Charlie Strong to Texas?

GCrow

Reaction score
Rumors are flying off the handle tonight, but Texas' 24/7 and Rivals are saying it;

Bobby Burton @BobbyBurton247

BREAKING: Horns247 first to report that Texas will hire Louisville coach Charlie Strong.
10:00 PM - 3 Jan 2014

Chip Brown @ChipBrownOB

Louisville coach Charlie Strong will replace Mack Brown as the head coach at Texas, according to a high-ranking UT source.
Pat Forde from Yahoo is denying it FWIW, and Chip Brown has been throwing alotta junk at the wall seems like lately. Anyways be an interesting hire, and curious to see how Strong recruits in Texas. I'm assuming his ties in Florida are pretty good.
If nothing else this Texas opening is an interesting case in journalism/sourcing/speculation

EDIT: SI now saying 5 years/ $5 mill annually http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... ead-coach/

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
ESPN says Strong would accept the job if offered. I'd say UT has to offer it to him if they haven't already since everyone else is turning it down.

OP
OP
GCrow

GCrow

Reaction score
As a Texas fan, say it's a good hire though alot hinges on the offensive staff he brings in. His DC at Louisville Vance Bedford will likely come along as he played for the Longhorns himself (and was apparently got a long look to replace Muschamp) and Strong is a defensive guy himself.

Finding a good, creative OC (Pipe dream.. this Chad Morris of Clemson would be nice) and if he can somehow bring in a well known Texas high school coach for recruiting purposes would be big.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I don't think its a good fit. He's a great coach, but Texas involves a lot more than coaching football. Lots of PR BS.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Well, now how is every other coach in America going to manipulate the media in order to leverage fat extensions from their current schools/pro teams?