Jared Abbrederis

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
I'm really excited about this deep WR class.

I'm surprised that Abbrederis has not received very much draft chatter. 6'2" 190, redshirt senior, originally a walk-on QB, apparently. I first took notice to him when I was watching clips of Russell Wilson at Wisconsin...he seemed to really have a good chemistry built with Wilson. The TD pass off of playaction in the 2011 Rosebowl was vintage Wilson (see 0:42 mark in http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jared-abbrederis-vs-oregon-2011/).

Here are the last 3 years of his production at U.Wisc (including his 2011 year with Russell Wilson at the helm); source Wikepedia. I was surprised that his production was actually better in 2013...maybe they relied on him more after Montee Ball left.
rec yds avg TDs
2011 Wisconsin 55 933 17.0 8
2012 Wisconsin 49 837 17.1 5
2013 Wisconsin 78 1,081 13.9 7

His route running seems really good. Over and over again, I see him getting wide open; he excels at double moves (see 3:50 mark in the Ohio game, 1:48 in the Penn State game--where the QB was criminally inaccurate). He has also shown that he can catch a tough throw in traffic.
http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jared-abbrederis-vs-ohio-state-2013/
http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jared-abbrederis-vs-penn-state-2013/

Pros:
Polished routes
Not an ounce of diva http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120913aac.html
Good hands
Not afraid of contact

Cons:
OK speed, but not elite speed. Some scouting sites have him clocked at 4.52, and projected at R3 (for comparison sake, Baldwin at 5'10" clocks in 4.48 at his pro-day and Kearse at 6'1" 4.50 at combine).
Decent Height at 6'2", but not a huge target per se.
Just turned 23 yo, he's a redshirt senior...could his treads be running thin?

I like him, but is he enough of an upgrade to Kearse to warrant using a draft pick? I would not be sad if Seahawks drafted this guy in round 4 or 5, particularly if we pick-up ASJ in round 1.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
He's received a lot of chatter. But usually, it's in the form of 'Plan B if our guy doesn't drop' conversations.

He pales to other bigs, simply because there are more dynamic/athletic prospects in this draft. He is very slight of build, which hurts his comparative value to the dozen or so 6'2"+ receivers that top 205.

I see a lot to like about him. But he's not going to be in the same conversation as other day 1 prospects who look the part of game changing prospects.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I absolutely love this guy because he is a clutch receiver. I hope we find room for him on the roster because he will be a difference maker and I think 3rd downs would be where he shines.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Found this on Jared with some blurbs about the other top wide receivers

"9. Jared Abbrederis, Wisconsin: Arguably one of the most underrated prospects in college football, at least prior to a 78-catch season that included a 207-yard explosion versus Ohio State (and potential first-round CB Bradley Roby). Abbrederis can line up wherever a team might need him and find a way to get open. He doesn’t jump off the tape like, say, Evans or Watkins … and yet, the ball keeps finding its way into his hands, despite Wisconsin’s shaky QB play."

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/02/nfl-draft-2014-mike-evans-top-10-wide-receivers/?sct=obnetwork

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'd be mildly surprised if Wilson didn't have some good insight into Abbrederis. Don't know if he'd bang the drum for him or not, but he is certainly going to be in a position to give some good information on him.

Obviously in his one season with Wilson, he was Russell's favorite receiver.

Stuje1

Reaction score
Abbrederis is clutch. I have watched him for four years at wisc and he is AWESOME. He has been our only decent receiver last year, so teams have focused on him, and he still gets open. plus, our QBS at wisc have been very mediocre last couple years after RW. RW and Abbrederis had a lot of chemistry at wisc. I thinks he would be a great third rd pick.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
You know the draftniks will spot the Wisconsin connection and pair him up with Seattle in their mocks.

I just wonder if we'd even be talking about him if not for the fact that he caught balls from Wilson.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1k1fr4we said:
You know the draftniks will spot the Wisconsin connection and pair him up with Seattle in their mocks.

I just wonder if we'd even be talking about him if not for the fact that he caught balls from Wilson.

We would, just not as prominently.

He's a late day 2 WR. Right in line with the kinds of WRs we've picked in the PC/JS era. Certainly, he'd be in the discussion. Particularly if we don't go WR early.

