Tre Mason

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
He runs tough for a compact back but they over use him at Auburn. Reminds me of Ray Rice at Rutgers where they ran him to death. Those kind of guys are usually productive starters their first few years but the tread starts to fall off the tires fairly early in their NFL careers as it did with Rice this year.

He does have some physicality in his game reminiscent of Beast. Nowhere near as strong as Marshwan but I think Mason has better vision, elusiveness, and speed.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Mason hasn't quite had to carry the load like Rice did. Rice's '06 and '07 seasons both featured more carries than Mason got this year. And Mason was only at 171 carries last season.

If he returns to Auburn for his senior season, he'd have to run the ball almost 400 times to match in 4 years what Rice did in 3.

cover-2

Reaction score
Bishop Sanky has more career rushing attempts than Mason by at least 100 more, so I don't think teams will be scared off by the number of carries he had in college.

Mason body type and similar running style remind me of Giovani Bernard. But, then again Mason could be the next LaMichael James. Auburn's offensive scheme and Oregon's offensive scheme are running back friendly, you could plug in any half way decent RB in those schemes and those players will be successful.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Yes. I was mistaken. Mason had 80 carries his last two games but he really hasn't absorbed the overall punishment that players like Rice did during his college career.

Mason is a talent. I think he declares for the draft. If he shows he can consistently catch the ball he could go in round 1.

Chapow

Reaction score
KevinBaconCocky":34c6bz22 said:
Is Tre Mason the next beast mode?

From what I have seen, which admittedly isn't all that much, the next beast mode is already in the NFL and his name is Eddie Lacy.

drrew

Reaction score
Judging by last weekend, Eddie Lacy is the closest thing the NFL has seen to another Beast Mode.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Mason declared for the draft today, and was reportedly given a 3rd round grade by the draft advisory board. I sure wouldn't complain if we traded down from the 1st to add a 3rd rounder in that case.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3kn64y9w said:
Mason declared for the draft today, and was reportedly given a 3rd round grade by the draft advisory board. I sure wouldn't complain if we traded down from the 1st to add a 3rd rounder in that case.

That would give us running back selections in each draft over the past 3 years. I get that we're a running team, but that might be a bit much for such a fungible position.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
We have a pretty solid template that we adhere to regarding RBs. Mason doesn't fit the profile at all.

We are pretty formulaic in that regard. Similar to how we grade LBs.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I'd pick Spencer Ware over Tre Mason comparing running styles to beast mode. And he is already on the team! Bonus!