Mock Draft

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Well I'm sitting here entirely too anxious for Sunday to get here so I thought I'd take a swing at a mock. This is the first time I've ever attempted one so go easy on me.

A few FA issues first. I think Breno and McQ are both gone. I'd like Breno back, but I think someone might offer him more than us. I also think Tate is gone. I think someone will offer him $6-7m/yr and we can't match that. I expect Rice to be cut too. On the defensive side, I expect Clemons to be cut and Red to either be extended to reduce his cap hit or to be cut. I think they will use the savings here to re-sign Bennett. I also expect Mcdonald and Mcdaniel to sign elsewhere leaving some holes in the DL.

So starts who are gone: Breno, Mcquistan, Rice, Tate, Clemons (maybe Red). This gives me an idea of where to go in the draft. I'm using nfldraftscout.com for an idea of where players are ranked for draft purposes.

1st Pick - Trade back into the early 2nd rd and pick up another pick. Probably an early 4th rd pick. With our now early 2nd rd pick, the Hawks take Morgan Moses OT - Virginia. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664226/morgan-moses He's going to compete with Bowie to replace Breno.

2nd rd pick 32 - Brandon Coleman WR Rutgers. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737368/brandon-coleman Huge redzone target for Russell. NFLdraftscout has him down in the 4th-5th rd, but I doubt he lasts that long so I say grab him here. He will do a good job replacing Rice.

4th rd early pick from the trade - Demarcus Lawrence DE Boise State - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1984683/demarcus-lawrence He's been very productive since transferring to my alma mater. In 2 seasons he had 20 sacks and 33.5 TFL. He can be coached up to take over for Clemons.

4th rd pick 32 - Caraun Reid DT Princeton. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=96023&draftyear=2014&genpos=DT Not as much info on him, but he looked good at the Senior bowl and he can help replace the McD brothers.

5th rd pick 5 (Oak)- Devin Street WR Pitt http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1700261/devin-street Seahawks take another WR here. He's a taller player at 6'3 and has good hands.

5th rd pick 32 - Marcel Jensen TE Fresno St http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1673492/marcel-jensen I'm not sure if the hawks re-sign Mccoy or not so TE could be an issue. Jensen is 6'6 260 with long arms. He isn't overly fast but he's a solid receiver and a decent blocker.

6th rd pick 32 - Wesley Johnson OT Vanderbilt http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664572/wesley-johnson A late rd OL pick for Cable to coach up. He will help provide depth along the OL.

7th rd pick 32 - Phillip Gaines CB Rice http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=93207&draftyear=2014&genpos=CB Has the size and speed Carroll looks for in the secondary.

I kind of wanted to throw a LB in there but I didn't know where that would be and ended up passing. I do think that might be a need though with all of our LB near FA.

Good, bad, terrible, thoughts?

wayupna

Reaction score
Evening EverydayImRusselin,

Just seen this and first off great idea i think im going to work on one of these myself now and post it up later, i agree with a few of your picks this year i have followed more college ball then i normally would so im looking forward to seeing what our office can do this year but i think you have covered the bases well here and as we have seen before from the last few drafts the office will certainly find us a few un expected gems in the draft.

Great post and superb work..

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
2 big wrs :th2thumbs:

im hoping they attack our wrs with some size. i also think oline is an area we need to add competition too. d-line will surely need some cheap youth infused to it as well. im not coached up great on all the prospects yet but i like it.

drrew

Reaction score
For the fans that would like a big WR first and foremost, What two WR's from this years team do you not want to see on the field?

This season has essentially been Tate, Baldwin, and Kearse.

Next season, Percy Harvin is sending one of those three to the bench on most plays. Who is the other guy that you want to see benched (or off the team) in favor of Benjamin, Coleman, or anyone else being mentioned?

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
drrew":2whahm6a said:
For the fans that would like a big WR first and foremost, What two WR's from this years team do you not want to see on the field?

Next season, Percy Harvin is sending one of those three to the bench on most plays. Who is the other guy that you want to see benched (or off the team) in favor of Benjamin, Coleman, or anyone else being mentioned?

tate and db will be needing new contracts in the next 2 years. both will not..or at least should not be resigned. so that takes care of one spot at least. its going to come down to whos wanting what money is my guess.

for arguments sake, assuming a rookie even wins the competition, that sends kearse back down.

id be sad to see tate leave more than db, but if we hit on the draft i wouldnt be hear broke to see both of them walk/tagged and spend our money else where. it all depends on what theyre wanting, but i dont see the value in investing much into our arguably weakest and most unused position.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I get the sense that Seattle will go X receiver with the first pick. Mostly because it's a specific skillset and they may not want to risk missing out on one.

I expect them to trade back a couple times. Pick up a third round pick some way.

Jensen seems like a strong pick. If we're looking at TE, he'd have value. I really don't see us in the mix for an ASJ/Niklas/Amaro prospect. I don't even know if we'd be in the Fiedorowicz train either. We could be looking day 3 (Jensen/Leonard or maybe small school prospect like Joe Don Duncan).

I'd also consider Christian Kirksey at LB. He has impressive speed. If they decide to not resign KJ Wright, Kirksey could be a possibility in the 4th.

OP
OP
EverydayImRusselin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
drrew":lmqpcia4 said:

I don't think all of the WR from this year will be on the team for next year. In my scenario above heading into the draft we have Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, Lockette and Walters on the team. I think if that is the case and my mock played out our starting 3 would be Harvin, Baldwin and Coleman.

drrew

Reaction score
Just checking to see if Jermaine Kearse is still a guy you'd like to see lose playing time.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
drrew":3o6k1sij said:
Just checking to see if Jermaine Kearse is still a guy you'd like to see lose playing time.

hah. hindsight is a helluva thing my friend. I could just as easily say that great qbs ala tom brady ect have made a hof living off of throwing to solid wrs, my point holds true...you dont invest into things that dont make your living. we are blessed right now/cursed in the future to have multiple cheap elite players that will need to get paid.. regardless, our success is due to our defense and your dont spend money that will take away from our defense. our upgrading at wr is as much to do with cheaper cap relief is as it to do with improving our position. if you could go sign our entire wr core at the same price and go spend our draft capitol else where then go do it, but thats an impossibility.

regardless, go hawks!!!! holy crap, regardless of whoevers wrong, kearses catch will be cemented in my memory!

OP
OP
EverydayImRusselin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
drrew":27wlkd58 said:

Not trying to be argumentative here since we're all on cloud 9, but in my scenario, Tate leaves and is replaced by Coleman. That leaves Kearse in the same pinball TD spot he's in now.

drrew

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":o4r5u6b4 said:
drrew":o4r5u6b4 said:

Not trying to be argumentative here since we're all on cloud 9, but in my scenario, Tate leaves and is replaced by Coleman. That leaves Kearse in the same pinball TD spot he's in now.

In my mind, if Tate or Baldwin leave, next man up is Kearse unless you're jumping up to get Watkins, Lee, or Evans. Any other rookie WR is battling Lockette for the 4th WR, and with that being the case, I don't target a receiver with the first pick.

TE seems like a much more worrisome position long term than WR and if I were forced to spend an early pick on a specific position, that would be the one.