Why I think Brandon Coleman should be a priority for Seattle

kearly

Reaction score
As much as Doug Baldwin might feed off of disrespect from the media, the reality is that our offense is at its best by far when our receiving corps force defenses to give them extra attention. When Sidney Rice hit IR earlier this season, it was only a short while after his absence that opposing DCs began to disrespect our WRs and some issues began to arise when teams freed their defense up enough to blitz Wilson and attack the bootleg. And Sidney Rice had just 15 receptions at the time, a little less than 2 receptions per game. It wasn't Rice's 2013 production that scared defenses, it was the 'idea' of Sidney Rice that scared them, the idea that at any moment he could go back to being the 1300 yard receiver he was in 2009.

That same level of respect just doesn't exist from guys like Stephen Williams and Ricardo Lockette. And it certainly doesn't exist from Jermaine Kearse (6'2"). Part of that is a lack of production, but part of it is also the fact that Rice physically resembles (build, height/weight, etc) a Larry Fitzgerald type receiver, and while Williams is somewhat intimidating physically, he just makes every catch look so damn difficult. Rice may not be productive, but he has the look of a #1 receiver, he makes it look easy when he catches the ball, and he has a 1300 yard season in his past.

Coleman is more intimidating than any of these guys physically. He's 6'6" with long arms and terrifying speed (his running style and speed remind of Colin Kaepernick). His career yards per catch average is an astonishing 19.2. When you put Coleman under the microscope, he has issues to be sure. But the potential of Coleman turning into a 1500 yard receiver in a typical offense is very real, and therefore the 'idea' of Coleman is quite a bit scarier than perhaps the actual Brandon Coleman is.

If Seattle is going to part ways with Sidney Rice, they need a guy who intimidates defensive coordinators with massive big play potential. There are many other reasons I think Coleman fits Seattle and PC/JS like a glove, but if Seattle seeks a WR in this draft it can't just be a clutch Roddy White type guy, it needs to be a guy who scares the bejeebus out of defenses, even if in reality he only makes a couple catches a game.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Rob mentioned it on SDB and I noticed it too when I read Sando's article on Seattle possibly becoming a dynasty, but Pete really wants a big WR. I think there are 2 clear front runners in Coleman and Benjamin. Watching the videos, I like Coleman more than Benjamin. I'd be beyond thrilled if we drafted him. He's such a giant out on the field.

Sidenote, are you going to do any writing for SDB this year?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I'd take both Coleman and KB and I don't think thats out of the realm of possibility either. Pete loves these type of receivers and I think its possible both will be available with their top two picks.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'm on board with this. Kearly were do you see Coleman going in the draft? I would think we'd have to take him in the first if we can't trade back, i don't see him there when we come around in the second.

ErikG803

Reaction score
That's kinda why I can see them going with ASJ (I have some slight hesitations with him, but would be pretty stoked) if these guys either aren't available or they don't like what they see. You know PC/JS love guys who have the tools to dominate and maybe even change the way their position plays, and ASJ certainly has the tool set to do that. I can definitely see Coleman and especially Benjamin being the guys they end up targeting, though. I'm sure they'll probably pick him just to embarrass me for trying to be a know-it-all here, but it's why I can't see them getting someone like Allen Robinson. While overall he's a great, rounded player, he doesn't have a particular thing about him that makes you think "oh man, if ____ can do _____ he'll be a freak". I definitely see that in Coleman, Benjamin, and ASJ

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Don't mess around and take Coleman with the first pick if he's available. then let the rest fall where they may.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Throwdown":1wjzvmio said:
Anyone have any clips of Coleman in a jump ball situation?

Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin's jump balls will probably hit Coleman in the facemask got 6 or so inches on our starters.

Throwdown

Reaction score
He does, I just want to see it!

We know he has the speed, but I've never heard of his jump ball ability, that would mean more in the red zone than just straight up speed.

