DREAM DRAFT and OFF-SEASON ROSTERBATION!!!

SDHawk

Reaction score
OFFSEASON

Re-Sign:
DT-Michael Bennett
WR-Golden Tate
WR-Doug Baldwin
DB-Walter Thurmond
RT-Breno Giacomini
C/G-Lemuel Jean-Pierre
QB-Tarvaris Jackson
K-Steven Hauschka
~$25mm

Cut:
WR-Sidney Rice
DE-Chris Clemens
TE-Zach Miller
RB-Robert Turbin
~$25mm

Notable FA:
G-Paul McQuistan
DT-Tony McDaniel
DT-Clint McDonald
CB-Brandon Browner
~$6mm

DRAFT

Trade 1st rounder for 2nd and 4th

2. WR - Allen Robinson - 6'3/210/4.5
(+) Consistent, Dominant, Clutch. YAC ability, incredible vision and takes great angles. Also has the size, hands and athleticism to be a down field threat. Incredible body control and ability to adjust to the throw. (-) Tendency to body catch and jump unnecessarily leaving some YAC on the field.

[youtube]1go3MU9Cou4[/youtube]

2. TE - Troy Niklas - 6'7/270/4.8
(+) Great movement skills for a guy his size. High-points the ball and very good at catching the ball away from his body. (-) From what I can tell, can improve as a blocker. Also tends to drop the ball when he knows a hit is coming but displays solid hands otherwise.

[youtube]UC6M0SbNReM[/youtube]

4. DE - Aaron Lynch - 6'6/240/4.6
(+) MONSTER. Cut up below is from his freshman season at ND when he was playing at 260 lbs. Get off is incredible. Very explosive and disruptive. Great use of hands. Effective over tackle or guard allowing him to play multiple positions. My second favorite pass rusher after Clowney. (-) Character red flags. Disappointed this season but I think that has alot to do with his playing at 240 lbs and sitting out 2012.

[youtube]T4-UOXKU_54[/youtube]

4. DT - Justin Ellis - 6'2/340/5.3
(+) Beast NT. Consistently collapses the pocket. Mebane replacement?

[youtube]aiImfEwRg3c[/youtube]

5. OT - Laurent Duvernay-Tardif - 6'5/315/5.1
(+) Solid OT. Great in pass pro and run blocking. Can play all over the OL. Could be our future RT. (-) Level of competition in Canada makes him look more dominant than he is. Can he translate to NFL?

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1279374/highlights/97081375

5. CB - Andrew Lue - 6'2/210/4.5
(+) LOB material. Big body and hits hard. Effectively locates and aggressively attacks the ball. (-) Lower level of competition in Canada.

[youtube]OjHkwEUFumk[/youtube]

6. RB - Isaiah Crowell - 5'11/210/4.4
(+) Fits the smashmouth running style of the Hawks. North-South runner with elite jump cut and lateral quickness. Can also get to the edge with speed. Doesn't go down on first contact. Can catch the ball. (-) Maturity issues. Needs to put on about 10 lbs.

[youtube]f2G68V6d4uQ[/youtube]

7. SS/OLB - Boseko Lokombo - 6'3/229/4.6
(+) Kam Chancellor clone. Incredibly strong and has NFL size. Fluid in coverage. Used to play TE.

[youtube]4rB3E-8KsOk[/youtube]

Practice Squad/UDFA/Other guys I like in late rounds:

TE - Colt Lyerla - 6'5/240/4.5
T- Seantrel Henderson - 6'8/345/5.2
SS - Lonnie Ballentine - 6'3/215/4.6
DB - Antone Exum - 6'1/220/4.4

DEPTH CHART

Offense:

QB: Russell Wilson, Tarvaris Jackson
WR-X: Allen Robinson, Jermaine Kearse
WR-Z: Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin
WR-Slot: Percy Harvin
TE: Troy Niklas, Luke Willson, Colt Lyerla
FB: Derrick Coleman, Spencer Ware
RB: Marshawn Lynch, Christine Michael, Isaiah Crowell

LT: Russell Okung
LG: James Carpenter, Alvin Bailey
C: Max Unger, Lemuel Jean-Pierre
RG: JR Sweezy, Michael Bowie
RT: Breno Giacomini, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif

