TE Duel

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Washington - 6'6'' 266lbs. - Projected 40 = 4.7-4.9

[youtube]9N-8Ip7cPZg[/youtube]

"Broad-shouldered, long-armed mismatch in the passing game with rare body control and soft hands for a man of his size. Good initial quickness off the snap and possesses very long arms and strong hands to get a clean release off the line of scrimmage.

Reliable route-runner. Finds holes in the defense and settles, presenting a massive target to his quarterback. Catches the ball with defenders in close proximity due to his size advantage, as well as concentration and toughness to hang on while absorbing a hit. Impressive flexibility and body control for a man of his size. Adjusts well to the ball, showing the range to leap high or bend low, exhibiting an impressive catch radius. Smooth accelerator with at least fair top-end speed.

Imposing ballcarrier with the ball in his hands, capable of running through arm-tackles. Improved significantly as a blocker in 2013, showing greater strength and aggression as the Huskies featured others in a new high-octane spread offense.

Displayed humility and accountability by serving one-day sentence in jail and speaking to youth (along with the arresting officer, and a mother of a high school-aged student killed in a DUI-related accident) about the dangers of alcohol after pleading guilty to a DUI rather than pleading out and taking a lesser sentence."
-http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2028290/austin-seferianjenkins

C.J. Fiedorowicz - TE - Iowa - 6'6" 265lbs. - Projected 40 = 4.7-4.9

[youtube]yhajt-X2W-4[/youtube]

"Good versatility, showing the ability to come off a down block to get past defenders as a receiver. Good body control and soft hands for such a large man, traits that have led Washington junior Austin Seferian-Jenkins to earn a lot of attention as a possible first-round pick. Fiedorowicz isn't as flashy as ASJ, but he's just as big and fast in a straight-line and is a much more physical and attentive blocker."
-http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737104/cj-fiedorowicz

While all of our reactions may to be to go for the flashiest TE, the play making TE, it's important to remember the system PC will be placing him in, and what job he will be expected to do. Which for the main part is blocking. And considering most people are of the opinion that Zach Miller will be let go because he isn't worth the money next year, I don't really see PC/JS labeling the TE position as 1st round material. Luke Wilson is up and coming, Davis does a good job blocking, so I am not really sure they reach and go for ASJ. CJ seems like a solid alternative a round or two later.

SDHawk

Reaction score
I like Colt Lyerla in the 7th or as a UDFA. Greater needs in the earlier rounds including WR, OG and DE.

OP
OP
bbsplitter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
SDHawk":2nf5lm4n said:
I like Colt Lyerla in the 7th or as a UDFA. Greater needs in the earlier rounds including WR, OG and DE.

Probably the most likely scenario

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Colt Lyerla is quickly becoming the most frustrating name in football.

Every fan in the NFL expects their team to draft this guy. Nobody seems to care about the way he left Oregon. Nobody cares about the Coke issue.

Big name players with huge character issues get talked about way too much every year.

SDHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2ee313bn said:
Colt Lyerla is quickly becoming the most frustrating name in football.

Every fan in the NFL expects their team to draft this guy. Nobody seems to care about the way he left Oregon. Nobody cares about the Coke issue.

Big name players with huge character issues get talked about way too much every year.

I don't think your characterization of the average roster-bater is fair. We may not have the inside scoop like you and Kearly do, but I think we are well aware of the coke issues.

We're also aware of how the Seahawks run their program - focusing far more on the players' mental health than the typical program and going the extra mile to create a nurturing environment. What was your opinion of Bruce Irvin and his character flags prior to the 2012 draft?

Not many programs have what it takes to keep players on the straight and narrow. I think if there is any team that can help Lyerla break through, it will be the Seahawks.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not trying to position myself as any kind of authority on this with that last post about Lyerla. I'm not. I write about the draft, but I'm still just a guy on the internet offering an opinion and I have no delusions of grandeur.

But I feel that every year there's a bone head out there that fans -- not just in Seattle -- spend way too long salivating over. This year it's Lyerla.

Irvin was a completely different case. He had issues many years before he was drafted. By the time he was entering the NFL, he'd gone to Junior college and then West Virginia. He put up two years of consistent production in the NCAA and was one of the best pure pass rushers in college football. And importantly, he kept his nose clean.

Was I concerned about his roots and upbringing? A little. But the fact there was genuine evidence he'd turned his life around -- plus the background knowledge Pete Carroll had on the guy -- made me believe he was a reformed character. And that has proven to be accurate.

Lyerla on the other hand has proven nothing. He is the polar opposite of Irvin. All of issues are recent -- clashing with coaches, getting kicked off the team, issues with coke and then getting arrested. This is the now. Unlike Irvin, he won't be going to JUCO and then a big school where he can put up major yardage and show he's a changed man.

The player who played for Oregon briefly in 2013 is a nightmare and not someone I want on my team. He has to convince NFL teams that isn't the case in an almost impossible environment.

And unlike Irvin -- and guys like Tyrann Mathieu who have also had drug issues -- he has very little good tape or production in college to fall back on. Irvin had two great years at WVU before turning pro. Lyerla's most productive year equated to 392 receiving yards within the most explosive offense in college football.

He was all potential. He came into 2013 as a rough diamond who needed to become a more consistent feature at Oregon and put up some numbers. Not only did he fail to do that, he became a soap opera.

We really have no idea whether it's even possible to reach Lyerla and put him on the straight and narrow. Likewise, I cannot say whether it isn't possible. But what I do know is -- Oregon have some fine coaches and a superb set up. And boy did they give this guy some chances. They worked their tails off with him.

And he blew it big time.

He has major, major issues and IMO he should be an afterthought until the day he's a Seahawk -- if that ever happens.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't say Colts issues are only recent. It's a long story, but his mom is a certified nut job who actually started a lot of his issues with the coaches. He also is the only 5* recruit I've ever heard of who got asked to go home on an official visit while at UCLA for being drunk and high. Mommy got kicked out of a bar last month, and on the way out she told everyone they would be sorry, and that her son is going to be a first round pick.

Colts issues are because of his home life, and his best chance to turn it around would be to get away from her.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
CPHawk":8mruwlif said:
I wouldn't say Colts issues are only recent. It's a long story, but his mom is a certified nut job who actually started a lot of his issues with the coaches. He also is the only 5* recruit I've ever heard of who got asked to go home on an official visit while at UCLA for being drunk and high. Mommy got kicked out of a bar last month, and on the way out she told everyone they would be sorry, and that her son is going to be a first round pick.

Colts issues are because of his home life, and his best chance to turn it around would be to get away from her.

When I said recent, I meant unlike Irvin he's not turned his life around and put the issues well behind him over a number of years.

Lyerla's issues remain very much in the present.

And they are some titanic issues.

Getting away from your mother is a little different than leaving the hood or dumping a bad influence. It's your mother.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":rslcgeqz said:
CPHawk":rslcgeqz said:

When I said recent, I meant unlike Irvin he's not turned his life around and put the issues well behind him over a number of years.

Lyerla's issues remain very much in the present.

And they are some titanic issues.

Getting away from your mother is a little different than leaving the hood or dumping a bad influence. It's your mother.
I agree. He seems radioactive. I think if this happened last year and this year he made some positive steps to show he is committed to turning his life around, I would be willing to give him a look. Right now...man, I think money is just going to complicate his issues, not solve them.

Latest posts