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
I haven't seen much tape of Coleman utilizing his size for jump balls.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It's very possible he'd be there at 64. Maybe 50/50. He's kind of a 55 to 75 overall kind of prospect. He'd go before that only to a team that really sees something in him and has the stones to reach on him. Something that Seattle has proven they could do. As it is, there are going to be a LOT of good WRs that teams would have to pass on to take him before #64 that were far more productive. And he does have an awkward inconsistency at the position that is going to turn some WR needy teams off. At times, he looks like a typical 7 foot center trying to dribble up the court. He doesn't appear to track the ball coming at him well and he isn't smooth or terribly good with his hands. Balls just look like they eat him up at times.

He could go at 32, or we could move down 10 spots or so and pick up a day 3 pick and still feel good about getting him. I wouldn't be surprised if any of those three scenarios came to pass.

cover-2

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":11ukh9lo said:
Benjamin out of FSU, right? That guy is a drop machine.

Coleman, I'm all about, though. Coleman in round one, Sutton in round two would be my preferred first two picks.

Coleman's hands aren't much better. I have seen him drop three passes in one game.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I really wonder where Coleman is going to be ranked heading into the draft. I don't see him mentioned anywhere but on Seahawks sites.

McGruff

Reaction score
Most sites have Coleman curretnly ranked as a 4th rounder. That can change, and likely will with a guy of Coleman's size and athletic ability.

But a lot of unseen also effect that status. He's raw. Is that because of lack of coaching or lack of effort? That will only be seen in private interviews, and as much as a guy like Coleman could rise to the 1st or 2nd, he could also fall to the 7th . . .

Throwdown

Reaction score
Coleman had some knee issues this season, I think that might be why he's rated so low right now before the combine. Depending on how looks in the combine he could rocket up the boards.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1vpakl59 said:
Benjamin out of FSU, right? That guy is a drop machine.

Coleman, I'm all about, though. Coleman in round one, Sutton in round two would be my preferred first two picks.

I'd be extremely excited if that happened, but I don't think Sutton will drop past the Jaguars in the 2nd round.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
From what I've seen Coleman is not currently rated as a round 1 or 2 prospect. It could change, but it hasn't changed, so I'm not sure why there's so many around these boards and blogs who talk about him as a first round option. It seems to be creating an echo chamber of hype to select him at #32. I'm all for a taller receiver to replace Rice, but let's get the best football player on the board at one of the positions of need, not chase a player simply because he matches a desired body type.

GCrow

Reaction score
I'm can't help but get a Alshon Jeffrey/Keenan Allen sense with this guy.

All just straight up football players, who were nit picked apart in the draft process saying they're too slow - among other things - and had their on-field production hampered by bad QB play in college. May take a bit longer than a K Allen for him to burst out but think this guys gonna be good. Would love him as a red zone target right from day 1 though.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":az4m4r05 said:
It's very possible he'd be there at 64. Maybe 50/50. He's kind of a 55 to 75 overall kind of prospect. He'd go before that only to a team that really sees something in him and has the stones to reach on him. Something that Seattle has proven they could do. As it is, there are going to be a LOT of good WRs that teams would have to pass on to take him before #64 that were far more productive. And he does have an awkward inconsistency at the position that is going to turn some WR needy teams off. At times, he looks like a typical 7 foot center trying to dribble up the court. He doesn't appear to track the ball coming at him well and he isn't smooth or terribly good with his hands. Balls just look like they eat him up at times.

He could go at 32, or we could move down 10 spots or so and pick up a day 3 pick and still feel good about getting him. I wouldn't be surprised if any of those three scenarios came to pass.

Coleman has what you cannot teach, raw physical ability which Seattle obviously loves. Coleman just needs coaching and a better QB to get him to the next level of his game. which Seattle has shown it is not scared to invest in ability,coach up players and play to the strengths of their games. So I think the Seahawks should'nt get cute and just take him in the first round if he's available.