Defense:

FS: Earl Thomas, DeShawn Shead
SS: Kam Chancellor, Boseko Lokombo
LCB: Richard Sherman, Tharold Simon
RCB: Byron Maxwell, Andrew Lue
NCB: Walter Thurmond, Jeremy Lane

LEO: Cliff Avril, Aaron Lynch, Benson Mayowa
DT: Michael Bennett, Michael Brooks, Jordan Hill
NT: Brandon Mebane, Justin Ellis
DE: Red Bryant, Jesse Williams

WILL: KJ Wright, Korey Toomer
MIKE: Bobby Wagner, Heath Farwell
SAM: Bruce Irvin, Malcolm Smith

dutchcoug

Reaction score
I do love reading this kind of stuff. You seem to really love your Canadians. Some nit-picking, how much would we save by cutting Turbin? I would think a mid round RB would be pretty cheap and I think he's still a solid part of our RB rotation. I noticed you don't have any outside FA signing, is that on purpose?

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
dutchcoug":3rjo24o8 said:
I do love reading this kind of stuff. TY

You seem to really love your Canadians. To find talent in the later rounds, you gotta start looking at the smaller schools, kids with character flags and even prospects from Canada. Brandon Browner played in the CFL and Luke Willson is Canadian. FO likes Canadians, too.

Some nit-picking, how much would we save by cutting Turbin? I would think a mid round RB would be pretty cheap and I think he's still a solid part of our RB rotation. I project us as cutting Turbin not for cap reasons but because of talent. He's just unremarkable to me and can't ever see us starting him with confidence. Roster spots are valuable on a team this stacked.

I noticed you don't have any outside FA signing, is that on purpose? Yeah, part of the reason is continuity and familiarity...which I think is very important. Were the best team in the NFL, so why not recycle some parts?

dutchcoug

Reaction score
I get not having any major FA signing but you know the FO will have at least 2-3 mid-level to low-level FA signings. Even last year, look at Avril, Bennett (I guess he was a Seahawk for a pre season), McDaniel and Harvin.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
dutchcoug":1q6xocr3 said:
I get not having any major FA signing but you know the FO will have at least 2-3 mid-level to low-level FA signings. Even last year, look at Avril, Bennett (I guess he was a Seahawk for a pre season), McDaniel and Harvin.

I would argue re-signing players like Michael Bennett and Golden Tate IS a major signing.

There's alot of guys that I would like for us to bring back because of how important they've been to the success of this team.

I think the Hawks will look to bring our guys back before looking elsewhere. If the market is too rich for the players I suggested re-signing, then yeah, I'm sure they'll look outside of our team, but that much is obvious.

DT-Michael Bennett
WR-Golden Tate
WR-Doug Baldwin
DB-Walter Thurmond
RT-Breno Giacomini
C/G-Lemuel Jean-Pierre
QB-Tarvaris Jackson
K-Steven Hauschka

dutchcoug

Reaction score
I should have specified, I meant FA signings from outside the organization, not re-signings.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
CPHawk":244x3iv9 said:
BoLo is 240 now fwiw.

You think he can play SS at that size?

What are your thoughts on him?

I also like Lonnie Ballentine as a SS prospect. Ballentine plays FS at Memphis so he has better coverage skills than BoLo but I like BoLo as an in the box safety and imo, he can play in the same capacity as Kam Chancellor.

CPHawk

Reaction score
He's got all the potential in the world, and does some great stuff out there, but other times he disappears. I really thought he would have a huge year, but that didn't happen. He has the athleticism to play SS, but he could also be a great LB with the right coaching. Could develop similar to Malcolm Smith.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
No idea why people are so obsessed with resigning our wrs when.
1. We are tight on money
2. It's a pretty stacked wr class.
3. It's arguably our weakest position.

The only way to continuously build a competitive franchise is to sign what you need and Draft to replace what you don't. Tate has a more unique skill set, and seems more durable, also get the impression he fits in better and accepts his role better than baldwin but that's admittedly splitting hairs on a minor hunch. I think we tender db with a 3rd or 4th and take what we can get.

