De'anthony Thomas Getting 7th Round Grade Early..

jhern87

Reaction score
I highly doubt he falls all of the way down to the 7th but if he slips to say.. Round 5? I'd definitely take a chance on him. He has the skills to be a special teams star.

His biggest knock is his lack of a "real position" but coming out of high school he was a 5* recruit at like 6 different positions. Personally, I think having him in the slot - in a Wes Welker type role- would be ideal. He's very small but I feel like he'll be able to work underneath coverage effectively.

After the combine, I'll guess that he goes round 4.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Trindon Holliday went in the 6th round, so the 5-7 range is probably about right. You're pretty much drafting him only for special teams unless he gains some serious weight. Though he's about as tall as Golden Tate.

rpmischris

Reaction score
I think that if he sits for a year, packs on some muscle, and learns behind lynch, he can be a star. Between him and Cmike... oh boy talk about an embarrassment of riches in the future.

drrew

Reaction score
Thomas is the same size as Dexter McCluster who was an early second round pick. Thomas should beat McCluster's 40 by up to two tenths of a second.

Not sure he can ever be a star, just because it'll be hard to get too many touches at his size, but he should be a first class return man and then flex between third down back and slot receiver. That could be a very valuable player on the right team. I'd never let him touch the ball more than 7 or 8 times a game, but even with that few touches, he'd be a threat to score 6 or so long TD's a season.

CPHawk

Reaction score
jhern87":pjhkdktk said:
I highly doubt he falls all of the way down to the 7th but if he slips to say.. Round 5? I'd definitely take a chance on him. He has the skills to be a special teams star.

His biggest knock is his lack of a "real position" but coming out of high school he was a 5* recruit at like 6 different positions. Personally, I think having him in the slot - in a Wes Welker type role- would be ideal. He's very small but I feel like he'll be able to work underneath coverage effectively.

Link? I haven't seen any proof of him getting such a low draft grade.

OP
OP
jhern87

jhern87

Reaction score
CPHawk":1ly4t68z said:
jhern87":1ly4t68z said:

Link? I haven't seen any proof of him getting such a low draft grade.

A guy on a Ducks forum posted it and just cited a CBS site? I have seen reports of his draft stock plummeting though. It didn't take me long to find this site (that has him in the 6th round with stock falling)

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119318&draftyear=2015&genpos=RB

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I don't see anything here really. He's just too small. You need more than just speed (see Tavon Austin).

kearly

Reaction score
Day three is where I'd grade him. But similar players have gone in the 2nd round. Hearing a 7th grade is slightly shocking. I doubt it will stay that low when Thomas runs in the 4.3s though.

I generally feel that if a player is going to give nearly all of his NFL contribution on special teams, he'd need to be a 6th round pick or later. Thomas is very unlikely to play RB at the next level, and WR is difficult position to switch to. It hasn't been until this year that Dexter McCluster (a college RB) has finally been able to be a minimal factor as a WR. McCluster has been pretty good at returning kicks so KC shouldn't feel terrible about spending a 2nd rounder on him. But if a guy has to hit his full potential as a KR just to not feel terrible about spending a 2nd rounder on him, then you probably shouldn't spend day two picks on KR guys.

A 5th round pick got a mending Leon Washington in his prime, and Washington was actually a very good 3rd down back in addition to his KR ability, which was among the best in the game. A day 3 pick is usually the going rate for a KR.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
A two-day-old thread about D'AT and not a single post from JSeahawks? I'm starting to worry about the guy. Where is he?

CPHawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1kvar78x said:
A two-day-old thread about D'AT and not a single post from JSeahawks? I'm starting to worry about the guy. Where is he?

I've been wondering the same thing? Does anyone know where he's been? I haven't seen him here or on the UO site.

CPHawk

Reaction score
If he's still around in the 3-4, we should take him no question. He's Harvin like in the return game, and honestly you can go a few diffrent ways with him outside of that. Make him a slot, and he can catch well, had 46 as a tr fr, or a guy like Pete can turn him into his best position corner. Were he was rated the top player in the country coming out of HS.

I think people have a bad understanding of DAt around here, he isn't 170, durning the summer he weighed in at 183, which is almost the exact same size as Harvin. If he runs in the mid 4.3s he's a guy that will be a difference maker in the NFL, teams will always have to account for him. Strait line speed there might be faster guys, but curing and getting to top speed I haven't seen any faster.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
CPHawk":2lcf1lrs said:
SeatownJay":2lcf1lrs said:

I've been wondering the same thing? Does anyone know where he's been? I haven't seen him here or on the UO site.

Oh, I'm fine! Just have some better priorities in life the last few months then being message board guy.

cesame

Reaction score
As an Oregon think I don't really think much of DAT's chances in the NFL.

He's not a NFL RB. He's not really a polished receiver. His biggest asset is being a return man in the NFL, which makes him Trindon Holiday as people have said.

I don't buy his NFL future at all.

RW32

Reaction score
He can take to to the house on any play. I would risk in on day 3. But I can't see him lasting long in the NFL. His frame doesn't allow him to put on much size without risking what makes him so good.