And I suspect he'd be linked to us even if he played at Penn State. His background, and unique abilities (route running/speed) would paint him in a favorable light in terms of what we understand about how we grade talent. His determination to grow and hone his craft screams of the type of prospect Seattle favors.

The fact is, Abbrederis has been productive since Wilson left too. Despite a real lean couple of seasons QB wise at UW-Madison.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Here's some cool info from wikipedia

Abbrederis earned first letter while playing in all 13 games and starting two games. Finished the season tied for second on the team in TD receptions (3), fourth in receiving yards (289) and fifth in receptions (20). Jared had a season-high 79 receiving yards, including a career-long 74 yard touchdown catch, on two receptions and returned one kickoff for 52 yards against Indiana on November 13, 2010. After the season, Abbrederis was named to Rivals.com's Freshman All-Big Ten Team.

Abbrederis earned his second letter, starting in all 14 games at wide receiver. Finished the season ranked third in the country, averaging 15.8 yards per punt return, second-best in a single season in Wisconsin history (min. 15 returns). Led the team with 933 receiving yards, the fifth-most in school history and most by a sophomore. Jared's eight receiving touchdowns were second on the team and tied for the fifth-most in one season at UW. His 55 receptions was also second on the team and seventh-most in school history. He finished second in the Big Ten and 13th nationally with 1,999 all-purpose yards. Recorded a 60-yard punt return TD against Indiana on October 15, 2011. His 346 all-purpose yards in the Rose Bowl vs. Oregon were one yard shy of Ron Dayne's school record. Following the 2011 season, Abbrederis was named honorable mention All-American punt returner by SI.com. He was also awarded a scholarship.

Abbrederis scored two touchdowns on September 1 against Northern Iowa. Had a career high 147 receiving yards on September 22 against UTEP. Following the season, Abbrederis was named consensus first-team All-Big Ten.

Abbrederis was named to the preseason watch lists for the Biletnikoff Award, Paul Hornung Award, fourth-team All-American (Phil Steele), first-team All-Big Ten (Athlon, Phil Steele and Sporting News). Abbrederis recorded two catches for 122 yards and two touchdowns on August 31 against UMass. Caught eight passes for 62 yards and a touchdown against Tennessee Tech on September 7. In November it was announced that Abbrederis was named a finalist(one of three) for the Burlsworth Trophy which recognized student-athletes who begain their college football career as a walk-on.[2] A month later he was named the Burlsworth Trophy winner.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Abbrederis

TheWebHead

Reaction score
Abbrederis came in at 6' 0 7/8" at the Senior Bowl, 189 lbs... given the size of the WR group, drafting him, unless they play on moving on from Tate and use free agent money (or another pick) on a taller receiver, might not be the plan.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
His height was a surprise. Although by accounts at practice, he's among the best performers thus far.

This year may be a year where you throw out the measurables a bit. There are plenty of good players out there who just aren't prototype size this year. Lots of unique quality.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Just to throw another name in here, Josh Huff 5'11.5 and 210lbs, has been tearing up the Sr Bowl practices so far. His game is basically a bigger Golden Tate but more explosive. Also he played through injuries, vs UW it looked like he had a badly sprained ankle and he would return, only to come bad to catch a 60 yard td on his first play. He's always arguably the best blocking WR in this years draft.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Stuje1":161pn4k5 said:
Abbrederis is clutch. I have watched him for four years at wisc and he is AWESOME. He has been our only decent receiver last year, so teams have focused on him, and he still gets open. plus, our QBS at wisc have been very mediocre last couple years after RW. RW and Abbrederis had a lot of chemistry at wisc. I thinks he would be a great third rd pick.

The problem is we dont have a 3rd round pick this year. Is he worth a 2nd / will he drop to R4 or do we trade up? Our picks seem to be at a premium this year.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
^^ fwiw, our 2nd rounder is one pick away from the 3rd round. Also, we all should know by now that if the Seahawks like a player enough and they think he won't be there later then they'll pull the trigger regardless of perceived value. Not to mention every team's big board can be pretty varied in it's rankings of any given player. And in fact, it almost seems certain anymore that PC and Co WILL ABSOLUTELY nab up a player projected to go later and the usual .NET comments will fly - "I liked such and such but just not in that round, terrible pick".