Ware can pay back up fb and 3rd string rb, Seems like a total waste of roster space to keep so many backs, we kept too many this year and I can only assume that means they liked what they have. With all the tough cuts we had last year it seems redundant to waste another pick on rb. That's even considering rob and turb gone. I hope they can pull a 5th or anything for turb, but I support that idea.

Instead of rb, I think we should take advantage of this big wr class And take another one later, that or more line backer depth. We've already spent our money on Zach Miller, he's only getting cheaper at this point, I could still see us drafting another te, but keeping Zach for another year for insurance, he's a guy who's already been paid and could see staying for cheap to end his career here as a depth player as I don't see him getting tons of attention from other teams.

All In all I think it's a pretty cool draft, thanks for posting.

cover-2

Reaction score
I don't think we will be able to re-sign all the players than you listed, we have to keep in mind that we need to re-sign Earl Thomas and Sherman after next year. In reality I think we may re-sign both Thomas and Sherman this offseason because they have multiple seasons as being the top at their positions. For me we re-sign Tate or Baldwin, but not both. Baldwin will be a wanted man for teams looking great slot WR.

Robinson and Niklas in the 2nd round would be outstanding. Niklas's size, intiatial quickness, and fluidity scream incredible upside! Niklas comes from the Clay Matthews NFL football family dynasty. I don't know if his mother is a sibling of the Matthews family or if Niklas's mother or father's sibling married into the Matthews family.

I'm not a fan of Aaron Lynch. I like him when he played at 260 lbs, but hated him how he played at 240 lbs. I have questions as to why he dropped 20 lbs...Was it because he thought he would be more productive at 240 or was he taking illegeal stuff to bulk up to 260 and he knew he had to stop? If he shows up at the NFL Combine at 260 lbs and passes the illegal drug testing then maybe I can support taking Lynch in the 4th round.

Ellis in the 4th is good with me, I think that's where I took him in my last mock.

Your two Canadian 5th round selections are intriguing. Laurent Duvernay-Tardif played in the East/West Shrine game and I went back to get a look at him in the game, but I became a little frustrated with the rotating of RT during the game. So I only caught of few of his reps. Drafting two Canadians in the same draft is unlikely, draftniks get enamored with a lot of small school prospects right about this time of the draft process, me included.

I also have the same thoughts as you with Turbin, he is just a guy. I could see Turbin eventually losing his roster spot to a late round RB or undrafted rookie free agent.

7th round pick for me is where you take your project players that are raw prospects with great upside. So I like your argument for Lokombo in the 7th round.

Well thought out mock draft w/offseason signings!

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
cover-2":1dadpqml said:
I don't think we will be able to re-sign all the players than you listed, we have to keep in mind that we need to re-sign Earl Thomas and Sherman after next year. In reality I think we may re-sign both Thomas and Sherman this offseason because they have multiple seasons as being the top at their positions. For me we re-sign Tate or Baldwin, but not both. Baldwin will be a wanted man for teams looking great slot WR.

Robinson and Niklas in the 2nd round would be outstanding. Niklas's size, intiatial quickness, and fluidity scream incredible upside! Niklas comes from the Clay Matthews NFL football family dynasty. I don't know if his mother is a sibling of the Matthews family or if Niklas's mother or father's sibling married into the Matthews family.

I'm not a fan of Aaron Lynch. I like him when he played at 260 lbs, but hated him how he played at 240 lbs. I have questions as to why he dropped 20 lbs...Was it because he thought he would be more productive at 240 or was he taking illegeal stuff to bulk up to 260 and he knew he had to stop? If he shows up at the NFL Combine at 260 lbs and passes the illegal drug testing then maybe I can support taking Lynch in the 4th round.

Ellis in the 4th is good with me, I think that's where I took him in my last mock.

Your two Canadian 5th round selections are intriguing. Laurent Duvernay-Tardif played in the East/West Shrine game and I went back to get a look at him in the game, but I became a little frustrated with the rotating of RT during the game. So I only caught of few of his reps. Drafting two Canadians in the same draft is unlikely, draftniks get enamored with a lot of small school prospects right about this time of the draft process, me included.

I also have the same thoughts as you with Turbin, he is just a guy. I could see Turbin eventually losing his roster spot to a late round RB or undrafted rookie free agent.

7th round pick for me is where you take your project players that are raw prospects with great upside. So I like your argument for Lokombo in the 7th round.

