle but the McQuistan/Carpenter experiment is putting russell wilson in danger especially against St. Louis.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":23xb4yfj said:

I would settle for drafting one that actually played the position in college.

skater18000

Reaction score
Seanhawk":13ane0xx said:
theENGLISHseahawk":13ane0xx said:

I would settle for drafting one that actually played the position in college.

LOL, found this funny

CPHawk

Reaction score
We actually need WR. Could you imagine Russ with a stud WR? If we had the beats WR, or Dallas, Denver or the Browns, we would be 14-0 right now. A big WR would cure our red zone issues.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
First of all, i totally agree in the sense that I think each year were going to be seeing big names go and theres going to be major changes next year. Going down the list heres my thoughts on some of this..

-If Tjack is gone i dont think itll be for cap reasons. but i do agree both of those corners could very well be gone next year.

-unless mebanes cap hit is high next season i dont see him going anywhere, especially not to pay doug baldwin. I think pete and company are confident in their ability to find wrs and corners ect, Percy is the exception to their philosophy and had more to do with petes mancrush imo. I do however think they try to retain golden tate as he posses a unique skill set and pete seems to value that with players (see percy harvin).

-Bennett is a must resign imo. Unless he demands ridiculous money of course. I could (and would prefer) see clemons and/or avril gone before bennet signs with another team, no jab at those 2 guys intended.

-Hauschka should be retained. I fully expect them to do their usual throw a bunch at it and see what sticks with the d-line, therefor i dont expect them to try too hard to retain Mcdonald and Schofield although im not saying i expect them to be gone either.

-As much as i like zach miller, if the talent overwhelms the value i could see them picking up some competition for him. I also really hope they draft a 6 3+ WR with one of their first 3 picks. I think we could really use a good Olineman, but suspect the value wont be there where we're picking (last pick in first rd) and they will choose to pass. I could see them going Dline in the first round then, WR/TE,Oline,CB

but i could also guess theyd draft a kicker in the first rd and would be just as correct as i probably am here so who knows lol.

cover-2

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":1s105mve said:
the seahawks need to free up some money to extend some key players in the offseason. Players that i think get the axe for financial reasons are Thurmond, Browner,Mebane,Rice, Giacomini, McQuistan,T-jack and maybe McDaniel. Players i think the Hawks re-sign are Tate,Baldwin,Bennett,Hauschka, Mcdonald and Schofield. Thats alot of players possibly gone but most of the turnover is going to be in the trenches. I would like to see the seahawks invest high picks restock with young talent on both O-line/D-line. this is how i would like to see rds 1-5 in 2014 nfl draft go for the seahawks.

1. top guard (no rotation we need a stud next to Okung)
2. DT
3. WR
4. OT (don't have enough faith in Bailey and need depth)
5. TE (have faith in Miller n Willson just need depth)

1. (OG) La'el Collins 6-5 315 lbs., LSU: He can play OG or OT

2. (DT) Danny Shelton 6-1 325 lbs., Washigton

3. (WR) Jeff Janis 6-3 220 lbs., Saginaw Valley State University: Small school stud with the size and speed we are currently lacking in our WR core. His 2012 stats: 96 receptions, 1635 yards receiving. Janis has been invited to play in the Senior Bowl.
[youtube]Kx3iUkmS8bU[/youtube]

4. (OT) Michael Schofield 6-6 304 lbs., Michigan

5. (TE) Cameron Brate 6-5 245 lbs., Harvard : Brate is more similar to Luke Wilson than Miller.
[youtube]A8PMGyJZpI4[/youtube]

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Fwiw, we don't have a 3rd round pick this year.

It was traded to the Vikings for Harvin.

Brahn

Reaction score
WE DO NOT NEED ANOTHER TE.

McCoy would be the #2 TE right now if he wasn't on the IR.

Next year we will have

Miller
McCoy
Willson

I think we are set at TE unless we let Miller go.

Wee-Bey

Reaction score
Brahn":1nh6n8ec said:

Next year we will have

Miller
McCoy
Willson

Miller isn't worth his skill set/production. He's likely a cap casualty, making TE a more immediate need than OL. WR too, for that matter.

I just don't see the need for a 1st round OL, given the depth of talent in later rounds.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Wee-Bey":3ncrmcmn said:
Miller isn't worth his skill set/production. He's likely a cap casualty, making TE a more immediate need than OL. WR too, for that matter.

I just don't see the need for a 1st round OL, given the depth of talent in later rounds.

I would disagree strongly. His versatile skill set (blocker or receiver) is very easy to overlook. Guys who can do both effectively are rare, and most often times undervalued because blocking tends to be taken for granted as there aren't statistics that we can produce to compare guys on that.

Secondly, his contract is decreasing substantially in 2014 and 2015. If you're looking at his current 11M salary and presuming it will balloon over the final years, you'd be incorrect. It drops to 7m and 6m in the next two years. The savings after dead money is only about 5M per season.

Normally, for a typical team his skill set is underappreciated. But for our brand of offense, it's actually at a premium. We want a blocker first, who is capable of being a reliable matchup in the passing game. There really aren't many TEs in the league I can say I'd rather have to fill that particular need. Draft wise, ASJ could fill that role well at a substantial savings in salary -- trading draft stock for cap relief. We happen to be in that position. But it's just one possibility. We could just as easily go a different direction.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I'd love to see them beef up the o-line in the draft. I really think it's our weak link. I know we've been dying for a true game-changer #1 wideout but damn I want to see a better o-line and what Wilson could really do behind it. Idk, maybe it can be addressed through free agency and not the draft at all - after all we are in win-now mode.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Given the poor rushing we've seen the last 7 weeks or so, I can see upgrading the O line for different reasons.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Brahn":7buv0676 said:

Next year we will have

Miller
McCoy
Willson

Willson is better than McCoy fwiw.

Latest posts