Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jordan Matthews is looking very solid in the BBVA Compass Bowl. Has 5 receps, 143 yards receiving, and 2 TDs in the first half. Matthews is 6'3 205 pds. He is projected as a 1-2 round guy in the draft.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
This draft is going to be full of talent at WR. Would be surprised if they don't try to add someone

Throwdown

Reaction score
Jordan Matthew's is a problem. I'm not gonna say beast or anything like that because I don't know enough. But from what I saw in that game I liked. He's well aware of how big he is, he'll lower his shoulder if its all he's got left or he'll juke you.

Couldn't go wrong with him if they picked him up.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Jordan Mathews has back to back seasons with first team All-SEC honors as well as being the first SEC WR with at least 90 catches in back to back seasons. Set school single season records this year in receptions (107 also SEC record) and yards(1,334). This season against SEC opponents Mathews had 74 catches and 904 yards so IMO staying for his senior season and playing 4 years against quality competition has paid off for Mathews.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Haven't seen enough of him, but curious as to why whoever put the highlights together only had games against Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Wake Forest.

Would like to see the same against Bama, GA, LSU, A&M.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Matthews was a steady producer in the last 2 seasons. 15 100 yard games and plenty of catches in all of them. He is remarkably consistent regardless of opposition.

He eclipsed the 100 yard mark against S. Carolina and Missouri this season. Didn't play Ala/LSU. Close to 100 against TA&M and UGA.

Hit the 100 mark against S. Carolina, UGA and FLA last year. Overall, he's been very consistent. What he doesn't appear to do is score a whole lot. But then, he is doing this at Vanderbilt. Not a terrible team, but not a powerhouse either.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Another reason to really like this guy: James Franklin was his head coach at Vanderbilt the last two years. Franklin does a great job of developing college wide receivers and getting them ready for the NFL game.

He was the OC for Kansas State for Jordy Nelson's final two years.
He was the OC for Maryland for Torrey Smith's final two years.

Nelson has turned into a top 12 wide receiver in the league (my opinion) and Smith is probably top 20-25.

I like Matthews more and more and more.

Jville

Reaction score
I like a receiver that tosses the ball to the referee and doesn't suffer from the TO syndrome.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The only thing I see with this guy that I don't like is he goes down almost every time theres contact..

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
My two fav WR's in this draft that will be in our range (i.e. WR's not named Sammy Watkins or Marquis Lee) are Matthews and Davante Adams. Both would be great additions to this team.

justafan

Reaction score
I like the kid.May not have the most talent of the WRs but I bet he reaches his potential with his intelligence and work habits.
Pat Kerwin talked about him on a video on CBS.com, said he was bugging someone at the Senior bowl about film room access and wanting more film to study.
Sounds like a great WR to team with RW.
Talks about him about the 3 min mark.
http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/n ... s-to-watch

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I would be thrilled if we take Matthews. There is a lot to like about his game, and the more I watch him, the more I like him. While I don't expect us to take him, in lieu of a bigger target, I love how he works at his craft. He's not short at 6025 but he's not 6'4" either. I particularly like how he works at his release. His release is sudden and crisp with almost no wasted movement or hesitation. He knows how he's going to attack a CB, and he knows ahead of time what his counter moves are. He's not unlike a late day 3 slot receiver prospect in this years' draft (Alex Amidon BC). Both players look like they are shot out of a cannon at the snap. He is the kind of receiver who I can see succeeding at the X (Split End) receiver. He's got the toolset to excel there. Size, hand fighting skills, quickness, intelligence and explosive release.

I also like how he is gifted at getting open. Obviously it's harder to evaluate that at the college level, but he works at it well and that kind of work ethic can translate at the next level. He just seems to be almost instantly open on the majority of his routes. He's a student of the game and it shows. He has a similar mindset to Russell Wilson in terms of his tireless approach to preparation. This is well documented and has been a consistent trait of his since arriving at Vanderbilt. It appears to be similarly as unbelievably genuine in that regard.