Well thought out mock draft w/offseason signings!

Thanks for your comments, cover-2.

With regard to Lynch, I think sitting out a year had something to do with his weight loss. I also recall the coach saying he wanted Lynch to play at 245, so the system may have dictated his playing weight.

There are several videos on draftbreakdown, if you care to watch some cut-ups from 2013. There's no question he has the frame to play at 260+. To me, the speed and explosiveness is still there... the power is not. That's something he can fix in the weight room. To me, there's not another player with his ceiling available in the mid to late rounds. Worth a shot, if you ask me.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
Mr.Hawkbrah":1209o9kh said:
No idea why people are so obsessed with resigning our wrs when.
1. We are tight on money
2. It's a pretty stacked wr class.
3. It's arguably our weakest position.

The only way to continuously build a competitive franchise is to sign what you need and Draft to replace what you don't. Tate has a more unique skill set, and seems more durable, also get the impression he fits in better and accepts his role better than baldwin but that's admittedly splitting hairs on a minor hunch. I think we tender db with a 3rd or 4th and take what we can get.

Ware can pay back up fb and 3rd string rb, Seems like a total waste of roster space to keep so many backs, we kept too many this year and I can only assume that means they liked what they have. With all the tough cuts we had last year it seems redundant to waste another pick on rb. That's even considering rob and turb gone. I hope they can pull a 5th or anything for turb, but I support that idea.

Instead of rb, I think we should take advantage of this big wr class And take another one later, that or more line backer depth. We've already spent our money on Zach Miller, he's only getting cheaper at this point, I could still see us drafting another te, but keeping Zach for another year for insurance, he's a guy who's already been paid and could see staying for cheap to end his career here as a depth player as I don't see him getting tons of attention from other teams.

All In all I think it's a pretty cool draft, thanks for posting.

When you put together a spreadsheet of salary by year, you'll realize there's a bit more breathing room that what ppl freaking out about the cap will have you believe. Getting rid of the contracts of Sidney Rice, Zach Miller and Clemens also helps alot.

As for depth at RB, the 9ers have Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon, Bruce Miller, Will Tukuafu and Marcus Lattimore. The 9ers and the Hawks are the two most run-heavy programs in the NFL, so it shouldn't be any kind of shock that these two teams have a tendency to roster more RB/FBs than the average team. The fact that these teams tend to "waste" roster space on redundancies give even more credence to the thought that every RB has to be capable of being a starter... that, Turbin is not.

Jville

Reaction score
Cutting a proven starting tight end in favor of a 21 year old rookie is a recipe for inviting disaster on a run first team.

I get the interest in Troy Niklas. But, I do not see Troy as a first year starter in Seattle's offense.

Zack Miller's cap number in 2014 is $4 million less than his 2013 number. After all the seasons that went by without a #1 TE .... it makes no sense to me to throw him away now ... especially with most of the league looking for tight ends. There is no surplus of tight ends ....... there is, however, a shortage.

Luke Willson has improved over the course of the year and figures to make the jump to the next level in 2014.

I'm anticipating that Anthony McCoy will be resigned for 2014 for a one year comeback effort. He has a long history with Carroll and I think he now gets it. Although I think some got carried away with expectations following his 2012 season, McCoy has demonstrated he can be a valuable #3 TE with the ability to rise to the occasion when called upon.

Resigning Cooper Helfet is still very affordable.

Bring on the rookies. But make them compete for a roster spot.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
When you put together a spreadsheet of salary by year, you'll realize there's a bit more breathing room that what ppl freaking out about the cap will have you believe. Getting rid of the contracts of Sidney Rice, Zach Miller and Clemens also helps alot.

As for depth at RB, the 9ers have Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon, Bruce Miller, Will Tukuafu and Marcus Lattimore. The 9ers and the Hawks are the two most run-heavy programs in the NFL, so it shouldn't be any kind of shock that these two teams have a tendency to roster more RB/FBs than the average team. The fact that these teams tend to "waste" roster space on redundancies give even more credence to the thought that every RB has to be capable of being a starter... that, Turbin is not.[/quote]

Eh..I'm not so sure how you can say that, we have a crop of guys due for pay raises... I realize you can release and restructure players like you're doing with clem And Miller But it only goes so far. I hope your right but I'm guessing your assuming we're getting home town discounts when you say that.