On another note, I'm with TheWebHead up there - I'd love to see them add some size to the group. Big and physical is our MO everywhere else but there. But there's no telling which way Pete would go on a WR - You know he loves size but he looks for a playmaker regardless of size first and formost - atleast that's my impression.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Shane Falco":2o8hlxjd said:
But there's no telling which way Pete would go on a WR - You know he loves size but he looks for a playmaker regardless of size first and formost - atleast that's my impression.

That's why I think he might go for Robert Herron at the bottom of the 2nd. Golden Tate's replacement?

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":by8ixhft said:
Stuje1":by8ixhft said:

The problem is we dont have a 3rd round pick this year. Is he worth a 2nd / will he drop to R4 or do we trade up? Our picks seem to be at a premium this year.
He's definitely worth a 2nd. It's just a matter of how much importance the Hawks are going to place on the wr position this draft.

randomation

Reaction score
Pick up Abby or Borland and you guys will pretty much have all of wisc behind you especially if tate leaves in free agency since for some reason people are still pissed here about the hail mary no idea why /shrug not even a playoff game and it got the real refs back much sooner than may have happened otherwise.

Anyway from watching Abby he is one of the best route runners in the draft period its why he was able to excel with freaking Stave throwing to him for the most part he has good hands and makes incredible catches though every once in a while he will let an easy one drop not often but it happens. He also has very deceptive speed he doesn't look fast but somehow constantly gets behind the D, if we had RW instead of sunshine throwing to him this year he could have easily had 20 TDs not even joking that is how wide open he manages to get and then be either over or under thrown its a constant guessing game which will happen. Abby is also very good at high pointing the ball and plays much taller than his height would suggest. I think he could be absolutely deadly in a slot receiver role. Overall I am guessing he will go early 3rd so 32nd in the 2nd round would not be much of a reach.

With a competent qb this year he would likely have been a consensus AA and be going higher, highlights this year include flat out embarrassing Bradley Roby at OSU to the tune of 200 yards on a supposed 1st rounder and of course making Stave look marginally competent. Other then that I don't think I have ever seen him get flat out chased down, he is also a very good punt returner and was one of the more dangerous ones in the nation last year, which could be quite useful if tate ends up walking. As I'm guessing it will be between keeping DB or tate and I expect DB will be the one kept.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Virtually anyone who follows the Badgers generally concur that Abbrederis will be a starting WR in the NFL. I just have a feeling that he's going to be higher on our board than expected.

He just has a knack for getting open. You can see he works at his craft. He doesn't have Tate's elusiveness. But I agree, keeping Tate is going to mean letting someone else go. Not sure who that would be. If we do let Tate walk, it enhances our ability to keep Baldwin and someone else. I do expect we'll go for an X receiver early in the draft. Jared isn't suited for that. To get Jared, we'll have to trade around to the early/mid third round or take him at the end of round 2. Kind of hard to imagine we'd double dip at WR in rounds 1 and 2.

His versatility and special teams quality will elevate him. I don't know if it would come to pass, but Wilson's recommendation could go a long way. That is if he would endorse him. They did only play for a single season and that was 2 years ago. If he gets below 4.5, he may not be around for us to take him at 64. Not a lot of burner prospects this year.

He, like Coleman, really suffered with poor QB play. Jared was wildly more productive this year. But Coleman was superior last year and played hurt this season. Stavi is Joe Montana compared to Gary Nova at Rutgers.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out this year. Abbrederis isn't the physical prospect we typically gravitate to. But his improvement in route running year to year and if he has sufficient speed -- he could be in the day 2 mix.

It's worth noting too, that Seattle is short on their 9-10 pick quota. The easiest way to gain picks is to move your #1. And we've been pretty consistent with moving our first round picks.

kearly

Reaction score
Abbrederis in the NFL = Jermaine Kearse. (That's a compliment). I think he'll be a really good hands receiver who will give teams a lot of bang for the buck as a #3 WR. I'd be all for Seattle acquiring him, except that he doesn't really address Seattle's need for a WR that scares the shit out of DC's. If it's a late round pick, I'd definitely want Seattle to take him, but not if it means ignoring the need for another gamebreaking WR.