Austin Seferian-Jenkins declares for the Draft.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Nothing unexpected. But now it's semi-official. He filed his paperwork weeks ago. At that time, Sankey said he was still 50-50.

Gregg Bell ‏@gbellseattle 18m
Austin Seferian-Jenkins tells me he has decided to leave @UW_Football to enter NFL draft as a junior. "I'm ready to prove I'm a 1st rounder"
Retweeted by UW Football

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/huskyfoot ... nfl-draft/

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If he falls far enough would he be a good add to our receiver core? He is a big fast WR/TE hybrid right?

Throwdown

Reaction score
brimsalabim":12b2o5we said:
If he falls far enough would he be a good add to our receiver core? He is a big fast WR/TE hybrid right?

ASJ is a freak, he'd be a great addition to ANYONE'S team. He's that good.

I hope he sucks at the combine so we can get him

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
He's probably one of maybe a couple players I'd expect Seattle to scuttle a trade back deal in order to take.

zifnab32

Reaction score
brimsalabim":iar2hvh6 said:

Prototypical TE size (he's something like 6'6", 270) with WR skills. Pretty good blocker.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I just don't see how we could pass on ASJ if there in our spot. I'd move up to get him if necessary. Miller is one of my favorite players, but the cost savings would be huge and IF we can solidify the line a bit (even though ASJ's blocking has improved this year), I don't think we'd miss a beat with ASJ next year and we would be better with him the year after. Can't wait to see ASJ after being coached up in the NFL.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
projected as a late first round early 2nd correct?

HawkWow

Reaction score
That's what the experts are saying, Chukar. I hope they're right. It would be nice to get production out of our first pick. It's been a while, and with RW's tendency to sometimes overthrow receivers, ASJ is a tough guy to overthrow. I think he has the body control and hands of today's downfield-type TEs but can hold is own in terms of blocking. Watching ASJ as closely as anyone, I just get the feeling we've not seen close to what he's capable of.

Last night one of the announcers commented on how "down his numbers were this year". Obviously NFL scouts are not as clueless as mid-level bowl game announcers, but if ASJ is going to take a hit because of his (expected) drop off in a new offense, I'm all for it and positive he will be a huge contributor for the Hawks.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I haven't seen him play. Is he quick enough to get that seperation right off the snap that we have been missing? I'm thinking we need some one to help negate the blitz and spy packages we have been facing.

chris98251

Reaction score
He has decent speed, my concern with very tall TE is that they have a tendency to have injuries to legs and ankles from being tackled low. His biggest attribute is his height and hands for a big man, he also is not what I would call a physical guy, he has learned t stick his head in and block but the nasty side of a blocker I have yet to see, you know that pleasure of knocking someone on their ass as much as catching a first down type mentality. Or finishing a run after a catch by lowering a shoulder into guy and initiating the contact and possibly breaking a tackle.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
I've seen ASJ projected from mid 1st to early 2nd. He definitely fits a Seahawks need in terms of a big bodied target and a good run blocker, while allowing a cap savings, I think about $7m next year, to drop Miller

Uffda

Reaction score
Don't think that he'll get by the Patriots, if he gets that far. Thinking Falcons.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uffda":13r09t98 said:
Don't think that he'll get by the Patriots, if he gets that far. Thinking Falcons.
Falcons will take Ebron if they're looking for a TE. Although I don't know if a TE will go top 10 which is where Atlanta will be drafting.

cover-2

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3drrzov0 said:
I haven't seen him play. Is he quick enough to get that seperation right off the snap that we have been missing? I'm thinking we need some one to help negate the blitz and spy packages we have been facing.

No he is not the type of TE that is going to beat you with quickness and speed, which IMO is why his stats were down this year. He is not a good fit for spread offenses that beat you with quick throws. I think he will be a great player in a more traditional offense like ours.

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
He was projected as a 2nd rounder when he declared. We might be able to get him at 32. People always say we reach anyway. :16:

McGruff

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1qu5asu6 said:

I don't think of ASJ as a hybrid like graham or gornkowski. He's a full featured traditional TE who can block and catch. He's everything we hoped Jeremy Stevens would be.

Love to see him sporting lime green accents this fall.