1st Round Pass Catchers

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
I would love it if Seattle looks at one of the four guys at the end of the first round:

Jace Amaro (TE/WR) Texas Tech 6'5" 260 lbs 106 rec, 1352 yds, 7 TDs

He was listed as a TE but he really is more of a hybrid wide receiver. He does a good job of using his size in traffic and is physical after the catch. In watching him he needs to refine his blocking quite a bit. Most consider him the 2nd best TE on the board so he may not last to pick 32.

Jordan Matthews (WR) Vanderbilt 6'3" 206 lbs 112 rec, 1477 yds, 7 TDs

Very impressed in the limited times I've seen him so far. Good combination of size and speed (listed as running a 4.5 which isn't bad for a guy that tall). Little bit of a slight frame, but can probably add 8-10 pounds onto that frame without losing speed or quickness.

Allen Robinson (WR) Penn State 6'3" 210 lbs 97 rec, 1432 yds, 6 TDs

Didn't watch him play much but I like what I've read about him. Maybe somebody else can give a little scouting report. But you can't ignore 174 catches for 2470 yards and 18 touchdowns over the last two seasons.

Kelvin Benjamin (WR) Florida State 6'5" 234 lbs 50 rec, 954 yds, 14 TDs

Easily the most physical of the four on this list. Very difficult to bring down (reference 19.1 yds/catch). He is also the most raw in my opinion. However he also may have the most upside of any receiver in this draft (not my words). Seen him going anywhere from a top 10 selection to middle of the second round.

I really think a bigger target that is a real quality pass catcher is what this offense need to go to the next level. I realize that we also need to address the offensive line (maybe even more than getting another pass catcher) but all of these guys will be gone by the 64th pick for sure and we can probably still get an OG or RT at that spot.

Snohomie

Reaction score
I have studied Robinson a bit. He moves very well for his size, unlike some big WRs. I didn't see him challenged vs press coverage so I can't speak to that, but he has the tools to get off the LOS well if he can be coached. Good separation on short routes, hard to get a feel for deep ones with the TV angle but he did run past a couple guys deep. Catches the ball away from his body well, but lets passes into his pads. I think I saw about 3 doips in 35+ targets. Decent effort as a blocker, can make some moves after the catch.

I don't see anything truly special, but he is a good athlete with a good build that can play football. Reminds me of Robert Meachem or Terrance Williams (though the PS offense is not at all like the Baylor offense, I think they could mimic each other's roles easily if they had switched schools).

getnasty

Reaction score
I would add Brandon Coleman and Davante Adams to that list.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
getnasty":2bhsgj2n said:
I would add Brandon Coleman and Davante Adams to that list.

Yeah, that list is just exhaustive at this point:

Coleman
Adams
Robinson
Matthews
Beckham Jr.
Parker
Cooks
Benjamin
Landry
Moncrief

Then there is a pretty big third tier too:

Abbrederis
Richardson
Davis
Street
Hoffman
Gallon
Greene

I will reserve opinion until the combine. It is pretty clear to me, that after Evans, Watkins and Lee -- there are around 8 to 9 prospects that are good but really don't separate from each other. All either very productive or have been in the past. The combine will serve to either separate them or cement their lack of distinction from one another.

If one doesn't lift themselves from the pig pile, I would have serious doubts we go WR in round 1 at all. The WRs available in the 25 to 75 range are all now indistinguishable from one another. A huge 'pocket of talent'. We may all have our pet favorites but we should all concede that there is little consensus on any of these guys.

Really seems like a situation where Seattle could trade back, maybe even more than once, and still come away with a guy they think they can develop. Because as it stands pre combine, it's the post draft development that is going to make the difference in this group.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Benjamin is one of the most frustrating players you'll ever watch. Capable of so much, yet never seems to get out of second gear. And some of his drops -- wow. Too many 'WTF' moments with him.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I'd have no interest in Allen Robinson until R3 (I know we don't have a pick there). He doesn't play very big and he isn't all that fast.

I don't mind gambling on upside, but there are things you can't teach WRs. 2 of the biggies IMO are hands and high pointing (involves hands). I think these are just innate abilities that one doesn't learn, but rather has a natural instinct for.