Basically Your cutting guys like Miller and letting others walk to resign our weakest link wrs, I just don't get that at all. You think the drop off from a solid position like miller to a rookie is anywhere close to db or tate and a rookie? Crazy when we hardly throw.

Imo, Baldwin and kearse are nothing more than cheap stop gaps, the moment they arnt cheap I don't see it being worth it, they just arnt that good. Not irreplaceable good. Whether you think we have plenty of cap room or not signing all our wrs could essentially mean you're letting guys like wagner and Irvin walk in the future, or not re signing Bennet I mean somethings gotta give. I do think they probably resign tate, I just think he's one of those types that take a discount And he adds an element Db doesnt.

Be really interesting what they end up doing with turb, I'm ready to see the guy go as well, he played a decent amount, you don't think he'll Garner any trade attention? You got me on their rb formula, makes a lot of sense to keep the depth.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
Mr.Hawkbrah":1kjj26yq said:
Imo, Baldwin and kearse are nothing more than cheap stop gaps, the moment they arnt cheap I don't see it being worth it, they just arnt that good. Not irreplaceable good.

We'll just agree to disagree.

Tate and Harvin are two of the best YAC guys in the league which fits this offensive philosophy perfectly - that is, to make explosive results out of low risk plays.

Baldwin had a ridiculous catch rate of something like 70+%. Those are some of the surest hands in the league.

Tate would command something in the $5mm-$6.5mm range... which would be comparable to Nate Burleson or Brian Hartline... hardly overpaying for Tate's contributions, imo.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
I have never disliked tate,when he shows up to play he's one of my favorite Hawks to be honest. He's special and seeing how much be enjoys playing is like a poor man's child of hines ward and Percy Harvin lol. I guess I just see signing of baldwin, not a necessity, call me a minimalist but I think it's just a matter of valuing more crucial pieces over good pieces. I'm all for signing tate and getting a pick for db. The only times I've ever hinted at hinted at them both walking is in the context of not being heart broke not that I expect it.

We can at least agree its fun to speculate and debate on whether we're going to have an awesome team or an awesome team.

kearly

Reaction score
Something to consider about trade down scenarios: first round picks come with a 5th year in the contract. From the 33rd pick on, they only get 4 years. If Seattle sees a guy who they really like at #32, it might be wisest to just take him there as the extra cheap year could potentially have more value than an extra day 3 pick.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm not going to follow the draft this year. But in the past it's often felt like I'm mind-melded to JS and I think the reason is because both of us seem more impressed than most by players making "wow" plays. Look for guys with "wow" qualities or who make "wow" plays (e.g. Bruce Irvin, Christine Michael, etc.). They usually don't bother with some of the more vanilla prospects until the very late rounds, if ever. Even guys like Bobby Wagner, who were vanilla on tape, had "wow" speed on the track.

When looking at linemen, look for dirtbags with run blocking skillsets, even if they have some issues. Guys like Nate Solder or Kyle Long. The more a prospect pancakes an opponent, the more likely Seattle will have him on their radar.

kearly

Reaction score
SDHawk":3dqev8qc said:
Mr.Hawkbrah":3dqev8qc said:
Imo, Baldwin and kearse are nothing more than cheap stop gaps, the moment they arnt cheap I don't see it being worth it, they just arnt that good. Not irreplaceable good.

We'll just agree to disagree.

Tate and Harvin are two of the best YAC guys in the league which fits this offensive philosophy perfectly - that is, to make explosive results out of low risk plays.

Baldwin had a ridiculous catch rate of something like 70+%. Those are some of the surest hands in the league.

Tate would command something in the $5mm-$6.5mm range... which would be comparable to Nate Burleson or Brian Hartline... hardly overpaying for Tate's contributions, imo.

Not to sound mean, but I don't know how anyone could watch Baldwin in the postseason and think he wasn't a good player. I was a Baldwin skeptic, and was slower than most to accept him. But the guy was a total stud for Seattle over their last 4 games or so. Not just on 3rd downs, but on big plays and kickoffs too. He is so legit, and you can now understand why JS fielded so many trade offers for him last offseason.