What he doesn't have, is Coleman's ability to take the lid off the defense. In fact, I'd say Coleman has a Kaepernick type of running style. He is a similarly long strider who if he gets off cleanly can really separate on longer routes. And against off coverage, his stride really picks up 8-10 yards off the ball and can close distance and extend clean from corners. That is a unique ability that wasn't featured much in his college tape. Likely due to the poor QB play.

If Coleman is off the board however, and we're still looking at WR -- I like Matthews as a plan B very much. He just looks like a WR who is going to continue to develop and improve through his dedication. His release and route running are both impressive. He also is a ball fighter, which is something I don't see with Coleman. On non vertical routes, I think Matthews will be the superior of the two at the NFL level.

I would not be hesitant to say he is a future #1 receiver. Although I am probably not in the majority of local fans in that respect. He's got similar height and weight to Jerry Rice. Probably will have better speed, as Jerry didn't fare well in his 40 time. His size profile is similar to Josh Gordon/Larry Fitzgerald/Jordy Nelson -- all in the 6'2-6'3 range. The size barrier is really not an absolute for being a #1 WR. Reggie Wayne is a clear #1 wideout at a mere 6'0".

If we're talking position skill set, then I'd put Matthews up there with Sammy Watkins and Abbrederis. These 3 players really show next level skills when it comes to ball fighting, route running and development over time. Watkins has the entire package, whereas Matthews and Abbrederis are missing physical elements (Speed and/or size). With other prospects, you're not going to see that as reliably. Seattle really hasn't established a WR prospect profile as outside of Tate, we've opted for unique/flawed physical prospects in day 3 and only sparingly at that. About the only thing I can really see, is that Seattle values receiver skils. Those are the players that make this team. And I'd say Tate is a perfect reflection of that, because while he was athletic and raw when he came here, the fact is, he was rarely used and 2 years into his career, it wasn't a given that he'd be granted a third year. He didn't get significant playing time until his skills were up to our standard.

Tate clearly intrigued Seattle with his unique YAC skills. But that's usually a gift that you covet more for a Z receiver. The X is a completely different kind of receiver and requires a different skill set. They aren't commonly interchangeable. In fact, I'd liken the X receiver to a LT on the O line. The needs of that position are similarly unique comparative to the OG/RT positions.

To be an X receiver, you can't just be big. You have to be able to release and beat the jam. You also can't utilize speed/agility/motion to get yourself free from coverage. Wide receiver skills matter more at that position. Matthews has those skills and has been visibly improving them year to year.

If he does somehow manage to break into the 4.4 range at the combine, I'd put him ahead of Coleman. I'm very concerned that Coleman is going to be unable to work the curl/out routes in the tree. He has great size, but doesn't really show great feet or flexibility. Those are needed to execute the 3/4 (curls) and the 5/6 (out/dig) routes. He doesn't get low which makes his break incredibly lethargic. He also has shown little ability to work his routes and force corners to abandon good position on coverage. Doesn't mean he can't do those things with time -- but physically, his size/flexibility and feet don't indicate to me that he will develop those traits.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Sounds like Jordan Matthews has been very average at the Senior Bowl, confirming my biggest worry about him (speed/separation). I love everything about him, especially the work ethic, but I think you are drafting a solid #2/3 WR with him.

I'd like us to go after a potential difference maker with either great size or speed. He's just right in the middle with nice size, below average speed. In R2 or 3, I'd be on board, but no way I could do a 1 on him.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":2jau9mb1 said:
Sounds like Jordan Matthews has been very average at the Senior Bowl, confirming my biggest worry about him (speed/separation). I love everything about him, especially the work ethic, but I think you are drafting a solid #2/3 WR with him.

I'd like us to go after a potential difference maker with either great size or speed. He's just right in the middle with nice size, below average speed. In R2 or 3, I'd be on board, but no way I could do a 1 on him.

FWIW they said a lot of the same things about Keenan Allen (speed/seperation/etc) last year (who I still believe we should have drafted)

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I would be happy if Jordan Mathews was the second TALL target we took for R. Wilson but if he is supposed to be the primary threat i would be disappointed.