I'd personally add Beckham and Landry to that list because they offer very good speed and play much bigger than 6'. Both are very natural at pretty much everything and dominate the red line. Landry, especially has really rare ability to high point the ball. Lastly, I think both guys run mid 4.4s and certainly play that fast.

Last name who really intrigues me, Donte Moncrief. I think he is going to blow up the combine and has some of the best potential in this class. He's a big body who is very fluid and can flat out run. Not sure I'd draft him in R1, but I'd certainly entertain a drop down into R2. I think out of the second tier/non-1st round guys, his potential is the highest. Last key point on Moncrief, I believe he is only 20 years old. IMO, that means he still has some physical upside as well as no panic to force him in a role he can't handle because he's not a 23-24 year old in his rookie year.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I haven't scouted Amaro, but out of the other three, I like Robinson the best, though Matthews is a close second. I like that that he produced in an NFL offense despite playing with a freshman QB and against defenses that played to stop him. He can make plays anywhere over the field and has the size to go over the middle (which we sorely lack). An intelligent player on the field who can make big things happen outside of the system or play design, he runs great routes for his size, has shown he can snatch the ball with his hands despite his tendency to body catching too much (similar to Golden Tate), and the thing I like the most is his YAC ability which reminds me of Harvin. Not so much his speed, cause he's not an especially fast player, but because when he makes his catch he's has that immediate catch-and-go that surprises defenses and goes well with his size. Lastly, he's only 20 years old. Lots of years left in him.

Kelvin Benjamin worries me. He has amazing size, but it appears to me he lacks football instincts and runs poor routes at times. With less than perfectly thrown balls he fails to adjust and attack the ball, instead waiting for the ball to come to him. If it wasn't for college-level competition there would be be a few more interceptions as a result. Because of his great length, he's a great deep threat, but I'd rather we drafted a more complete football player who can make plays in a variety of other ways.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Hey all. Been a lurker since you drafted RW and really grew to love the current Hawks team as well as all you guys. Best fanbase in sports. Anyway, one guy to keep a lookout for is Quincy Enunwa from Nebraska. Born and raised a Husker fan so I've seen plenty of Quincy, and he's a freak. 6'2" 225, and he'll test very well at the combine. Could be a mid to late round steal. Think Chris Harper, only more athletic, better hands, and even nastier. Stats aren't great (51 rec 753 yds 12 td) but we haven't really had much for a throwing qb. He's raw, but given time he could be that big bodied force on the outside.
[youtube]OG58FA_zbsQ[/youtube]
[youtube]cVaJ4T7vv38[/youtube]
[youtube]quggpaArq4A[/youtube]

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Well, after posting earlier my thoughts on a Kelvin Benjamin, I decided to go back and rewatch the tape available for him and some other receivers in the draft. After some consideration, I'm gonna flip-flop on the guy. He is just such a freak athlete. There's no denying KB's big play threat ability and combination of size and athleticism. Whatever concerns I still have, I'd be an idiot to allow his negatives to blind me from his positives.

In Carroll's play-action ran offense, playing off of Harvin's skill set, I could see Pete utilizing his size and deep speed the same way Mike Williams was successful doing at USC. Something we've yet to really see on this Seattle team.

So sign me up for the bandwagon. I'm still rooting Allen Robinson, as I love what I'm reading on AR's work ethic and competitive nature to go along with his play on the field, but add another name to the growing list of receivers I'd be happy to see the Hawks draft in the first round.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
KB is going to get beat up in the NFL. That big lanky body is going to get blown apart.

He needs to put on a lot of weight.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
SonicHawk":u5soq8q1 said:
KB is going to get beat up in the NFL. That big lanky body is going to get blown apart.

He's 235 I believe. Also, have you seen AJ Green?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2wbao573 said:

You may be thinking of Brandon Coleman. A lack of size is not a problem with KB. Actually the opposite. He has to work to keep his weight down from what I've read.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
No way he's 235. Lankiest 235 I've ever seen. He might get fat, but he's no AJ Green nor does he have the speed of Green.

And he's going to have AJ Green's problem, you can't put Green across the middle (not that you have to) and he doesn't have the speed to run away on the sidelines nor the route running ability.

Bust prospect in my mind.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2pu1h6dx said:
Benjamin is one of the most frustrating players you'll ever watch. Capable of so much, yet never seems to get out of second gear. And some of his drops -- wow. Too many 'WTF' moments with him.

Latest posts