Johnny Manziel may have some flaws

davidonmi

Reaction score
but damn he is a competitor. His passion and competitive drive is unlike something I have ever seen, only comparable to Brady.
His arm, his legs, his intangibles will be the reason he is a superstar at the next level. Maybe I am falling victim to him, but I am praying he doesn't go to STL.
The one thing is he HAS to change his running style, learn how to slide and get out of bounds.

He's the next Favre, just a little shorter and a better runner. He'll throw his picks, he'll make boneheaded plays, but he'll also be one of the best playmakers over the next decade, Favre obviously being a better passer

kearly

Reaction score
I read in SI that when Ryan Leaf weighed in 30 pounds overweight at the 1998 NFL combine, he posed for the scouts in attendance by flexing his muscles. It was a sign that Leaf covered up his work ethic with false bravado.

I just can't see Manziel being that same guy. He strikes me as a guy who works his ass off and HATES losing. In that sense, I think the Brady personality comp comes pretty close.

Brett Favre is a good analogy. I think in some ways Manziel is better. But at the same time, Manziel has some issues that could potentially be mortal weaknesses at the next level. His mobility won't dominate as much at the next level and his arm is "just good enough" in college. Will it still be good enough in the pros the way he takes chances with the ball?

That said, I am praying the Rams stay away from Manziel. If they traded that #2 pick for a ransom (Clowney) and still got Manziel at #13 I'd be devastated. He's got HoFer level intangibles and better tools to work with than Tom Brady. If he goes anywhere after #2 he's a steal.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
He's too short to make it in the NFL. He's no Wilson and Wilson out works just about everybody. Manziel will be to busy having fun.

OP
OP
davidonmi

davidonmi

Reaction score
ivotuk":1rhdsl7q said:
He's good, but I think trying to throw the ball in cold weather would do him in.
his hands are huge so I don't think that would be an issue. His armstrength is spotty, but his accuracy and touch are definitely there

OP
OP
davidonmi

davidonmi

Reaction score
kearly":7fqfvbp7 said:
I read in SI that when Ryan Leaf weighed in 30 pounds overweight at the 1998 NFL combine, he posed for the scouts in attendance by flexing his muscles. It was a sign that Leaf covered up his work ethic with false bravado.

I just can't see Manziel being that same guy. He strikes me as a guy who works his ass off and HATES losing. In that sense, I think the Brady personality comp comes pretty close.

Brett Favre is a good analogy. I think in some ways Manziel is better. But at the same time, Manziel has some issues that could potentially be mortal weaknesses at the next level. His mobility won't dominate as much at the next level and his arm is "just good enough" in college. Will it still be good enough in the pros the way he takes chances with the ball?

That said, I am praying the Rams stay away from Manziel. If they traded that #2 pick for a ransom (Clowney) and still got Manziel at #13 I'd be devastated. He's got HoFer level intangibles and better tools to work with than Tom Brady. If he goes anywhere after #2 he's a steal.
yep, he's not going to be a prototypical cam newton that can make every throw on the field. But his accuracy and touch will allow him to distribute the ball around the field. And he will be able to extend plays using his legs. He will throw interceptions, maybe even lead the league in picks once or twice. But I believe he can make up for that

HawkWow

Reaction score
Much craftier than Griffin, but I think their careers will travel similar paths (injury). I hope tonight's performance forces the Rams to grab him in the 2 spot. He will put butts in seats, entertain and win football games..but the stuff he gets away with now will get him killed at the next level and I doubt he will be making any dramatic changes...he wouldn't be Johnny Football if he did.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Better than Farve? No. He's a little taller Doug Flutie, which isn't a bad thing. Had Doug been 5'11, he would have never had to play in the cfl before getting a real shot at the NFL.

Mark it down though, Manziel is playing on the big stage, but a Qb who is similar and maybe better has been playing out of the limelight in Wyoming. Brett Smith.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
When this guy gets nailed a few times outside the pocket by guys bigger and just as fast..That small body
is going to be out more and more weeks the longer he plays...

Subzero717

Reaction score
IndyHawk":30aac3re said:
When this guy gets nailed a few times outside the pocket by guys bigger and just as fast..That small body

Like Russell?

Russellmania3

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2igdcdej said:
IndyHawk":2igdcdej said:

Like Russell?

Russell has some bulk , Manziel is like a stick and runs looking for contact.

I am glad this thread popped up, I watched the game last night .

It was my first time watching Manziel , I was impressed . Most of his passes were right on the money

He looked to have plenty of arm , and his speed is lights out. Not sure how long he can hold up in the nfl with his small frame though.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Johnny starts every game having to think his team is 3 touchdowns behind, that defense is just that bad. He plays uphill in every game, and just keeps making plays.
And I love his quick release. When he sees it, the ball is just gone.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I think he's the definition of a boom or bust prospect. I just can't see there being any middle ground with him. He's either going to resurrect or destroy a franchise. For the record, I think he's going to boom.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2ylw0qqw said:
IndyHawk":2ylw0qqw said:

Like Russell?
RW has a bigger frame and is smarter and tougher..Sure he could get hurt but JM the way he plays is different..Let me put it this way,if he's playing the Hawks-goes off into one of those runs in a frenzy ,heads out 10 yrds and here's Kam and Earl..What happens??? :thfight7:

Subzero717

Reaction score
IndyHawk":hc7dau2i said:
CALIHAWK1":hc7dau2i said:
IndyHawk":hc7dau2i said:

Like Russell?
RW has a bigger frame and is smarter and tougher..Sure he could get hurt but JM the way he plays is different..Let me put it this way,if he's playing the Hawks-goes off into one of those runs in a frenzy ,heads out 10 yrds and here's Kam and Earl..What happens??? :thfight7:

It could happen to any QB on the move. I doubt his coach is going to be a fan of him being that reckless.

mbtitleist

Reaction score
He's been a great college player but I guess I'm in the minority here. I'd be really happy if the Rams wasted a 1st round pick on Manziel because I just don't see him having sustained success, especially against the defenses in the NFC West.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
whether he succeeds or fails in the NFL or something in between, it's safe to say if he starts 16 games, he will lead the NFL in fumbles by a considerable margin. He's incredibly loose with the football and often exposes himself to big hits despite a small and skinny frame.