Guy I would love to look at.. David Yankey - LG - Stanford

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ncf_a_yankey_wm_600.jpg

This guy could be the answer at LG and could be had at 32 (wow that feels awesome to say) ..

As amazing a run as this season was.. I think our interior line can use some work.. especially at left guard. Yankey reminds me a lot of Ben Grubbs, and was on a Stanford line that was just sensational in 2013.

We've had some luck with Nerd Nation of late.. perhaps it's time to look at adding another guy from that fine institution.

davidonmi

Reaction score
you can get a good guard later, at 32 I'd like to either trade down, get a WR/TE, or a pass rusher, and if Breno leaves maybe a RT.

kearly

Reaction score
I love Stanford and Alabama's OL, which is why I feel hesitant to draft OL from those schools. DeCastro, Martin, Fluker, Carpenter, etc. They've ranged from replacement level players to absolute busts in the NFL. And i think part of the reason why is because in college they were surrounded by relatively great lineman, which both masked their individual flaws and hindered their ability to grow.

Seems like the best lineman in the pros tend to be standout linemen on good but not elite OL units. Maybe Yankey truly is really good but at this point I've been conditioned to doubt any prospect from an elite college OL.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":syu3od0v said:
I love Stanford and Alabama's OL, which is why I feel hesitant to draft OL from those schools. DeCastro, Martin, Fluker, Carpenter, etc. They've ranged from replacement level players to absolute busts in the NFL. And i think part of the reason why is because in college they were surrounded by relatively great lineman, which both masked their individual flaws and hindered their ability to grow.

Seems like the best lineman in the pros tend to be standout linemen on good but not elite OL units. Maybe Yankey truly is really good but at this point I've been conditioned to doubt any prospect from an elite college OL.

I'd take Fluker or Decastro in a heartbeat.

Certainly, Alabama and Stanford has had their busts (what school doesn't), it's not as bad as you make it out to be. Fluker was recently named to the All-Rookie Team and Decastro played like a pro bowler at times once he got a full, healthy year to prove himself.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
One guy to keep an eye on in the 5th through 7th range is Tennessee's Zach Fulton. I don't see the value in taking a guard that early.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Everyone knows the value at guard is at defensive tackle.